Bike size

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
Ella has been riding a balance bike for over a year now. She is desperate for a pedal bike. I have managed to source one from lady I know, but it is a 14" and I'm not sure if that will be a little big for her (she has very short legs!) What size of bike was your little one riding at 3.5?
I am rather excited about seeing her on a big bike!

I took mine to a bike shop to try out bike sizes then bought a cheaper one elsewear. DS has a 14" but he's very small and still in 2-3 trousers

My son has a 14 inch one too, he loves his bike with Peddles much more than his balance one

I bought my DS a 14" for his 4th birthday. He's on the smaller side, and it's a bit big for him he doesn't feel confident on it, he is scared to ride it.

We had a balance bike, he didn't take to it. He was also not confident at all on it and wouldn't ride it.

Thanks, I've decided to just leave it and will get her one for her 4th birthday. She has had her balance bike mastered for a while now (she has the balance for a normal bike, definitely wont need stabilisers, and flies like a rocket on it) but my eldest has a 16" bike and I struggle to see my 3yr old (who is 9th centile for height) on a bike only slightly smaller.

We bought DD1 a 14" pedal bike last year for her 3rd birthday. Looked ok and right size in the shop . When she actually came to ride it she struggled still does a little bit and can't turn the pedals fully around she's just turned 4 ! .

We bought DD1 a 14" pedal bike last year for her 3rd birthday. Looked ok and right size in the shop . When she actually came to ride it she struggled still does a little bit and can't turn the pedals fully around she's just turned 4 ! .

Oh really? Thanks, I'm glad I didn't bother then! Think its best to take her to the shop when I get it so she can try first!

I am hoping this summer she will learn to ride it properly . We got her all the accessories and it just seems a waste it's brand new ! .

Kids learn differently maybe your DD would be quicker than mine lol xx

I am hoping this summer she will learn to ride it properly . We got her all the accessories and it just seems a waste it's brand new ! .

Kids learn differently maybe your DD would be quicker than mine lol xx

I just plan on giving her a push and letting her at it (she insists that she can pedal and I know she can balance) so I'm just sort of expecting her to be able to do it! My eldest got a few pushes down a (grass) hill and she was off so hopefully it just clicks for her.

DS has a small pedal bike with stabilisers maybe 10 or 12" which he can just about pedal and he is 82cm if that's any help.
Out of interest where did you find a small enough balance bike I've been looking everywhere but DS just can't touch the floor on any of them. He can't with his pedal bike either but can reach the pedals.

DS has a small pedal bike with stabilisers maybe 10 or 12" which he can just about pedal and he is 82cm if that's any help.
Out of interest where did you find a small enough balance bike I've been looking everywhere but DS just can't touch the floor on any of them. He can't with his pedal bike either but can reach the pedals.

Amazon and I got DD's at a consignment sale. Both of them do not like them.

Thanks I'll check Amazon, I'm not sure if DS will like it either so I don't really want to pay loads. He loves his scooter though so should like it.

Thanks I'll check Amazon, I'm not sure if DS will like it either so I don't really want to pay loads. He loves his scooter though so should like it.

They were not cheap new, if you lived closer I would offer you mine - barely used, lol!

I got my 2 a 12 inch bike but they just cant do it. Not so much the balance its the peddles and thats with being able to use peddles on trikes etc i think there just tougher to push plus if i was to push them down the hill like ud said theyd never stop as they dont understand the breaks and dont put there feet down as they can only touch the ground with there tip toes. Luckily they both like there scooters im hoping they eventually get the hang of it!

My 3 year old (104cm tall) has a 12 inch pedal bike and it's the perfect size for him, he also used it last summer at 2.5 yrs old really well! He still had stabilisers on at the mo but has no trouble pedalling and has just this last week understood about and how to use his brakes. A 14 inch would still be much too big for him though.

Thanks everyone. She is about 95cm tall, so it would probably be far too big then!

We have a Puky LRM balance bike, its teeny weeny. My youngest is 85cm and is fine on it (the seat is raised a bit and she reaches the ground fine) It was the smallest i could find (and I looked for AGES!) It isn't the cheapest, but it is well worth it.

DD turns 4 next month and is typically around the 85th centile on height and a 12 inch fits her, but she still prefers her trike. I took her to the bike shop to try out one to get a fit for size as that was going to be her birthday gift, but she told me she's not ready for a big bike yet and wants to keep her trike. I did end up buying her a balance bike so we'll see if she likes it or not. I'm not holding out much hope LOL

I wish I bought DD1 a balance bike to start off with . Most people's kids seem to love them although she does have a few of those two wheel ride ons ..

Might get one for DD2 as I am sure she will want a big bike before we know it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->