• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Binned my contraceptive pills. What now?

TwilightAgain

LTW for our LO <3
Reaction score
Cerazette has drove me mad, for the past 9 weeks i've bled almost every day. Even more so after sex. So i've finally lost the plot and binned em. I can't take it anymore. The bleeding is ruining my bed sheets and underwear, tampons are killing me because i'm too dry to use despite bleeding (its not enough to use em, but enough to ruin my underwear!) and its a bit of a turn off in the bedroom.....oh i'm bleeding again :dohh:

So i've finally binned em. What now?

I really don't know what to do. A lot of the options are crossed off for me, as I can only have the progesterone (I think thats it) contraceptives because of my migraines. I'm not sure what I should go for, things like the injection and what not are only going to have the same effect as the pill aren't they? (The bleeding)

So I was thinking the cap/diaphrahm or whatever its called :blush: but i'm prone to losing/gaining weight so not sure how effective that would be.

And my partner and I hate use condoms. Argh! What to do! Any advice?

Any recommendations maybe?

Do you think natural family planning might work for you? I've been using the Fertility Awareness Method for 3 months now after getting totally fed up of pill and condoms (I had exactly the same problem as you on cerazette, by the way, I bled for 6 months, and was so dry that I had constant yeast infections, so it was actually acting as a contraceptive by preventing me from EVER having sex).

It does require a bit of self-discipline, but if you can take a pill at the same time every day, you can take your temperature as soon as you wake up every day and enter it on a chart, and check your cervical mucus when you go to the loo. The book 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' (also known on here as 'TCOYF') is the 'bible' for this method, and I find the Fertility Friend website the best way of keeping track of my temps, cm, opks (optional, but I like using them), and other signs like boob tenderness, ovulation pain, mood swings etc.

Using FF and TCOYF together, I pretty much just ask hubby to pull out from CD5 up til about 3 days after I've ovulated, and let him finish inside me if he likes after then, up til AF arrives, and I'm not pregnant yet, lol.

It wouldn't be terrible for us if we were to get pregnant sooner than our rough TTC date, though, anyway, we're prepared to live with the risk, but to be honest, if you do it properly, FAM is pretty much as effective as condoms or the pill anyway, providing when you :sex:, your hubby has had a wee since the last time he ejaculated, to make sure there's no :spermy: in his pre-ejaculate.

Your hubby needs to be totally on board and listening to what you say though, as it's no use if you're being careful to track your fertile days and he's just doing what he likes ;) My hubby doesn't really get into the mechanics of it, and I don't talk to him about CM or anything like that (a few years ago he was totally horrified when I told him that 'wet' down there means mucus, not water, lol), but he knows I'll tell him when it's not 'safe' and he trusts me to get it right.

Anyway, I hope all that rambling was some use to you! Good luck, and go you for ditching the pills!

im on cerazette, and im having completely the same problem!! im currently 3 months into taking it, and so far have managed to NOT bleed for a total of 8 days. not impressed.

i just thought i would let you know that i was on the injection for 2 years, and i didnt bleed ONCE. it was an absolute godsend! however, i was told that i couldnt stay on it for more than two years, but my new doctor has since told me that i could have stayed on it for much longer :dohh: i was told to continue taking the pill for the first month of the injection though, to make sure that i didnt bleed excessively, but it definitely worked!

so just because its still progesterone only, doesnt necessarily mean that it will act in the same way :)

im on cerazette, and im having completely the same problem!! im currently 3 months into taking it, and so far have managed to NOT bleed for a total of 8 days. not impressed.
OMG! Same here! I finally threw them out a month ago because I bled 7 out of 8 weeks.

We are using condoms now which I hate but I don't have a lot of options as I am breastfeeding. It's hard because I'm broody already and can't wait for another but DH definitely is not ready and doesn't want any accidents.

Before I was on BC, OH and I used the withdrawal method and would just avoid days where it was possible that I was ovulating. As for what BC you could use, I think you'll just need to talk with your doctor asap so you can get back on something. I'm having problems with my BC now, so I completely relate. :(

I did the same thing, was on Cerazette for about 7 months...Constant bleeding. In the end got sick of it and came off the pill, I've tried different types of pills and they all end up making me feel like crap - If im not having a near mental break down I'm anemic from constant bleeding.

Being pill free since August, best I've felt since I started the damn things - we're sticking to condoms.

I have the copper coil no hormones it is great, it can make your cycles a little heavier but otherwise it's excellent.

To be honest I'm thinking of just using condoms for a few months or so... My depo drives me nuts, it can be seen as similar to Cerazette. It sucks!

A lot of my friends are using Mirena which is an IUD that releases an active ingredient that prevents the lining of the uterus to thicken. It also acts on cervical mucus, making it "unfriendly" to :spermy:.

It is usually the option of choice (at least here, in Canada) for ladies over 35 (since BCP can be much more dangerous when over 35) and for women who I've had issues with the pill before (such as pill not really working, migraines induced by the pill, etc.).

I'll be using Mirena myself from now on. Well, that is after we get pregnant (hopefully) next summer. As the hormone in it (progestine) is not as aggressive as the hormones in the pill and since it doesn't stop O, it just creates a very hostile environment for the egg, I feel it is a better option. Another goodie of Mirena: your doctor puts it in and it is good for 5 years.

You can use the non hormonal coil? I've heard that is really effective.

Thanks for your opinions ladies!

Natural family planning isn't really an option for us. There is always a chance of a slip up and we've only been together 2 months, its not really something i'm willing to risk. Defo in the future though, maybe 2 years down the line :)

I have considered the injection but my mate was on the injection and when she stopped, 8 months later she was still waiting for a period :dohh:

I'm scared to get the coil, it sounds painful. Apparently more so for those who haven't had babies. I'm too much of a wimp!

I'm pretty much considering the cap/diaphram (sp?) anyone used this before? Easy to use?

Never used the diaphragm, but it has more risks than condoms or IUD as it can move around. If you use this, definitely use it with something else like spermicid.

As far as IUDs and pain, most of my friends on Mirena have never been pregnant and they said that, although a bit uncomfortable, the procedure of putting it in isn't painful at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"