Birds in Nursery?

jjbubbles28

Reaction score
So I am about 5 months pregnant and we are planning our nursery. Our 10 year old parrot has "lived" in what is now the den and will be the nursery. Our home is not very big (only 2 bedrooms) and truthfully there is no other spot for her. She is quiet and I thoroughly clean the cage everyday. In saying that are there any health concerns anyone knows about? Has anyone done this or had this dilemma before?

I dont think its a good idea, Ive always known birds in bedrooms to be a bad idea as they create so much dust from their feathers.

Health issues aside, I'd be so terribly upset with the bird if it woke my baby that I couldn't risk it.

I would probably keep any pets out of sleeping areas. There is an association between exposure to cats and dogs and lower rates of asthma, in the sense that people who have cats and dogs in their homes as babies tend to be less likely have asthma, probably because there is something about being exposed to those allergens that is protective for the immune system later in life. But cats and dogs don't have bedding and I would imagine that kicks up more dust. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that where my baby is sleeping. I'd think of it as a risk in the similar way to other airborne pollutants, which can sometimes increase risk of cot death. Apart from the health issues, which may have more to do just with the health of your baby and the health of your bird (if you've had him/her vetted and checked for any infections, etc.), while it might work for a few months (if you have a baby that is an amazing sleeper, not one that's woken by every little noise), once he/she becomes mobile, it will be like having a toy in the room that can be poked, have things thrown at it, and something to try to play with instead of going to sleep. Health issues aside and I would ask a doctor about that, but I think it would just make sleep really unnecessarily difficult. I would imagine all that would be stressful for a bird, not to mention, the many wake-ups and crying throughout the night.

Is it possible to put your bird in your main living space and up away from poking hands? Or you said, you had 2 bedrooms, is that den one of those bedrooms, or are you saying you have 2 bedrooms plus the den? If so, obviously, make use of that space for both baby and bird. That would make more sense to me. Or if that's not a possibility, would you consider re-homing your bird? In the absence of enough space for everyone, that would be your only other option unless you can get a bigger house.

I would never think about rehoming her. I couldnt live with myself. That den is the second bedroom and besides that room I could only put her in our finished basement. She would get lonely down there which is why I didt want to do that. I will speak to the doctor and go from there, thanks

I think there is a risk of "bird lung" from having birds in such close proximity. I'm in no way a expert maybe research it and ask doctor about it

Can she go in your bedroom or keep baby with you in your room?

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to rehome her. Pets are family and I can't stand when people get rid of them just because they are adding a new family member. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs who sleep in my bed and have free rein of the house and I don't plan on changing that once we welcome baby. My child will grow up with animals and hopefully have the love and compassion for them that the rest of our family does. No need to keep them in a bubble. As long as the bird is clean and quiet I don't see an issue. You can try it and just have an alternate place for her, like your own bedroom, as a backup if it isn't working out. Good luck!

Thank you wondersturck. Many times animal are replaceable or disposable. In heart they are my family. I am immensely clean with her cage and will try it and hope for the best. If any problems arise I will move her until we move to another house. XOXO

Keep the bird in your room not in baby's. Newborns are very delicate and they need clean air to breath. The bird may create dust with its feathers etc. I definayely wouldn't. I'm very adamant about pets and children sleeping apart. I say this and we have a 140 pound dog...we also love pets and wouldn't rehome just put it in your room xx

The baby will be in your room to start with anyway, so I wouldn't stress too much yet.

I agree with minties.
The baby will be in your room for a while anyway. I think we can overthink things sometimes. Maybe position your bird near a window away from babies cot I'm sure it will be fine. If you find it isn't working out with them in the same room then the bird could be moved to the living area or your bedroom. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->