Birth control methods whilst WTT?

maybebaby87

Reaction score
Sorry if there is a thread like this, my search failed me! So point me to the right direction if there is pretty please?!

I was just wondering what methods or birth control (if any) everyone is using whilst WTT!

>I find condoms awful. Uncomfortable, painful and i end up having to stop!

>The pill doesnt 'agree' with me, and i have 21 days of constant abdominal cramps and constipation. My 7 day break is fine.

>My doctor recommended the patch but i'm just afraid of hormonal bc now!!

>I have be using the withdrawal method lately (i should mention i came off depo injection in April and went straight on to pill and have now idea if im ovulating although my cervix is high around the time i would be).

What is everyone else doing??

Just a couple of thoughts...

- Have you tried the super thin, smooth condoms?
- In terms of the patch, if the depo shot worked in terms of no pain, the patch might as well. It's easy to remove the patch, if you experience a lot of pain when on it as well, so might be worth giving a shot.

As for myself, I use the pill, and that is it. I plan on coming off the pill in another month or two to prepare my body for TTC. When I do that, I will be tempting and charting my cycles to get an idea of if/when I ovulate and how long my cycles are. When I do this, I will use condoms during the times when I will likely be fertile.

The withdrawl method itself isn't the best protection, however if you're okay with possibly getting your BFP, then by all means, go for it!

Just a couple of thoughts...

- Have you tried the super thin, smooth condoms?
- In terms of the patch, if the depo shot worked in terms of no pain, the patch might as well. It's easy to remove the patch, if you experience a lot of pain when on it as well, so might be worth giving a shot.

As for myself, I use the pill, and that is it. I plan on coming off the pill in another month or two to prepare my body for TTC. When I do that, I will be tempting and charting my cycles to get an idea of if/when I ovulate and how long my cycles are. When I do this, I will use condoms during the times when I will likely be fertile.

The withdrawl method itself isn't the best protection, however if you're okay with possibly getting your BFP, then by all means, go for it!

I have used the super thin condoms, i think my problem is with dryness - however that might subside if i come off the bc. It might be something to think about i guess during the fertile times.

Is there a good place where i could chart my cycles thats easy to use? I find some of them so complicated!!

Although im not TTC if i got a BFP i wouldnt mind and financially we would cope fine.

I think i may give the patch a try but i would like to know more about charting!

We use withdrawel and it works fine for us. We haven't used anything else since we got married a couple of years ago and its been very effective.

Have you tried lube with condoms? Might make it a bit more comfortable!

We use withdrawel and it works fine for us. We haven't used anything else since we got married a couple of years ago and its been very effective.

Have you tried lube with condoms? Might make it a bit more comfortable!

Hi, Yes tried a few different lubes now with no luck!! It seems like (TMI coming up) hes getting stuck inside me? We've tried more foreplay etc but i cant get to grips with them!! I might try again once the bcp are out of my system and im having real cycles (no idea how i tell a real or withdrawel bleed apart btw!). Maybe the bcp made me very dry?

I would also suggest to try more lube! I do believe the BCP makes some people dry, however, you weren't on them for that long, were you? The depo shot might do the same, but I have no experience with it, so can't help in that department.

As for the withdrawl method, Mrs Cupcake, I'm glad it's been working for you! A lot of people do use it, I was just indicating what I have learned over the years. Precum has active, healthy sperm in it, so if the timing is right with your ovulation, then there is a chance of becoming pregnant, even if withdrawing. Regardless, it's much better than nothing, right?! I will likely use this method as well once I come off the pill - but that will also be in conjunction with charting.

Maybebaby87 - if you want more info about charting, I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a long book, but very informative. There are charts in there as well that you can use, or a lot of people here use Fertility Friend to learn and chart. If you google it, it will come up right away! I think TCOYF also has a website you can use, but I haven't really checked it out yet.

Thanks poppymom,

When i was on the depo it was for 4 years, then i had the implant for 6 months, then back to the depo for 2 years and it wasnt until i came of it i realised it had killed my sex drive completely (my bf didnt bother trying anymore) and made me very dry. Im not sure if the bcp done this as i was in pain everyday and thats enough to put you off sex!!

I think the patch is a good option, or i'll make do with condoms whilst i research a bit more on charting etc.

Also, im not disagreeing that pre ejac contains sperm - i believe it does - but there has been research (i read on a few forums but dont have a link - also heard it from my gyno) that it does not contain sperm. Apparently the only way you could get pregnant from it is if your partner has masturbated earlier the same day and not urinated which means there could be sperm living in the tube (i forget the name) Or having sex more than once and the same thing happening. Its very confusing because im sure a lot of people have gotten pregnant from this and to be fair, i'd rather be safe than sorry. I just wondered if anyone had heard this before and what are your thoughts?

Also, im not disagreeing that pre ejac contains sperm - i believe it does - but there has been research (i read on a few forums but dont have a link - also heard it from my gyno) that it does not contain sperm. Apparently the only way you could get pregnant from it is if your partner has masturbated earlier the same day and not urinated which means there could be sperm living in the tube (i forget the name) Or having sex more than once and the same thing happening. Its very confusing because im sure a lot of people have gotten pregnant from this and to be fair, i'd rather be safe than sorry. I just wondered if anyone had heard this before and what are your thoughts?

I think it's still an area where more research needs to be done. Some of the documents I have found only studied a handful of people. However, despite possibly having sperm in it, there are quite few compared to the actual ejaculate, making chances much less. What you are saying about the previous ejaculation makes sense, especially because sperm can live some time inside the right environment. I think that a lot of the time the withdrawl method isn't as reliable is because the male does not get out quickly enough. Either way, as long as someone is informed, it's their choice! No method, other than 100% abstinence is perfect, so go with what your comfortable with, right?!

I use the withdrawl method, and have done for years. But, I must say, i'd secretly be over the mood with another BFP, so I'm happy with that :)

Also, we are both Catholic, so withdrawl is the least sinful of the lot :haha:

If there was definitely no way of us having a bfp - I.e. if it would be disastrous for whatever reason, then I'd have to use condoms as i'm not medically allowed to have any type of hormones due to an imbalance.

I think there is a chance of getting pregnant with the withdrawl method, but OH and I used it for 3 years with no scares, then get bfp first month ttc, and are now using it again with no probs :thumbup:

I also think it has to do with how good OH is at self-control :winkwink:

DH and I are currently separated so we don't have to worry about it.

I've heard really good things about Nuva Ring. I would look into it. A lot of my friends who used it were able to conceive in their first or second cycle once not using Nuva Ring due to the way it controls your hormones.

Try Wet brand lube with the condoms—that stuff is the BEST!

I find condoms awful too. I've been with OH for 3 years or so now and I had the implant when we first got together, and after that the Depo Injection, so to be honest we never used condoms up until recently. I decided to stop the Depo beginning of March, due to the fact I was getting heap loads of side effects and I know it can take in some woman up to a year for fertility to return to normal so wanted to get things going if you get what I mean!

Now we're using condoms it's just awful :p. As I said, we never used them, so it was a first for us, and we had various difficulties. We've just tried the supor slim 'skin to skin' type ones, and they are defintely a huge improvement, but meh!

I also can't take the pill as it doesn't 'agree' with me either. I'd like to try the withdrawal method. I'd done some research on it (I'm aware it's not 100% effect, but no method is). I'd broached the subject with my OH and he just laughed at me! Not good hehe.

I'm hoping that over the course of our holiday in July we will be able to talk about the chances of NTNP.

Good luck everyone. :) x

I've had problems with condoms also (dryness) and it turns out I was allergic to latex.
Might be worth trying latex free condoms (of course they are more expensive).
I'm looking to start TTC sept time but I have 2.5 packs of pill left. So once they run out, I think we'll try the withdrawl method. My hubby doesn't like condoms at all.

Well, I am going on Depo today after stopping it not far off of a year ago. Woo, hate it cos of what it does to my skin, but at least it certainly works. :) I just hate the follow-up appointments in case I miss it somehow :O

Hi all!

Couldnt remember if i mentioned going on the patch....went on tuesday, came off early hour of this morning!! I have decided to give up on hormonal bc all together. I have been in agony most of the day. Hoping for them to come out my system soon! The pill came out more or less straight away, but the hormones in this are stronger so i could be in pain for days!! Excellent way to prevent pregnancy when youre too in pain to DTD!

Anywho, have invested in Mates skyn condoms (latex free and extra thin) and this will be our bc from now on! Wondering how reliable they are.....but i wouldnt mind if they failed even if we are WTT!!

I have the non hormonal copper coil. No problems at all. A little uncomfortable getting it put it but definitely worth it.

I have paraguard, or the copper IUD. I hate condoms too, the withdrawal method makes me feel rejected (long story), my daughter was conceived on the pill, and depo scares me. I was breastfeeding when I got my IUD so I didn't get mirena to avoid the hormones.

i'm currently using the NuvaRing and I love it. put it in for a few weeks and forget about it. However, some poeople says their partners feel it during sex, my husband doesn't realize it's there! I can't feel it at all. Also, if your partner does feel it during sex, you can take it out for up to three hours, during the practicing baby dance. As far as side effects I have none, Ive been on and off it for a year now, due to other medical issues... but id recommoned it. I pay $26.00 a month without any insurance coverage for it.

What pills were you on, the reason I ask is because some have both estrogen and progestin. All the birth control pills i've been on, only had progestin and i had horrible side effects. Just remember, your adding a new chemical balance to your system it could take 4 days - 3 months for your body to adjust and have some side effects go away. I was on the pill for a year, i was sooo crabby and bitchy it didn't get me anywhere.

Also, the patch and the ring have different levels of estrogen and progestin, i believe the ring is lower... :) try it out you might like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->