Birth of baby Roberts, 23/12/09.....could be a long one!

Boomerslady

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I thought i'd use my first restless night as a chance to update you all on my birth story (firstly I apologise if it's long, slightly hazy, and maybe not a good read for those yet to have thier LOs!)

I'm sure some of you know the first part of my story re: induction, but basically I went in on Sunday night and started on the gel. It took 4 attempts of gel and 2 days to get things really moving.

On Tuesday afternoon I was told I was 1.5cms (finally!) and my waters were ready to be broken, I just had to wait for a free bed on the labour ward. I was told if one wasn't free by early hours of Wed morning I'd have to wait until at least 7am.

I can't really remember timings but my contractions weren't regular but they were between 2-5 minutes apart lasting around 1 minute. So when they got strong it was quite bad!! I lasted for as long as possible using my TENs machine (which was a life saver, and stayed on throughout most of the labour!) I eventually gave in (as my sister said, if G&A is there, why try to be brave!) and started puffing away. What a nice drug it is!

At around 11.45 the senior MW from labour ward did her rounds and right outside my curtain decided to tell the MW that she'd rather not take me that night and wanted me to continue naturally....as I'm sure you can imagine I nearly lost the plot, I just wanted my LO safely in my arms. I had a slight freakout (and cried) to my lovely MW after and she went into overdrive trying to get me a bed.

At around half past midnight (early Wed morn) I had my bed!! I was examined and was still only 2cm (arghh!) but had my waters broke. The MW then left me for 2 hours to see if things progressed on thier own. Well after an hour or so, I was having around 4 contractions in ten minutes lasting at least 1min 30. It was quite amusing trying to find a comfy position....because there damn well wasn't one!!

Soo after 1hr 30mins (around 2am) I pushed the bell and asked for an epidural. I was informed that the anestharist (sp) had an emergency c section and 1 other lady to see and it could take a while. I was re-examined and was still only 2cms (arghh again!) so decided to have some pethadine as the G&A wasn't doing much anymore.

I have to say it made me quite dopey, and let me rest inbetween contractions. At around 6.30am the anestharist (sp) turned up, I was examined again and was only 3cms! I had a few concerns with the epi (but knew I ouldnt handle stuff without) my main worry was that it caused my sis to have 2 prolaped discs in her back (and our pregnancies were nearly identical) soooo anyway I cracked on and 30 mins later it was done (or so I thought!).

I turned out to be one of those lucky ones where the epi didn't work!! To say I was disheartened was an understatement. I was given 2 options.....try again, or wait to see a doctor. Now I decided on the latter as I knew the shifts were 7-7.30 and that the anestharist was tired after a long shift. In my headi was convinced she had screwed it up due to tiredness.

Sooo I waited a further 3 hours until the doctor (and about 10 others!) turned up to see me. By this point me and my OH were beside ourselves! We were both shattered and had just had enough. I was begging the doctor to give me a c section and make it all go away. Obviously they refused!! They got in the senior anesthatist who calmed me down (I was so tired by this point i was petrifed of falling asleep whilst they did it) so they decided to try again, but with me lying on my side). Whilst this was going on, my OH was arguing with the doctor in the corner, and he told me today that he nearly punched him!!!

I forgot to mention, by this point I was throwing up continually from the G&A and so couldn't use it anymore. Soooo I was rolled over and they started to try the 2nd epi......turned out i don't have much space between my discs and after a while a spinal was attempted. This didn't work either so back they went to the epi. 2 hours later (yes really!!) the epi was finally completed! During that time Id had no pain relief and honestly thought I was dying!! After 1hr 30 I was given pethadine (as I was dialting so slowly!) to try and help/calm me.

So at midday I was doped up to my eyeballs and couldn't feel my legs. My MW did an internal and guess what....I was 9cms, me and the OH couldn't believe it!! Firstly I was happy, but then annoyed they'd given me pethadine so close to actually giving birth!!

I was left alone for 1 hour to get to 10cms, then another hour before I started to push. So at roughly 2.30pm I started pushing. I was so out of it I started falling asleep between contractions!! After another hour a doctor was called as I wasn't progressing on my own. She explained that she'd use instruments, but if they didn't work she'd send me for a c section (she was soo adamant about that I convinced myself that would be the outcome!)

Well about 5 minutes later at 3.38pm baby Roberts (possibily Charlie!) was born using forceps, weighing 7lb 12. I was given an episitomy (sp) and got a 2nd degree tear. Oh and I now also have the piles from hell (I've posted in postnatal support about the pain!!) but it was all completely worth it.

He's a very content baby....he won't take yo my breast at all, so I'm now FF which is going well. He is very sicky, but I can handle that as he doesn't scream!

I can't post pics from my mobile, but there is one in 3rd tri.

Sorry this was soooo long! Thanks for reading, and good luck to those of you still to have your gorgeous LOs.

Congrats hun xxx!

Your experience sounds very like mine which I will also post soon.

Awwwwwwww :cloud9:

Your birth story wasn't that scary considering I'm soon to do it myself! In fact, the thing that made me :shock: was the comment about piles!!

Congratulations again, I love your FB profile picture! He's beautiful. Also, loving the name Charlie - very cute :thumbup: xxx

Your birth story wasn't that scary considering I'm soon to do it myself! In fact, the thing that made me :shock: was the comment about piles!!

Congratulations again, I love your FB profile picture! He's beautiful. Also, loving the name Charlie - very cute :thumbup: xxx

Thanks Hun :) i didn't wanna disclose the pile detail but it had to be done. I hate to admit the pain from them hurts more than the cut and tear :( I just wish the damn GP would be open so I can get some strong drugs!!

Thanks Hun :) i didn't wanna disclose the pile detail but it had to be done. I hate to admit the pain from them hurts more than the cut and tear :( I just wish the damn GP would be open so I can get some strong drugs!!

In a weird way I'm glad you say the piles hurt more than the other stuff. I've been through that pain before and now that I can cope with it (well, I can cope as long as I can moan LOTS! :haha: )

I hope you get some drugs soon!!!

I can't believe you have a baby.......I'm scared!!!!!!! Oh, you said you would tell me if you recommend pethadine??!! xx

Congratulations, so lovely to hear about your birth, have been following your pregnancy for what seems like ages :hugs:

Welcome to the world Baby, CONGRATULATIONS! XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->