birth plan help from anyone who's had a c section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by purple_socks, Apr 17, 2009.

1. purple_socks

purple_socks Guest

I've been thinking abt writing my birth plan soon and i wanna put stuff in regards to a c-section (although i'm not planning on one- just incase i end up with one)

having never had one b4 i have no idea what they're like so wondered if anyone how's had one has any advice for things i should put in my birth plan?

also whats better a spinal block or an epidural? i have no idea what the difference is! :p

2. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

Well i'm not entirely sure you can plan a section so to speak. I mean you really don't have any idea how your birth is going to be, a lot of people that do have c-sections which are not planned tend to happen in a rush because either the mum or babies health are in serious danger.

I only have experience with epidural and for me it was ok all though halfway through my c-section i had to have a general anaethestic because it didn't work so great.

The only advice i would give you is go with the flow and do what you feel is right at the time. :hugs:

3. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

I had a planned c-section and I had a spinal. The difference between epidural and spinal is that with spinal you get a single injection and with epidural you can have a top up throught the drip which is let inside.
    As I said, I had a spinal and it was great.

With c-section I would write in my notes that I would like my husband present, I want to see my baby straight away, I want my husband (or me to hold her/him) after he has been checked, I want to breastfeed straight after. Some women choose to have screens lowered so they can see a baby pulled out.
    That is all I can think of.:hug:

4. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

This is what I had in my last birth plan regarding a c-section (I was planning a homebirth)

I think this time (also planning a home birth VBAC) I will only ask for a spinal, not epidural. I will also ask for the screen to be lowered so I can see the baby being born and I will ask for immediate skin to skin with my OH - last time we tried skin to skin with me, but there were loads of wires in the way and she had been cleaned up.

Let me know if you want a copy of my whole birth plan as it covered what I wanted in the event of transfer etc.

5. purple_socks

purple_socks Guest

i'd love a copy of ur birth plan if u could message me one...thank you. i'm planning on a home birth but i'm quite aware that things might not go to plan and i dont wanna feel completely out of control if i have to b transfered or have to have a c-section and i dont wanna feel under pressure to make decisions mid labour that i hadn't thought abt or had the chance to research before hand.

6. littlemansmum

littlemansmum Mum Of 2 Beautiful Boys x

I am putting in that would like skin to skin asap, last time this was achieved by me slipping my arm out of the gown when i was on the table before the op started, asking for hubby to be there, breastfeed asap etc. Sounds silly but last time when the mw put my catheter in there was a male theatre nurse staring at the business end as she was fiddling about getting in and working am gonna ask to have a little more privacy this time, don't think he was being rude and probably see's it done everyday, but I felt uncomfy so from my point of view would like the privacy.
    I am also asking to be able to dress my baby myself or have my husband dress him if i am unable to xxx

7. Freyasmum

Freyasmum Mum of 2

I didn't have a birth plan, as such. My MW and I had discussed things, but I was pretty open to whatever would happen. I laboured for about 7 hours before it was deemed necessary for a c-section. I had had an epidural, but it had slipped and stopped working so they gave me a spinal block, which was great. Weird though - felt like I had no legs for some hours after.
    Next time I expect to have a planned c-section. There is an issue with the shape of my pelvic bone which means it may be impossible for me to give birth naturally. I will definitely ask for skin-to-skin contact, and to try breastfeeding as soon as possible. With Freya, she was given to my (terrified!) hubby right away, and he was left alone with her while I spent some time in recovery. I would ask to not be separated from them again.

8. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

I didn't have a section last time, but I had a spinal block first and after an hour it stopped working. Then they gave me an epidural, which also stopped working after an hour, even with additional meds put into it. I'm having a planned section this time cause I have to have surgery straight after so I'm hoping they just knock me out! Call me crazy, but I don't wanna feel getting cut open! :D

9. The thing that upset me the most about my c section is not seeing my baby as soon as she was born. She was cleaned and wrapped up first. This upset me for ages... still does really.

I had a spinal block as my epidurals didnt work. It didnt wear off for over 4 hours which was difficult. It freaked me out.

10. soon2b6

soon2b6 Mum to 6

I found the fact that I didnt see baby being born the most upsetting thing, I may or may not have a section this time but will write a plan for the first time in 6 pg's just in case it ends up in a section. I will include:

lowering screens to see baby born
    my choice of music
    quite at moment of birth and if poss lights dimmed, my voice is first to be heard
    discover gender myself
    Im to hold him/her immediately (medical problems permitting of course)
    bf asap
    spinal (worked better for me than epi)

There may be other things and I expect I wont get it all but if you dont ask you wont get, the most important thing for me is to be able to see the birth really.

11. tasha41

tasha41 Mum & Dad + 1

I had an epidural, had no problems with it, worked like a charm for the c-section. IF I ever decide to have another baby, I will have to have a c-section as well, so things I want to include on any future birth plans include:

- my boyfriend in the room with me
    - I'd like him to hold her first; I got really shaky and it didn't wear off for a couple hours..
    - skin-to-skin contact with baby ASAP
    - ICE cubes/water in the recovery room!! My mouth was SOOO dry after!!

It was upsetting to me that they took Elyse as soon as she was born to do her Apgars and have the pediatrician look her over etc. and it took a few minutes for her to be brought back to me.. not sure what they can do about this to speed it up.. maybe showing me the baby before taking her away would have been better?

I will NOT let them touch my staples!! They removed mine less than 72 hours after surgery, and my incision opened within a week.. next time (if there is a next time) I will not let them take them out and I'll see my GP after a week to have them removed instead.

12. purple_socks

purple_socks Guest

that doesn't sound nice! poor u :hug: