Birth Plans - Homebirths/natural/water

Thanks ladies, I've actually been using these to start to form a few ideas for my own birth plans.

Thanku, i have now been able to start my birth plan due to all of yours been so good. I didnt know where to start! Thanks very much x

Fab ladies! Thanks for sharing. It's still early days for me but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Here are my birth plans, which I just amended again yesterday (did one for hospital too, just in case, as I wrote these around the time there was a lot of snow)- I knicked a lot of it from somewhere on the web... the MW came by yesterday to do my HB assessment and was happy with the plans :)

HOME BIRTH
CATHY BIRTH PREFERENCES – HOME BIRTH
EDD: 07 Feb 2011

ABOUT US
• My name is Cathy and my husband’s name is Mark. My doula will also be present during the labour and birth. Her name is xxxx.
• This is our first baby.
• We hope for a natural water homebirth without intervention.

FIRST STAGE – Thinning & Opening
Induction and active management of Labour
• If I go beyond 40 weeks I would like to have membrane sweeps. If I go beyond 42 weeks, I would like to have the baby and placenta assessed daily for healthiness and then make an informed decision based on the results.
• If my waters break before labour I will adopt a wait and see approach.
• I want to use natural methods in event of stalled or slow labour.

Pain Relief
• Our preference is for water births so do not want Entonox, pethidine or diamorphine.
• I would like to use T.E.N.S, breathing, massage & relaxation techniques.
• Please do not offer medicated pain relief unless I specifically ask for it.

Monitoring & Examinations
• I would like to have minimal vaginal examinations if at all possible.
• I want baby to be monitored using a Doppler and to avoid internal monitoring.

Positions for Labour
• To use the birthing pool, birthing ball and various active birthing positions.
Eating & Drinking
• Please remind me to eat and drink and use the bathroom.

SECOND STAGE – Birthing
• I would like to use mother-directed breathing down until crowning takes place, not forced pushing.
• I would like to give birth in the birthing pool.

Perineum
• I have been practicing perineum massage so want to avoid an episiotomy unless it is an emergency.
• I would prefer any 1st degree tear to be left to heal naturally. Please suture any 2nd degree+ tears.

Birthing Baby
• We would like Mark or I to pick up our baby immediately.
• We would like immediate skin- to- skin contact and time to bond with the baby.

THIRD STAGE - Placenta Delivery
• I am keeping my placenta- please read the attached sheet on Appropriate Placental Care
• I want a physiological third stage and would like to try breast feeding to assist natural delivery.
• We would rather the mid-wife clamp the cord when pulsation has stopped. Please allow Mark to cut the cord.
• Please no cord traction/fundal pressure, syntocinon or manual removal unless there is an emergency.
• I am Rhesus-negative; please remember to take the appropriate blood samples and to administer Anti-D.

CARE OF OUR BABY
• I am going to breastfeed my baby so need undisturbed skin to skin contact after the birth.
• I consent to IM Vitamin K to be administered to the baby. I would prefer this to be given when the baby is breastfeeding to try to minimise pain to the baby.

CATHY BIRTH PREFERENCES – HOSPITAL BIRTH
EDD: 07 Feb 2011

ABOUT US
• My name is Cathy and my husband’s name is Mark. My doula will also be present during the labour and birth. Her name is xxxx.
• We hope for a natural birth without intervention.

Environment
• I would like subdued lighting, to be mobile, use birthing pool (if available), birth ball and listen to music.
• We would like each person attending me to read my birth preferences and introduce themselves.

FIRST STAGE – Thinning & Opening
• I will stay at home as long as possible before going into hospital.

Induction and active management of Labour
• If I go beyond 40 weeks I would like to have membrane sweeps. If I go beyond 42 weeks, I would like to have the baby and placenta assessed daily for healthiness and then make an informed decision based on the results.
• If my waters break before labour I will adopt a wait and see approach.
• I want to use natural methods in event of stalled or slow labour and would like privacy to do so.

Pain Relief
• Our preference is for water births so do not want Entonox, pethidine or diamorphine.
• I would like to use T.E.N.S, breathing, massage & relaxation techniques.
• Please do not offer medicated pain relief unless I specifically ask for it.
Monitoring & Examinations
• I would like to have minimal vaginal examinations if at all possible.
• I want baby to be monitored using a Doppler and to avoid continuous (CTG) or internal monitoring.

Positions for Labour
• To use the birthing pool (bath / shower if not available), birthing ball and various active birthing positions.

Eating & Drinking
• We will take snacks and water for both Mark and I. Please remind me to drink and use the bathroom.

SECOND STAGE - Birthing
• I would like to use mother-directed breathing down until crowning takes place, not forced pushing.
• I would like to give birth in a water pool - if not available access to a bath and shower please.

Perineum
• I have been practicing perineum massage so want to avoid an episiotomy unless it is an emergency.
• I would prefer any 1st degree tear to be left to heal naturally. Please suture any 2nd degree+ tears by my female midwife or female doctor and not a student.

Birthing Baby
• We would like Mark or I to pick up our baby immediately.
• We would like skin to skin contact and time to bond with the baby.
• If I require an assisted delivery, please use a ventouse in favour of forceps.
• In case of emergency / assisted breathing please bring the trolley to the baby and leave cord on.
• Mark will stay with our baby if there is any emergency.

THIRD STAGE - Placenta Delivery
• I am keeping my placenta- please read the attached sheet on Appropriate Placental Care.
• I want a physiological third stage and would like to try breast feeding to assist natural delivery.
• We would rather the mid-wife clamp the cord when pulsation has stopped. Please allow Mark to cut the cord.
• Please no cord traction/fundal pressure, syntocinon or manual removal unless there is an emergency.
• I am Rhesus-negative; please remember to take the appropriate blood samples and to administer Anti-D.

CARE OF OUR BABY
• I am going to breastfeed my baby so need undisturbed skin to skin contact after the birth. I have antenatally expressed colostrum. I will bring my supply to the hospital- please provide this to me upon delivery.
• I consent to IM Vitamin K to be administered to the baby. I would prefer this to be given when the baby is breastfeeding to try to minimise pain to the baby.

IN THE EVENT OF A CAESAREAN
• I am keen to avoid a caesarean & will only agree to one for a genuine medical emergency.
• Please do not perform a hysterectomy unless it is the only option available to save my life.
• If emergency caesarean required I would like to remain awake & request an epidural or spinal block.
• I would like to breastfeed the baby as soon after birth as possible.
• I would like to hold my baby straight away.
• I do not want baby taken out of theatre unless it is an emergency.
• I would like support with breastfeeding as I will find it difficult to move after the operation.
• If my baby needs to go to special care then my husband, Mark, will go with him/her.
• I wish to be kept informed of baby’s well being and start expressing if baby goes into special care. Please do not give the baby formula, only my expressed breast milk.

OUR CONSIDERATIONS
• We would like to follow our birth preference to support a quiet, relaxed and natural birth.
• We appreciate that we must be flexible in our choices if things do not evolve in the way we wish.
• We request that all options are examined and that we are given accurate information.
• We gratefully respect that we are given sufficient time to discuss the proposed course of action.
• In the event of any emergency situation, then you will have our full co-operation.
• The safety of our baby and mum is paramount and we do not wish to put either in any danger.

That's lovely, pretty much what mine will be!

I may also put something in mine about the mw leaving me to clean the baby up and letting us have a go at bf before they take him awy to be weighed etc xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->