Birth Plans??

Ive heard that epidurals make you numb from the waste to the knee...is this true?! That would be my main reason for not having one!

Having an epidural increases the frequency of emergency c-sections, forceps/vacuum deliveries and bigger episiotomies. I think those are because it's harder to feel when and how to push. One of my pregnancy books gets into the statistics, but I don't recall them here at work.

Also, with an epidural you can't get up and walk around or change positions as easily, or go in the pool. If that weren't enough, with an epidural, they put a bladder catheter in so that you don't pee all over the bed. I've had that in surgery before and the thought icks me out.

My book also mentioned potential groggyness on the part of the baby and the mum as well not being able to get up and around as quickly (your legs are numb, after all).

Needless to say, I'd rather go without.

Lorien, that's really very helpful, thank you :)

I've really only had it in surgical procedures, so it's different to hear about it in terms of labour.

I think I just need to be sure at what stage it becomes too late to have an epidural.

If my previous medical history doesn't affect the 3rd Tri, I'd be planning to carry on as normal, I'm just a little nervous it might be more painful.

Thanks again for your help :)

The only reason I'd pick an epidural over pethadine is because the 3 people who I know who have had pethadine could hardly remember the birth they were so out of it! My sister had to be stopped from going to sleep! And when her little one was born she was just the same and was drowsy for about 3 days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->