Birth Plans

mrs_sasquatch

Reaction score
Good evening!! Just curious, has anyone filled out a paper copy of a birth plan? My chosen hospital asks several of the questions upon admittance, but I've covered all my bases and done a paper form as well. Even though I know it's an "under ideal circumstances" thing, it's nice to have a plan in place.

My hubby and I will have a birth plan in mind, but I am not bringing a paper copy to the hospital. In my opinion, it's not realistic to expect every nurse/doctor who comes into the room to read and memorize my specific plan, especially when they are looking after multiple women. If they want to do something that is not in my plan, then hubby and I will just say no thanks and stick to our plan (so long as me and baby are safe, obviously!).

I don't really expect it read, but I wanted it as a reference for DH. He's working about 80 hours a week right now, and when we actually do talk labor and delivery, he's pretty lost, so it will give him a reference point.

My birthing center had a birth plan for me to fill out upon registration. Ideally I would prefer little to no intervention, but I'm willing to do as needed to make sure my baby is safe.

My plan in similar. No drugs or intervention unless absolutely necessary. I want to do it on my own.

This is why I love my practice and my hospital that I'm delivering at! I wasn't even going to do a birthplan after 2 previous labors in two different hospitals, I've learned most birthplans tend to go out the window anyways but my practice gives you a very naturally minded checklist type birthplan of what you'd like and what you'd like to avoid and then they sign off on it and the nursing staff has to follow it! Although most of what I'm requesting, this hospital does as standard which is awesome! Mine basically just says immediate skin to skin with all tests (minus weight) done on my chest, delayed clamping, vernix to remain on skin until first bath which is delayed for 24 hours, no hep b, no eye ointment, no IV fluids for me, and only intermittent monitoring if necessary...I'm sure there's a couple things I'm forgetting but I love my hospital and midwife practice.

Yeah I'll print one out and stick it in the blue book, don't really expect it to be read but it'll be there for reference!

My only thing is. Make yourself blatantly clear to your midwife. We had midwife who didn't listen to us never mind the consultant. And the birth ended out in allot of interventions that could of been avoided if she'd of listened to us in the first place and done as she was told by the consultant. Ask allot of questions, question everything. And if you feel one bit unsure or uncomfortable question it we assume they know what they are doing, but every birth is different. And if your not happy question it immediately.

My only thing is. Make yourself blatantly clear to your midwife. We had midwife who didn't listen to us never mind the consultant. And the birth ended out in allot of interventions that could of been avoided if she'd of listened to us in the first place and done as she was told by the consultant. Ask allot of questions, question everything. And if you feel one bit unsure or uncomfortable question it we assume they know what they are doing, but every birth is different. And if your not happy question it immediately.

This!! Kind of like putting your foot down right away. I think that is very important. IMO it is very disrespectful when medical practitioners just dismiss what the mom wishes. And I know that some things can happen, but some medical professionals dismiss these wishes (especially when it comes to going very natural i.e. immediate skin to skin etc.) when there was no (medical) reason to not follow mom's wishes.

I also think it is very important to discuss these things with your OH/birthing partner ahead of time so he/she can advocate for you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->