Birth story of Thomas James & Emily Rose - not for the feint hearted!!

jessyjones

Mummy to Boy / Girl Twins
Reaction score
hey everyone!

well... im finally back... after 8 weeks of absolute mayhem of the twins being born im very happy to say that my little ones arrived into the world safe and sound.
there are a few scary parts to the story - so would advise if your scared of labour complications you might not want to read on... but if you do just take note that im still here, so are they... and everyone is doing great :)

ok.. here we go.

i hit 37 weeks of pregnancy when i went for my final scan to check on the weight of the twins and that everything was ok... which it was.. except for me lol... i was a state... i was huge... i couldn't walk... i couldn't eat... i cried pretty much constantly because i was just so exhausted. Anyway the Dr took one look at me and said he was going to try the stretch and sweep to get me going... thomas had been head down ( very low may i add) since 33 weeks so the pressure was horrible but the s&s wasn't painful... intact after the horrible pregnancy i had endured i dont think anything would of bothered me at that point... anyway... he did it... i went home...

6pm that evening i started getting very mild twinges, and thought nothing of it... i went to bed and was awake most of the evening with the twinges... but they were very irregular so never bothered with the hospital. at 6am they got a t ad more regular so i contacted the L&D ward and got asked to go in... they told me i was in labour... but very lightly so they would monitor me. about an hour later in walked about 4 drs ( you seem to have loads of people when your having miltiples) who very excitedly told me ' right... were here to break your waters!!

holy s**t!!! things just got very real... i went white and looked at my husband who just grabbed hold of my hand and told me i was going to do great!

so they burst the waters at 11am... never enjoyed that part to be honest... having someones hand rammed up there is never going to be pleasant - however after the second attempt of me crushing the nurses hand they gave me gas and air - my new best friend-
your waters breaking is the strangest feeling! its like you are constantly wee'ing yourself everytime you move... we found thomas had meuconium in his water so they kept an eye on that... attached some little electrodes to his head and told me they wanted to put a very very low dose epidural in me incase things went wrong and they had to get them out quick. so i agreed and they did it... i could feel EVERYTHING still which i was happy about because i wanted to be as natural as possible... except my left leg was completely dead lol,... i found it hillarious!

anyway... i was only at 1.5cm dilation by 12pm.. which carried on till 6pm at which point i was still 1.5cm!!! at 6.30.... they came and checked as my mum ( mum and hubby were both birthing partners) noticed i was getting irritable and feeling the need to push... so they came running in only to find i had gone from 1.5 to full dilation in half an hour! so i started pushing... as hard as i possibly could for an hour and absolutley nothing. he was stuck in my pelvis and wasnt moving... the more i pushed i felt excrutiating pain in my ribs... i cant explain it.. just sheer agony like something pushing but burning against your ribcage... i later found out it was emily turning around!!!

at 8pm they decided to take me into theatre as they still wernt born ... theatre terrified me... i never had a sheet up or anything as they wanted to keep talking to me as i wasnt having a section... they still wanted me to push etc... so we did it with forceps, a hell of alot of pushing, and an episiotomy.

Thomas was born at 9.37pm on 15th september 2011 weighing 6.12lbs :) yelling his little head off

emily was born at 9.55pm weighing 6.6lbs after yet more pushing etc she decided to come out bum first and holding on to her feet! no wonder she bloody hurt!!! she wasnt breathing at birth but after 5 pumps and what seemed like an eternity of me yelling 'why isnt she crying' i heard her wimper and it was the most fabulous sound ive ever heard. both my babies were here and they were ok.

now the bad stuff starts

when i came out of theatre... i basically wasnt well... i was being sick constantly, couldnt hold the babies for shaking and puking... and i had this almighty headache... without a doubt the worst pain ive ever felt in my life - those of you who have suffered migranes imagine one of them times 10...
i was gri[pping my head and rolling around screaming and the midwife basically didnt listen! it was now 12pm and i was screaming in pain, crying, still vomiting badly and my husband had hold of thomas - who ( now i cant remember anything that happened next so this is all what my parents / husband have told me ) i said to thomas ' im sorry but i cant do this anymore... i love you - and i closed my eyes.
mu mum ran out to grab someone and when she came back i was blue... i wasnt breathing, and my blood pressure had gone into what the midwife told me was 'clinically dead' territory...i then started to fit. everyone was taken out of the room and Drs. / resuscitation team ran in.
i was classed as technically dead for something like 35 seconds - but they managed to bring me back.... i had an eclamptic fit - after no signs other than the headache... which im still annoyed about them not listening to me about!
i missed the first 4 days of my twins life as i was kept in intensive care and unconscious. scans showed my brain function wasn't damaged etc but i had 3 blood transfusions... and eventually i came back :)
it wasn't easy... i had 2 little people who i hadnt seen for 4 days... its so strange loosing 4 days of your life with no memory... but through photographs everyone has showed me the babies still got to see me... photos of them laid on my chest thanks to the wonderful people in icu who let them in.... and the neonatal guys at boston pilgrim for looking after them whilst i wasnt able. i cant thank-you enough...

anyway... i have to keep an eye on my blood pressure, my iron levels etc but apart from that im now back to my old self... my poor husband & mum have nightmares about what happened.. it must be so hard for them... i cant remember anything after saying my head hurt...

all i will say is you will know if something isnt right... make sure someone listens to you..

i feel like someone was watching over me that day as drs / resus etc were all outside my door at the front desk when all this happened... im obviously lucky enough to have a guardian angel up there somewhere.. :) - the twins are fantastic and developing above level so i honestly wouldn't change a thing that happened. im a very very lucky girl and they were worth every second of the pain.

heres some photos of my beautiful little babies :)

https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/007.jpg

https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/0108.jpg

https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/0115.jpg

https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/IMG_6985.jpg
https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/IMG_6933.jpg
https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/IMG_6918.jpg
https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/IMG_6886.jpg
https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/IMG_6880.jpg
https://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/jessclewlow/303035_302384459790930_100000581340467_1183828_950806096_n.jpg

Congratulations!! Your OH and mum must have been so scared but im glad it turned out well in the end. Your twins are gorgeous!! (I also gave birth at pilgrim:flower:)

Oh my God what an experience - so glad it all worked out for you guys in the end, must have been so so scary for your husband and your mum.
The twins are absolutely gorgeous, congratulations!

Wowzers :) Massive congrats x2!

Wow, must have been scary,.. well done you for fighting strong <3

Your twins are BEYOND beautiful <3 <3 you must be so proud xx

Your story brought tears to my eyes... so glad everything turned out okay and you're safe and sound with your gorgeous twins :) x

congratulations
Your little ones are gorgoeous - glas to hear you are well after your tramautic time

L x

Congrats on your babies. They are so adorable! :hugs: I can’t believe they brushed off your sickness after birth. The second I read about the headache I knew what that most likely meant. I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I’m glad to hear you are doing well now with your lovely babies.

Gosh I cried my eyes out reading that. You poor thing. I can't imagine what it must have been like for your family. But thank goodness all is well now. And you have the most beautiful wee babies - there's something so precious about twins! Wishing you all the best :flowers:

lol thanks for all your comments guys - the way i keep looking at it is that things could of turned out a whole lot worse... so im just very thankful that im here and so are my bambinos :)

Glad your ok, your twins are really gorgeously cute!

Wow congrats. Your story was very scary and I am soo thankful you are okay and the twins are healthy.

glad everything turned out okay, and congratulations x x

Congratulations. Your babies are beautiful.

My goodness how scary, thank the Lord you came through all that, you really must have a guradian angel watching out for you. Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

Such Gorgeous Babies!!!!!! and what a story , glad it all is ok in the end

:hugs:

xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583