Birth weights.

SmartieMeUp

Mum of 2 girls.
Reaction score
This is the only scare I'm having about coming to full term and labour.

Do the parents weight have any connection with your child's weight?
I was 5lb 6oz (2 days late), where as my OH was 8st 10oz (1 week early).

With me only being small (5ft), I have visions of me struggling to give birth naturally and tearing badly.

I was 7 pounds 6 ounces and on my due date, and daughters dad was 8 something and pretty much on time and my daughter was 8 pounds 1 ounce and 4 days late.

I was 6 lbs 1 oz at birth. My first baby was 8 lbs 4oz and my second was 9 lbs 3 oz. I am 5'2". My husband was a first baby and he weighed 8 lbs 10 oz at birth. I did tear very badly with my first. I could hardly even walk for a week. I probably would have been better off just getting an episiotomy to have more of a controlled tear.

I was 7lb 8oz when born. Not sure about hubby. DD was 7lb 12oz and only 18.5 inches long. I am 5'6" and I ended up with a 3rd degree episiotomy with a ton of internal and external stitches. I could hardly walk the first few weeks. It was pretty bad but now doing it again I dont even care. It was so worth it the first time.

But im not sure your height is going to play a huge role in weather you tear or not. I think its just how baby comes out and if you stretch enough down there which I did not. My step mom is 5'0" and she gave birth to a 7lb 10oz baby and didnt tear at all.

I could be wrong on this, but I've always assumed it's quite normal to tear...? I did, I had a 6lb'er, one week late! I wouldn't worry about it hun, there's no way of predicting what will happen. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Forgot to add, I was 6lb something and DH was 7lb something....

I was born 7lb 13oz, DH was born 9lb 3oz. The following were the weights of our children:

8lb 3oz
9lb 11oz
10lb 6oz

They were all born at 39 weeks.

I was 5lbs 10oz 1 week early, hubby was just under 8lbs and on time. DD was 5lbs 13oz (3 weeks early)

Often there is some degree of tearing, but it is not usually severe. I was terrified of having a giant baby with my last - I was 8lbs, 8oz. and OH was 12lbs, 1oz!! :shock:
I was measuring small throughout, but LO was quite large for his gestation. He was 6lbs, 11oz born at 35+6.
I barely tore at all - only a few small tears so I am really hoping for this again!!

The size of the baby doesn't always mean everything - my friend had a 9.5lb baby easily without a single tear, and there was a lady at the hospital who had a baby under 6lbs with a 4th degree tear. Also interventions (forceps, ventuouse, etc) are more likely to result in tearing.

Tearing has more to do with pushing than with the size of the baby. If you push full force for a long time, especially during crowning, you're more likely to tear. If you take it in strides and pant through the crowning (shallow breathing), it's much more controlled and you're less likely to tear. My son was 9lbs 3ozs and I'm not a big person. I did get 1-2 stitches but it was very minor. :) I have friends who got 20+ stitches with 6 and 7lb babies. Birth weights vary a lot and so does the way you handle the delivery. :) It's not so bad!

I agree with Lucy_Lu10 about the tearing thing..this is our first child but doctor has told me most tearing happens when pushing full force when you shouldnt or doctor not helping stretch you out. If your baby is too big for you your doctor will tell you and do something about it even if its a csection.

My sister is 5"8 130lbs and she had to have two csections because her babies were to big for her to get out and they were only 7lbs.

I was 7 lbs, born naturally my husband was 10 lbs born by csection. So far our baby weighs and measures large, Iam 5'9 and not pregnant im 160lbs and doctor has told me since I want a natural birth that we will do our best but hes not going to let me push out a 10 lb baby cause of the harm it could cause me and the baby! And im a tall, wide hiped gal ;)

I think anything under 8lbs is fine for me! Wouldnt want a 10lber but you get what youre given. My daughter was 6lb4 which was a lovely weight IMO. I didn't tear at all but a lot of women do. Like someone else said, its to do with the pushing stage.

lol DH was 6lb 8oz at 2wks overdue and i was 7lb 8oz right on my due date, our first son was 9lb 10oz and second son was 10lb 12oz,

doctors get their heads in a twist about these things its nearly impossible for you to grow a healthy baby as a healthy mother that is too big for you to birth.
obviously some genetics can come into it if your OH is big boned and your slim and tiny and have no hips then yes there can be cases of baby being to large for the pelvis but its extremely rare. im only 5ft 8 and the birth i had trouble with was the smaller baby, im expecting this one to be another 10lber caus they dont tend to get smaller once you go over the 4.5kg mark lol but im not worried i have wideset hips and EJ gave me no trouble at all

my OH was 10lb at 2 weeks late and i was 6lb 4oz at 6 weeks early. our first LO was 11lb 14oz on her due date! am already measuring big so probs be 12lb this time!!! lol

I was a big baby 9lb something? Dunno about my bf :wacko:

But my first baby was 6lb 4oz and was born at 39 weeks.. When she was delivered I had an episiotomy (cut instead of tearing) They will act quickly if they think your going to tear badly and trust me one cut is better than tearing so just try not to worry :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->