Birthing ball?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by lhamil88, Aug 24, 2009.

1. lhamil88

lhamil88 jack's mummy

quick question...what size are you suppose to have a birthing ball i've seen 2 in argos one 65cm and one 75cm but theses are both gym balls is it better to get a 'proper' birth ball?....any ideas?

cheers ladys xx:thumbup:

2. firegal

firegal Well-Known Member

Totally depends on your height hun. I'm about 5ft9 so I've got a 175cm ball. How tall are you?

Gym balls are fine to use as long as they're anti-burst balls. Some of the cheaper ones aren't, so you need to check :)

3. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

I've got the 65cm ball as I'm a short-arse (5ft 1) - like FG says it's based on your height, its got something to do with when you sit on it your pelvis is meant to be at a certain angle and the height of the ball affects it.

I got my ball from www.birthease.co.uk and I love it. It seems stronger than the exercise balls you get, its anti-burst and anti-slip and came with a free pump.. and it also arrived the day after I ordered it. I think it was about £15, and well worth the money in my opinion.

4. redpoppy

redpoppy Well-Known Member

If you're over 5'8 its a 75cm one. A 65cm one for under that height. You'd have to be under 5' I believe to get one smaller than that. It HAS to be anti burst so if it does end up getting punctured it deflates slowly not suddenly (which would have slapstick value but would actually be VERY dangerous if you're pregnant!) and when you sit on it, your hips should be about 8 - 10cm above your knees.

I got mine from birthease too and its really helped my lower back pain. Although I finally figured out it was my mattress causing it so now we have a new one arriving that i'm pretty sure we spent too much money on. :blush:

5. stargazer

stargazer Mummy & pregnant

Im looking at getting one too. Was just going to get a excercise ball but I think i might order one of that site now since it comes reccommended. Thanks x

6. amylw1

amylw1 my 3 boys in avatar. x

i'm just bouncing round the house on the eldest sons "space hopper" (its of adult size)!

7. craftymum

craftymum Mum to Jacob and Jenna

lol! I have a reebok one I got from argos not sure if it's 65 or 75cms though

8. lhamil88

lhamil88 jack's mummy

hehe...i went and got one this mornin from argos as it was a 75cm and cheaper than the other sites...and it's great i'm bouncing as we talk lol....cheers for the help guys!!!

9. bana

bana Mummy to Tristan

i got the cheap argos one for less than a fiver and i think it was 65, no point in paying more for a birthing ball cuz there exactly the same as the gym ball, apart from if it pops u go flat on yr ass as opposed to slowly deflating but it shouldnt pop anyway they hold alot of weight! x

10. dom

dom Mum, Dad, Kenzie & Ella x

I bought one of these yesterday, a yoga ball. 65cm. When are you supposed to start sitting on them to get your bubba into the correct position for birth? My ds was back-to-back so wanted to try and get this one the right way around.

Hope this one will be OKay with it not being anti-burst?? Was trying to look for a max weight, but it doesnt say it on it. I was 10.5stone pre-preg, not sure what I am now, not weighed myself.

thanks xx

11. bana

bana Mummy to Tristan

oh my god dont worry about it im 15 stone and my ball is still holding out! ull be fine i cant remember the max weight but i think its more than 16 stone (i hope) lol!

12. lhamil88

lhamil88 jack's mummy

the max for mine is 18st... so it's all good...for now:blush: lol

13. dom

dom Mum, Dad, Kenzie & Ella x

Phew <lmao> had images of me crashing to my backside and my waters bursting all over the place!! :D x

14. rubyrose

rubyrose Guest

I got a 65cm one im 5'5 they are good, think it helped my lo engage x

15. charlottesma

charlottesma Mum to 2!

mine says tested up to 300KG so I don;t think I need to worry!

16. Rebaby

Rebaby Mama to 2 boys

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation gersprincess :thumbup:

I'm in the market for a birthing ball and there are soooo many types to chose from i've been totally bamboozled :dohh: but just had a look at that site and i'm impressed, think i might have to order one and get bouncing :happydance:

17. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

Since I started boinging about on my ball I've been desperate to get myself a spacehopper to properly bounce about the house on :blush: but I think that may perhaps be a little irresponsible so I'm holding off till after the birth and healing and then I might get a proper space-hop! I remember having so much fun on those things as a kid!!!

PS, I don't think gentle bouncing on a spacehopper is irresponsible, but the fact I actually want to boing across the room on it lol!!!