birthing partner or not????

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by kazb25, Jan 26, 2011.

1. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

Has anyone decided if they would like a birthing partner? I have been asked by three different people if they can be my birthing partner and i do like the idea of having someone there (female who has done it before) with me but its hard to choose between them,

Anyone else been asked and are you haing one and who ???

2. Kellyx

Kellyx Well-Known Member

I'm just having my OH there :)

3. katratrina

katratrina Mum of 3, and Pregnant!

I have only ever had my partner there, so don't really no what its like to have other people there. My mum did want to be there but my partner wasn't comfortable with it so i just said she could be the first to visit, she was there 10 minutes after i gave birth, lol!

4. CeeCee2010

CeeCee2010 Mummy to Jessica xxx

I originally wanted my DH and my mam there but DH has said he would like it to be just us and I respect his wishes :) It's up to you who you have with you hun, don't let anybody force you into choosing :)

5. Kellyx

Kellyx Well-Known Member

My mum wants to be there but i'm not comfortable with the thought of her looking at me pushing a baby out

6. SamiraNChris

SamiraNChris Hayden & expecting #2 :D

im just having my OH and my mum! i did think about having my sister there too but ive changed my mind now! dont want to feel like im being watched at every angle!!!! xx

7. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

yeah i have been thinking about it today and i am debating whether or not it should just be a special moment between me and OH but to be honest i am worried that if he is working on the day i go into labour if he will be able to make it to the birth so having a birthing partner means i wont have to go it alone and i really dont want to have to do it alone it kind of makes me feel sad thinking that i couldnt share the moment wiv anyone at all, i feel its worth sharing

8. Barbles

Barbles Mum to 1 & cooking 1 more

I just had my OH there, I think my mum was a little hurt that I didnt have her too which to this day I worry about but OH wanted it to be just us. I did at one point beg for my mum to come and OH was going to call her but I changed my mind. This time will just be OH too as my mum will have Phoebe lol. It was nice to have the special moment between just me & OH.

9. dottymouse

dottymouse Well-Known Member

with my daughter i only had my mum there with me as i was single, and i didnt even know she was there, the labor and birth went so quick she didnt have to do anything, but was nice to have the support after, this time, both me and hubby have said as its his 1st that its a special moment just for us, and he will be there no matter what. just hope it doesnt all happen as quick as last time, or i wont even make it to the hospital to give birth.

10. midori1999

midori1999 Well-Known Member

I am doubting my husband will get back in time for the birth as I have quite quick labours and he'll be a plane/ferry ride away in another country when I am due.

My Mum is staying with me from 37 weeks (had my last two at 37 and 38 weeks) and I had intended her to look after my children but she would like to be my birthing partner is my husband isn't there. She has said she will wait outside the room if I'd prefer that and only come in if I need/want her to (she's not at all over bearing, I am!) so I think I'll let her, but equally I am happy to give birth alone. I think it would be lovely just me and baby alone for a while at first. :cloud9:

I had a friend with my third son as my husband was abroad. She was great, but very practical and hilarious, so we had a good giggle the whole time, which is what I needed. I have had a friend ask to be there this time, but I think she'd make too much of a fuss and annoy me. I think if you have a friend you need to choose carefully.

11. LittlePeople

LittlePeople Pregnant :)

It will hopefully be just my OH and I...but my mum has already said that she'll be there in the waiting area to be the first visitor :haha: :flower:

12. lov3hat3

lov3hat3 Mummy to lil J, Preggo #2

my mum doesnt want to be there :haha: so i think im going to have my sister and best friend there:)

13. CeeCee2010

CeeCee2010 Mummy to Jessica xxx

My mam and dad live 90 mins away and DH's parents live 4 hours away... we're calling to let them know when baby is born (I may just have to text my mam just before Boo enters the world so that I can make sure my parents are first visitors tee hee) I am ashamed for my evilness X

14. Rosalie

Rosalie Well-Known Member

15. Clopatjo

Clopatjo Well-Known Member

Teehee...I would like someone to give birth for me lol! x On a serious note...my mammy is being my birthing partner, she's had 5 of us, so no better woman to coach me! xx

16. scuffer

scuffer Mum to 3 lovely boys!

Last time I had my partner and best friend and they were an amazing team.

I would advise you to think about what you're likely to need during the birth, my partner obviously wanted to be there and he was great, really loving and supportive. My friend was brilliant, when I was in labour I couldn't understand a thing the midwife said to me (there was no reason for this at all, it was very strange) but my friend translated for me and told me that "yes I could bloody push" when I'd had enough. I needed someone to be tough with me and my partner is a darling and never would have managed.

I'd love to have them both again but we've moved further away and I'm not sure my friend will make it, I just continue to hope she will as I can't imagine doing it without them both now!

17. CandyApple19

CandyApple19 Pregnant with #3, PAL.

i had my mother and my partner there for me last time... my partner came into theatre though when i had to have an EMCS, my mum was clearly gutted but Ben deserved to see his first ever child being born right? It'll probably just be me and ben this time though.

18. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

yeah i hear what most of you are saying, that if i do have a birthing partner to choose carefully and three ppl have asked me but only one out of the three stands out for me as a suitable partner to have there as ive known her since 4 years old she is one of my oldest and best friends she has done it twice before herself and she makes me laugh all the time so she would probably bo a good person to have there as i know she will lighten the atmosphere

19. tessica123

tessica123 Well-Known Member

I just wanted my oh, he kept saying ask your mum as well but I was adamant just us then near end I got upset and he said do you want your mum I said yes he toddler off to ring her and walked back in 5 min later with her
    He knew I'd want her so had already got her waiting I had my boy 5min afte she walked in

This time will be just us as mum will have lo unless my sister is able to have him them mum for sure will be there

20. Ember

Ember Pregnant - 3rd Trimester

We are planning for it to just be me and my hubby, and hopefully a doula. If for any reason my hubby is unreachable at the time (if I go into labor while he's at work and can't get ahold of him), then I will probably beg my best friend to be with me, too. It just feels weird to want her there, though, because I always thought I'd get to be there for the birth of her children, but thanks to her overbearing husband (who has since thankfully straightened out), I was alienated from her life at the time her first was born, and things were never really the same afterward.

My mom really wants to be there and is very angry at me for not wanting her there. I know she will be pissed as hell and probably stop speaking to me if my best friend is at my delivery and she isn't... I would be careful choosing one of the three if I were you, you might risk alienating the two you don't choose. If you are worried about that, it might be better not to have any of them.