birthing plans - what have you put in yours? any recommendations???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by mrs_rj, Dec 24, 2009.

1. mrs_rj

mrs_rj Well-Known Member

after seeing MW today she recommended i do a birthing plan (not done one yet!).

I was just wondering what you have put in yours or for those who have had babies do you have any recommendations?

i know i want to put that i def don't want pethadine, and would like the birthing pool if poss, and that will be bottle feeding, but apart from that i'm clueless!!!

any suggestions would be appreciated :thumbup: xxx

2. suzanne108

suzanne108 Well-Known Member

I've put that I want baby delivered straight onto my chest rather than being taken away and cleaned first.

Any preferences on assisted delivery e.g. forceps/ventouse

Whether you want baby to have vitamin K and by which method - think its either orally or a jab.

Whether you want the injection to have placenta delivered more easily...can't remember what its called sorry!

Do you want to tear naturally or have a epsiotomy (sp) if necessary.

Would you allow student docs/midwives into the room.

Hmmmm.....think thats about everything in mine :thumbup:

You can pretty much put whatever you want....I know some people have said what music they want playing, that they want baby referred to by name etc....I think mine is pretty basic and most of it says "I would prefer this but if necessary blah blah...." cos its a hard thing to plan!

3. mrs_rj

mrs_rj Well-Known Member

thank you! hadn't even thought of most of those things! xxx

4. suzanne108

suzanne108 Well-Known Member

5. JayDee

JayDee Sunshine and rainbow

My MW gave me no advice whatsoever, I brought it up with her!

The tutor at our NCT class recommended that you keep it as simple as possible because you'll be disappointed if it's very specific and things don't go to plan.

Mine is about 10 bullet points regarding:

pain relief
    cutting the cord
    skin to skin contact
    wanting DH to stay with me/the baby if I have to have a c-section

If you google "sample birth plan" there are some good examples of things to include.

6. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

i knew what birth i wanted from the min i took the test but it didnt plan out so my advice would be make a plan yes markin things that u defo do and dont want but dont be dissapointed if u dont get all u want.

7. 21Rach

21Rach Mum & TTC

a really important thing to think about is do u want pain relief offered and suggested - cos ya know it's there some women in labour say "i will ask if i want pain relief" otherwise things can get put into your mind u may of not totally needed it :) x

8. Kota

Kota Mum and Preg!

pain relief, labour positions, do you want to be on a bed or free to move around?
    monitoring of baby? examinations? baby delivered straight to your chest or taken and cleaned up first?
    in the event of a c-section will your birthing partner remain with you? if you can't hold the baby first for any reason do you want them to?
    cutting the cord, would you or your birth partner like the opportunity to do this?
    do you want the cord clamped/cut immediately or would you like to be able to pulse out giving baby back the blood it can?

remember its not a 'plan' though, just 'preferences'.

9. SJR

SJR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link suzanne. My midwife has been pretty much useless at offering me advice about anything, so the birth plan you posted will be very helpful to me.

10. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

theres not much point having this on ur plan as if ur not allowed to move they wont care its on ur birth plan. for example if ur induced u are strapped to a bed for on a monitor whether u want to move or not

11. Kota

Kota Mum and Preg!

true,,. hence why i've put the statement at the end that these really should be called birth 'preferences' rather then 'plans' as obviously everything will depend on the situation at the time and what you write down is what you would 'prefer' in an ideal situation.

12. MrsQ

MrsQ Mummy to Mikey and bump

i know in mine no one has even told what i need to do but knew i wanted skin to skin and also for them to show hubby the privates and for him to announce the sex not them!
    xxx