birthing pool?

Bee70

Reaction score
Hi, was just wondering who is planning on using a birth pool? I hadn't even considered it until my antenatal class and the midwives were talking about it. They had brought one, but I didn't sit in it as didn't think I would ever want to do that, but it sounded quite good, and a lot more relaxed than giving birth in a bed. I think the main factor against is the thought of floating poo!
What is everyone planning on?

I'm planning to use a pool but I know that I'll have to take my Tens machine off to go in, so I'll see how I feel - maybe I'll like the Tens machine too much!:laugh2:

Also I've heard that some people who plan to use the pool, get in and then don't like it, so who knows :shrug:

I just think it'll feel nice and relaxing

i decided the other day i want too - just have to run it past the MW!
:)

I dont think poo would bother u at the time lol!

I am planning on using the pool if everything stays ok and I am in the midwifes unit. Have left it open as to whether I use it just for pain relief or for actually giving birth, apparently some women prefer to get out to push (which solves the poo problem!!!)

I love warm water, have had a bath just about every night of my pregnancy to ease aches and pains so I figured the pool would be good for me.

I'm having a home birth with a pool :) I got mine from Made In Water and honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough. Only used it for relaxing in so far, and I may well want to birth on dry land on the day, but so far it's brilliant!

I ummmed and ahhhed about getting a hire one, but in the end I prefer the privacy and security of my little pool.

yip if the pool is available wen i go in im def guna be using it!! from wat ive heard the water is a great help with the pain, plus having a bath normally relaxes me a lot too!

I'm having a home birth with a pool :) I got mine from Made In Water and honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough. Only used it for relaxing in so far, and I may well want to birth on dry land on the day, but so far it's brilliant!

I ummmed and ahhhed about getting a hire one, but in the end I prefer the privacy and security of my little pool.

How much did it cost you to hire? Also how much room does it take up and how much of a pain is filling it up? I would like a home birth but also want a waterbirth but keep thinking it's to much hassle and may as well go into the birthing unit.

Sorry about all the questions! Xx

How much did it cost you to hire? Also how much room does it take up and how much of a pain is filling it up? I would like a home birth but also want a waterbirth but keep thinking it's to much hassle and may as well go into the birthing unit.

Sorry about all the questions! Xx

Don't worry about the questions! I've been planning my home birth since before we got pregnant so I'm quite the advocate now and happy to answer anything I can :)

Mine isn't a hire one, it's an inflatable one you buy. Don't be put off by it being inflatable - I was originally going to get a hire one with heater and filter (whistles and bells), but to me this is actually far better. It means it doesn't matter when baby arrives and I can use it afterwards for baby bonding. Mine cost around £100 (google "Made In Water" or "La Bassine"), is robust enough a heavily pregnant woman can sit on the sides (trust me, I've tested it!) and doesn't actually take up much space at all. There're tons of photos on Made In Water's website, with and without labouring women in, to give you an idea. It's also deep enough to kneel in without being out of the water, but easy to get in and out of for loo trips.

It blows up in minutes and you fill it up from a standard tap - you get the hose to fill and a water pump to empty as part of the package.

I did consider a birth centre or similar, but as there's no guarantee the pool will be free when you need it (or a water birth friendly MW will be on duty in some cases) I didn't want to risk it. I always wanted a home birth anyway so it was no big deal for me.

Have you visited the homebirth.org.uk website?

HTH - any more questions feel free to ask :)

I used the pool! It was amazing and I'm sooo glad we did it this way, even if it was an accident! I'll not lie...it hurt like hell and I'll be surprised if the MW won't need a hip replacement from the amount of times I kicked her in the side, but it was completely worth it.

My healing was very quick, I had one tiny tear that healed quick and my head was less fuzzy than if I had chosen any other method (i.e. compared to the women that had epidurals/pethadine).

The water did get a bit dirty, but it was a mixture of baby stuff as well as mummy stuff, but you don't even notice at the time. I couldn't pee though (baby related not pool related) so I had to come out for a while so the MW could put a catheter in me (soz TMI). I was out for about 15 mintues, then back in again.

OH loooooved the birth (more than me haha!). He had such a hand in the actual birth and gave me such great encouragement from the side. He also saw LO come out and do his little twirl in the water before being placed on my chest. I wouldn't have changed anything for the world..

thanks for the replies... all sounds very encouraging. I think I'm too nervous to have a home birth, but apparently the hospital pool is usually free so will take the opportunity if it is there.
Also, the pool room is meant to be extra special with twinkling lights on the ceiling etc, so should be a better experience all round.. think I'm a convert!

as long as we make it to 37 weeks so that we can go to the midwife unit we will be having a water birth - my firend had her little girl in ond and only needed gas and air with it compared to her first childs birth in a hospital bed. she said the pain was so much easier to bear and the water was very relaxing and also took the weight of her bump. The only thing i'm worried about is the mess i'll make in it, but i'm sure when the time comes i really won't be bothered about that!!! xxx

Thanks Snoopy, would be interested how it goes for you! I have been on the homebirth website but not on the pools website. I have a scan on the 6th of Jan to find out where the placenta is and then I can decide for sure. I feel much more relaxed about giving birth at home than in a hospital so if I can get a pool in time I probably will xx

I'm hoping to use the pool at the birthing centre...being in the bath is about the only time bump feels comfy right now so I'd like to use it, plus I'm going to a birthing centre so no epidurals for me.

I need to use all the pain relieving things I can before getting out of the pool and getting the pethadine!

Hi, was just wondering who is planning on using a birth pool? I hadn't even considered it until my antenatal class and the midwives were talking about it. They had brought one, but I didn't sit in it as didn't think I would ever want to do that, but it sounded quite good, and a lot more relaxed than giving birth in a bed. I think the main factor against is the thought of floating poo!
What is everyone planning on?

I have had 4 waterbirths and they are fantastic!!:thumbup:

Don't worry about the "floating poo":haha: this might happen but the midwives have a sive and bucket :blush: (lovely i know) and get it out of the water without comment! they have seen it all before!!:haha:

As for anyone thinking of buying a pool look on ebay etc you can get some bargains (but remember to add p&p to the price) or put a wanted add on netmums?) that is what i did and got mine for £40 instead of £140!!:happydance:

:hugs:

I definately want a water birth and it's one of the main reasons I'm having a home birth - the idea of being in a hospital and then not even being able to use the pool is my idea of a nightmare. I was going to buy an inflatable one from Birth in a box.

my sisters having a water birth :)
the hospital im off too only have one pool - so if someones in it then i cant use it - would only want to use it for a bit of pain relief tho - i bet its nice rolling around in the water lol! xx

What does the water temp have to be? I love a hot bath, but obviously Baby can't be born into hot water...

What does the water temp have to be? I love a hot bath, but obviously Baby can't be born into hot water...

For the birth the water needs to be 37.5 degrees but it can be warmer or cooler for labouring in.:thumbup:

I was hoping to use the birthing pool, but have been told that I probably won't be allowed due to my SPD. They are worried about being able to get me out of the pool quickly enough if there is a complication. I can still get myself in and out of the bath tub, so I don't really see why it is an issue. I'm actually pretty upset about it as I'm at my most comfortable in the bath. It really takes the weight off my pelvis. I'm concerned about finding a comfortable position out of the pool and can see it leading to me needing an epidural, which is something I was hoping to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->