Biting the bullet

CareBear

Is considering whats next
Reaction score
Hi all, some of you may remember me from the LTTTC boards well I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going to my GP to ask to be re-referred to an FS and giving IVF a go. This is a big decision for me as I was always adament I wouldn't do this but it is quite obvious now that I don't ovulate very regularly by myself and clomid isn't quite enough to help me get that BFP. After 4 years or more TTCing, I'm thinking it would be worth giving one full cycle a go and if that doesn't work a FET - am I right in thinking that this is an option on the NHS, if of course you are lucky enough to have more than a couple of embyo's be viable and able to be frozen?

That's my first question, my next is there anyone currently or recently had IVF in the East Anglian region around, if so can you tell me who your FS was before you went onto IVF, what options you had and other treatments done prior to IVF and where are you having IVF and what are/were your experiences please :flower:

And my final question is what tests do you have before your IVF referal is accepted, these quite honestly petrify me and have been a small part of my decision not to undergo IVF up till now so the more information the better I think so I know exactly what to expect. I hate the unknown! :wacko:

Thank you very much ladies and good luck to everyone currently have treatment or waiting for results. :hugs:

hi i cant help you with the first 2 questions but just wanted to say i was really frightened too and waited 8 long years, i realise now there was nothing to be scared of, i had to have day 3 and day 21 bloods done for 3 mths and a hsg test to check my tubes i was really worried about this but it was fine i took some strong pain releif about 20 mins before the test and didnt feel a thing, the results of this confirmed we needed ivf, i then had to have a scan to check my womb lining the position of my ovarys and to check for cysts this was just a normal ultrasound, once refered i needed more bloods to check my egg reserve, rubella status and infection screening, it really wasnt worth worrying about or all the sleepness night i had, good luck x

I think it's great to be proactive about TTC... especially when its been a while. Going to a FS can only help really... and maybe they'll be able to speed the process along for ya ;)

I know it's not how we imagined it... I certainly did not think I would be doing IUI!!! BUT- if this is how I'm meant to have my baby, then so be it. I'll do whatever it takes! lol.

I can't really answer your specific IVF questions... I only know what I was told from our FS. And in our situation, it may not be worth the $ for the small chance we'd have... as with my FSH levels, I'd be luck to end up with only one viable egg for IVF. Boo! But, have you asked about injectables with IUI first? Maybe the Clomid just wasn't enough for you- but we were told injectable hormones are stronger and can help some woman who didn't work well with Clomid. I believe the success rates are higher as well? Might be worth asking about, just in case.

Best of luck hun!!!!!

I don't have any answers for you, but I just wanted to wish you the best in whatever decision you take.

I think it's great to be proactive about TTC... especially when its been a while. Going to a FS can only help really... and maybe they'll be able to speed the process along for ya ;)

I know it's not how we imagined it... I certainly did not think I would be doing IUI!!! BUT- if this is how I'm meant to have my baby, then so be it. I'll do whatever it takes! lol.

I can't really answer your specific IVF questions... I only know what I was told from our FS. And in our situation, it may not be worth the $ for the small chance we'd have... as with my FSH levels, I'd be luck to end up with only one viable egg for IVF. Boo! But, have you asked about injectables with IUI first? Maybe the Clomid just wasn't enough for you- but we were told injectable hormones are stronger and can help some woman who didn't work well with Clomid. I believe the success rates are higher as well? Might be worth asking about, just in case.

Best of luck hun!!!!!

Thanks for replying, I've been under my local FS for the last three years and it is under them that I've been taking the clomid with scans and HCG jabs. My clinic only did IUI with clomid not injectables and they no longer offer IUI as the success rates were quite low. This has been again part of my decision not to go to IVF as I felt that other options before that step weren't being offered or looked at first, but at the end of the day now I've only got so many years left that I will be able to get the treatment free on the NHS so I decided I may as well give it a go and if it doesn't work can go back and look at other options and fund privately as we will have more money saved up then.

Thanks everyone who answered and I would be really grateful for any more answers anyone has. :flower:

Hi CareBear

I have just been accepted on to IVF and have my appointment on the 8th March. There a few things I did to speed things along:
- HSG done
- Bloods done to check ovulation and progesterone
- DH had a semen analysis (morphology low which is our issue)
- HIV, Rubella, Hep C blood tests

Get these done before, go to the FS with it and that is all the boxes ticked. I would also get copies of the results from your GP and take them with you... the hospital always manages to miss information so best not to give them any chance to delay. Make sure you pick from your options where you want to go, I had Hammersmith or Herts and Essex.. went on to IVF world. com and here and noted the patient care was better and H&E and at the end of the day, we are going through a hard enough time without feeling like you are a number!!

I would not be worried about IVF - if this is our journey then it is. Just prepare yourself and your body... I take vits to help egg quality - royal jelly, maca, spirulina and folic acid of course. Upping my protein intake and lots of eggs for our eggies... Apparently it takes 3 months for your body to change so start as soon as you decide to go for it.

I hope it works for all of us, I go through positive emotions and then dark thoughts about it not working... but at least science gives us this opportunity - we are blessed xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->