Bladder infection?!

Ella86

Reaction score
So, turns out I have a bladder infection (what the heck?!) - I've had ONE before, that I know of, when I was young. The doctor put me on a seven day course of antibiotics (amoxicillin), which I don't feel good about :( Just started it last night. This could be why my body was freaking out so much in the beginning with fever etc. My body reacts insanely strong to hormones... And that initial surge left me with a frigging bladder infection too! Apparently bladder infections are super common in pregnancy because progesterone relaxes the ureters making it hard to get it at all out/causes backflow/and urine contains more sugar... But did anyone else get one straight away? I hope that this isn't going to be something I'll battle the whole pregnancy! I HATE the thought of taking antibiotics! I feel like I have no choice really though, because of the risks :(

Anyone else have one? Did anyone who's further along in their pregnancy have one straight away but that was it and didn't have any more issues with it?

Thanks!

My last pregnancy I had a uti in the beginning and then around 30 weeks I had a kidney infection which was pretty serious and caused lots of complications because the infection went to my blood and caused my baby to stop growing. Not trying to scare you (i was severely anaemic and there were lots of factors missed in my care with my midwife) but antibiotics are much better than that outcome which is pretty extreme so please don't feel bad about taking them. its always good to find out early with infections and 100% take the antibiotics prescribed to you.
I haven't had one this pregnancy so far. But I am drinking lots more fluids than I did before which helps keep them at bay.
Cranberry juice is supposed to help too. Some people are prone to them and some people just get the unlucky one. Hopefully you'll only have this one. Xxx

Thanks for the info - Sorry to hear about your experience :( Hopefully this time around you won't have that problem! If it helps to drink more, I will start that asap and I will also look for some organic cranberry juice or even cranberries, see what I can find. Your post made me feel much better! I certainly don't want the infection to get out of hand. I did start the antibiotics right away, just didn't feel good about it... But I feel better about it now, so thank you.

<3

I always seem to get them VERY early in pregnancy. The only 3 UTI's I have had in like 8 years have been while pregnant. With this baby, I had gotten one like the day after ovulation. Too much BDing and I didnt want to waste the :spermy: so I wasnt getting up to pee right after. I KNEW I had gotten pregnant, tried treating it for a few days with cranberry juice and it wasnt helping so I went to the dr. Told them I thought I was pregnant and so I wanted to be on something safe. They gave me an antibiotic before my culture came back, turned out the bacteria I had was resistant to the antibiotic and because it was so early in pregnancy, the pregnancy test came back negative, so they put me on something that isnt generally considered safe for pregnancy. 5 day prescription and 2 days into it I got the :bfp:. Finished it up, because I had to and everything seems to be fine so far (granted I havent had my first ultrasound yet so I cant say that 100%)

In any case, amoxicillin is pretty common. Take it and try not to stress. You dont want the infection getting worse and going to your kidney. Thats not pleasant (been there, done that a few times). You may not end up with another one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->