Bleach

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by nikkibr, Dec 24, 2009.

1. nikkibr

nikkibr Well-Known Member

Hi girls, my mum told me to clean all my bathrooms with bleach today, so (i havnt really used bleach before just normal cleaning products) and i didnt really know what to do - so i have been pouring bleach all over the sinks and shower and bath. i left it on there for about half an hour then went to clean it off - i was prob cleaning for about half an hour too - my house is only small and the smell of bleach is SO strong! im so stupid and after i had done it i was really worried that i shouldnt have been leaning over and breathing in bleach for so long - i think i actually used about 2/3 of the bottle. am i being silly to think that i might have done something bad to my baby? becuase if im breathing it in surely she is too?? i have the door to outside open now to let some fresh air in and have shut the bathroom doors?
    xx

2. chatts

chatts Well-Known Member

I wouldn't panic - it's not advisible to breathe these things in any time but I think it's coz it's bad for your lungs. I always clean the toilets with bleach. You're getting loads of fresh air now so I'd relax - I assume you usually feel your bubba kick now? Felt her?

3. nikkibr

nikkibr Well-Known Member

hey thanks for the reply - yeah i think i can feel her a bit so im trying not to worry too much!! u know us mums we worry about everything!! xx

4. Minstermind

Minstermind Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll be fine. I forgot with my first and used various cleaning products a few times and things were fine, but as they say, it's really not healthy to breathe in those things at any time in your life. I actually used to use bleach regularly and something happened over time to where now, if I use it and smell it more than just a faint whiff while I clean the toilets, then I actually get SICK from it! As in, I instantly get a sore throat and sinus problems. I don't know what I did to myself but it's almost like I'm allergic to bleach now.

Anyway, if you do use bleach, it's actually better to dilute it with some water in a spray bottle, so you're not whacking down loads of it at a time.

But as I don't use bleach much anymore except around the toilets, I find it just as effective to use a half vinegar-half water solution in a spray bottle. Completely non toxic and is just as effective at killing the germs, and I like the idea of having non-toxic cleaning products in the house anyway :)