Bleeding and cramping after pap smear without consent

Marumi

36, DS 7 and 2
Reaction score
I am very upset about this. During the exam today I felt sudden scraping and my doctor told me it is for routine cancer screening.
I was not asked if I am okay witj having it done, nor would I have agreed because with my son it caused horrible cramping.
She said I could spot a little...

However I am actually bleeding a good deal now and cramping which is so scary. Some blood went in the toilet and this is what I had in my panties.

Should I be worried? Is this a normal amount of blood after a pap smear?

Seriously so so upset. Baby survived a bleed from a hematoma 2 weeks ago and today we saw the heartbeat..and now that :(

Attachments

• 20150915_181637_mh1442335144897.jpg
    20150915_181637_mh1442335144897.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 32
During my last pregnancy, my doctor warned me that I could have some bleeding after the pap, but not to worry about it. If you're concerned, I would call your doctor.

I've never had bleeding with a pap, but maybe it's different w pregnancy? That seems like a lot of blood though...did u call ur doc?

I was told they couldn't do a cancer screen during pregnancy because just having a baby nearby can show up as abnormal cells.

I have bled after every pap I've had in my life and pregnancy can make cervixes more sensitive. It's probably okay.

I bled after a vaginal exam only once, but I wasn't pregnant. I don't know why doctors insist on doing a pap during pregnancy - especially if you're a healthy adult that is married and has never had an abnormal result.

Paps are invasive, and can cause trauma. Did the doctor know you are pregnant? I hope it all turns out ok! Just relax and don't stress too much, if you can help it.

I bled after a vaginal exam only once, but I wasn't pregnant. I don't know why doctors insist on doing a pap during pregnancy - especially if you're a healthy adult that is married and has never had an abnormal result.

Paps are invasive, and can cause trauma. Did the doctor know you are pregnant? I hope it all turns out ok! Just relax and don't stress too much, if you can help it.

Yes my OB knew...she did an ultrasound right after. I don't understand why she did not ask me or at least warn me??
I would not have agreed...it is not like I can get treated in pregnancy IF I have cervical cancer.

I've never had bleeding with a pap, but maybe it's different w pregnancy? That seems like a lot of blood though...did u call ur doc?

Everything is closed now and the local ER has a bunch of idiots. They behaved horribly during my previous MC and when I called in for a bleed 2 weeks ago.

I was told they couldn't do a cancer screen during pregnancy because just having a baby nearby can show up as abnormal cells.

I have bled after every pap I've had in my life and pregnancy can make cervixes more sensitive. It's probably okay.

I just had a pap smear in June too...and it seems so silly to do it now. Why not wait until after pregancy because in pregnancy there is nothing they can do.

I think they do it because there are several things that can be checked during a pap that can be harmful to the baby and can safely be treated. For example, if you have any unnoticed bacterial infection they can give you antibiotics. Undiagnosed, an infection can cause miscarriage or preterm labor, but if it's treated, you should be fine. They wouldn't do it if it was completely unnecessary.

I think it's a little ridiculous that he didn't ask you. My doctors always ask if they're going to do anything - my doctor even warns me his hands are cold during the breast exam. Also, I'm not sure about Germany, but my doctor says that if you don't have a history of abnormal paps, you need one every 3 years, pregnancy or not. So if you had one in June, the one today was definitely unnecessary. You can test for bacterial infections and other infections without a pap, as well. If I were you, I'd let my doctor know in a professional and kind way that from now on, you want to be advised of any exams BEFORE they happen. Not only advised, but ASKED. It's your body, and you always have the right to say no, so it's irritating to me that he'd do the pap without your knowledge.

Everything is closed now and the local ER has a bunch of idiots. They behaved horribly during my previous MC and when I called in for a bleed 2 weeks ago.

UGH I'm so sorry ur going through this! The most assuring thing I can say is that if u were having a MC there would definitely be clotting in there..it looks like a lot of blood but no clots so that's good news! I can't believe they did that without telling u!

I just had a pap smear in June too...and it seems so silly to do it now. Why not wait until after pregancy because in pregnancy there is nothing they can do.

I totally don't understand why you had to have a pap if you did one in June?! If it was abnormal, they should have told and treated you. In Canada they recommend 1 per year.
No need fr multiples.
I had a pap at 10 weeks and was pretty stressed afterwards as I had bad cramping. It was a good reminder not just to undergo the pregnancy, but take charge. Even in the doctor's office. You always have a choice.

I think that is outrageous! Complain to someone. I would be fuming!
They won't do them here if you are pregnant.

UGH I'm so sorry ur going through this! The most assuring thing I can say is that if u were having a MC there would definitely be clotting in there..it looks like a lot of blood but no clots so that's good news! I can't believe they did that without telling u!

Yes luckily no clots and the bleeding slowed down some. Just drops here and there. I am shocked myself they just took my choice away. :(

I totally don't understand why you had to have a pap if you did one in June?! If it was abnormal, they should have told and treated you. In Canada they recommend 1 per year.
No need fr multiples.
I had a pap at 10 weeks and was pretty stressed afterwards as I had bad cramping. It was a good reminder not just to undergo the pregnancy, but take charge. Even in the doctor's office. You always have a choice.
Just with this they did not give me a choice. No warning that she is going to do a pap smear, no asking me if I consent. I thought she was looking at my cervix when I felt scraping all of a sudden. I asked what it going on and she said "oh just routine cancer screening." :nope:
I got the June pap smear done somewhere else but if she would have asked me I could have told her I just had a normal pap smear.

I think that is outrageous! Complain to someone. I would be fuming!
They won't do them here if you are pregnant.
I complained right after and will call them tomorrow and tell them I bled lots too. This is so disappointing because I was really happy with this OB and the whole office after having had bad experiences with 2 other doctors.
My friends said in Germany these screen are always routinely done in early pregnancy....
When I was pregnant with my son we lived in San Diego. It was so diffferent.

I think it's a little ridiculous that he didn't ask you. My doctors always ask if they're going to do anything - my doctor even warns me his hands are cold during the breast exam. Also, I'm not sure about Germany, but my doctor says that if you don't have a history of abnormal paps, you need one every 3 years, pregnancy or not. So if you had one in June, the one today was definitely unnecessary. You can test for bacterial infections and other infections without a pap, as well. If I were you, I'd let my doctor know in a professional and kind way that from now on, you want to be advised of any exams BEFORE they happen. Not only advised, but ASKED. It's your body, and you always have the right to say no, so it's irritating to me that he'd do the pap without your knowledge.

After my second child, I started going to my midwife instead of a gynecologist because she sees how being so invasive is not necessary. if you're an adult -over25, in a long term monogamous relationship and have never had an abnormal pap, why would you need to take your pants off during every appointment if nothing is amiss?

Wow I would be fuming, I feel so sorry for you this is so invasive and would have made me very very uncomfortable. I'd make a formal,complaint as it was done without your knowledge and consent and I would switch doctors it's completely outrageous

I will definitely complain. Though I feel they will say it is routine, everyone gets it done, just to be safe. I don't expect they will be understanding.
I will try to find someone else today too. Really don't feel well taken care of.

My cervix feels sore today but I haven't bled more than a bit of spotting here and there.

Hi Marumi,
I am really sorry this happened to you and I totally understand how distressing it is. I have an upcoming appointment for a pap smear that I really don't want to have because it was excruciating last time (but at least I know what is happening!) I am an American in Italy and while I don't have a US pregnancy experience to compare things too, I find that a lot of what happens to individuals here is determined by a massive public health system machine built around demographics and our treatment sometimes has very little to do with our personal situations. I see other patients are very subservient and grateful to the all-knowing medical professionals whereas I would expect something more like a client-service relationship. Especially during labor and delivery information was given to me on a "need to know" basis and the whole hospital experience was rather brutal (though I always had confidence that they were looking out for my baby and it was rather nice not to have a single bill to pay at the end).
As I'm sure you know, someone somewhere decided that a good time to catch women for cervical cancer screening was when they come in for other things like pregnancy or birth control and so it is part of your doctor's "Protocol" and your informed consent is considered irrelevant because it is supposed to be a safe and harmless procedure. If it is any consolation, I'm sure this practice saves lots of lives (but not yours or mine because we don't have cervical cancer!!). The doctor needs to check the boxes and filling out the form or submitting the test sample becomes an end in itself. Of course if she had mentioned it beforehand you could have told her you just had it done and avoided the scary bleeding, but I am sure your doctor barely noticed your protest. As far as complaining...I think it is pointless and it will just be more upsetting for you. The System and the Machine and the Protocol are too strong and pervasive and I think this is just the beginning of frustrating medical encounters. Instead, you (and I too!) need to communicate somehow early on in these situations that we do need to know what is happening and we are educated enough to make non-hysterical decisions about our own health.

do you know if you have cervical erousion (basically a sensitive cervix) because every time I have a smear pap I have bleeding and cramps could be that your just extra sensitive at the moment, I would complain though as here in the uk they say they wont do them until 3 months after because it can show abnormal when your pregnant xxx

You are totally right about the system...I did call and let them know I bled lots and that I did not want the pap smear.
They say it is routine for everyone and very safe. I think they probably felt I am silly for not wanting it.

Tbh I had Cervical Cancer in the past. I lost a pregnancy 2009 because invasive cervical cancer screening. Treatments weren't successful and even when I was pregnant with my son I still have cervical cancer. After pregnancy I switched to alternative healing method, a low carb Paleo diet and supplements like Pectasol C. That year was the first time in over 8 years that I had a normal PAP and no sign of HPV, no cancer cells. After all this I have taken a different stance towards the "cervical cancer hype." Prevention is good but I think forcing and exam onto everyone is a bit over the top.
My cervix is heavily scarred. I am very sensitive to anything that is done to my cervix and want to be informed. This exam and bleed has brought back so many bad memories.

The system seems so much about administering drugs and procedures that make money. When I was hospitalized for a stomach infection in 2014, they were so eager to give me all sorts of drugs and even threatened to discharge me if I don't take them. I asked why not diagnose me first? The nurse said we have to give the insurance a reason you are in here. It does not look believable if you don't take pain meds. I pretended to take them and when the results came in it showed I have a small ulcer, which could have bled from the NSAIDS causing serious complications or death. They could have killed me...When I pointed that out I was discharged as "psychosomatic"...
With every one of my health issues I have made a lot of bad experiences with doctors. There are good and helpful doctors and then there are those that could be classified as a catastrophe.

I will be sure to state before every exam that I want to be informed and asked about everything. There are some vaccines coming up and I am sensitive to components of most vaccines.

Thanks for your input I really agree with your view of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->