Bleeding during first trimester

lornasmith

Mummy to a princess
Reaction score
Hi everybody, new to this site so not sure if i've posted in the right section. I recently found out im pregnant with my first child. It has been confirmed that I am 5 weeks and 3 days. Me and my partner are over the moon. :happydance:

We've been through the spotting stage and everything seemed to be ok, but on Monday night, I started bleeding, but only lightly. I went to bed and thought it may be ok. Tuesday morning I woke up and the bleeding was if I had come on my period. We were very worried so phoned the doctors and got in straight away. He said the cause could be many things but to prepare myself for a miscarriage. I have no aches, no pains, no passing clots, nothing but blood, so he said that was a good sign and it could just be my body going through the changes and getting rid of all the excess. The blood isnt extrememly heavy, just feels like a period to me.

He tried to get me into the epads at the hospital yesterday but they said it may be a little early and should wait til I'm six weeks pregnant. So now i have a scan booked in for first thing sunday morning. Now im waitng to find out if i still have my baby and it really is dragging. :nope:

But last night i passed a sort of string clot, only one, but i thought this could be it?

We're very worried and we have prepared ourselves but Im hoping that this isn't it. Has anybody else been in the same situation? What was the outcome?

Lorna

I hope everything is ok hon! :hugs:

Hi Lorna

I had a bleed when I was 9 weeks 2 days...not a massive one, but I had shooting pains for a few hours then bled for a couple of hours.

Went into a blind panic and took ourselves down to EPU - they scanned and everything was fine.

I bled again on the 9th of april (when I was 19 weeks) with mega clots and pains...again, panic...hospital...nothing. Baby is fine. Just my body having a wobble!

You can have bleeds for so many reasons hun, doesn´t necessarily mean you are having a MC.

Lots of ladies on here have had bleeds during first tri, second tri...it scares the crap out of you but doesn't always mean bad news.

I know its hard - I feel like I held my breath for the first 12 weeks...but try to stay calm and positive.

Hope your scan goes well on sunday. Let us know how you get on.

x

ps...I'm sure others will be along who can give you more info and reassurance, I just didn't want to read and run!!

hey hun , im 12 weeks+5 an had some spotting yesterday so scary aint it , my sister bled all through both her pregnancys but both babys were fine , good luck hun xxx

hi honey,

i have had 3 lots fo bleeding not heavy but everything so far is fine. try not to worry to much, can they not hurry on the scan? have you done a pregnancy test since? have you still got other pregnancy symptoms?

keep us informed honey and i hope everything will be ok :hugs:

They tried to get me in for a scan either yesterday or today but aparently the lady on the other end of the phone said they wont do it til im 6 weeks. (to cover their own backs i think) I havnt done another pregnancy test as the doctor said yesterday that it will still come up posotive for another two weeks even if i have miscarried as i'll still have the pregnant hormones.

Still bleeding as though im on a period. Still no cramps, pains or any clots xx

Lornasmith, I went through a similar experience when I was only 5 weeks. I bled (it was brown) and I went into the ER. They did a vaginal sonogram, blood tests, and urine tests. They told me the baby was supposed to be 8 weeks but was only a sac and was the size of 5 weeks. They told me there was blood next to the sac of the baby and I would most likely lose my child. So they set an appointment for 3 weeks after I went to the hospital and I waited. I had signs of miscarriage for the majority of the 3 weeks. Breast tenderness decreased, lower back pain, frequent cramping, and I didn't feel as sick anymore. Then on my scan last Tuesday I have a now 9 week 3 day old baby living inside of me. I seen its heart beat, it moved its head, and everything is completely normal.

Try not to freak out, A LOT of girls bleed during their pregnancy. My sister did, tons of girls on this website have, and even I did. Just have faith, pray to God, and know that your baby will be fine. Don't have sex, don't lift anything, stay at home (NO WORK/SCHOOL), lay on your left side and nap throughout the day, take your vitamins, and drink plenty of water. I wish you the best of luck hun and you will be in my thoughts and prayers! :hugs:

There's lots of people here who have had some bleeding and been fine.

I had a bleed around the same time as you and the EPU wouldn't scan me until I'd had a blood test to measure my HCG, as my levels came back at nearly 6 weeks they let me have a scan 3 days later as the results cam in on a Friday but said to be pepared for there not to be a heartbeat as it may have been too early still.

You could give the EPU a call and say that your're really worried and it hasn't stopped and ask them to at least book you in for a scan in four days?

Hope it gets better, I wont say try to relax as I know it doesnt help but take it easy. Even after my scan I was still spotting for about a week but my bubs is still in there and going strong.

:hugs:

I hope everything's okay. I could imagine how scared and anxious you must be - especially having to wait so long for the scan, not knowing if everything's okay. Have you had any more bleeding since or has it stopped? If you only passed one stringy clot - that doesn't sound like a lot to me - for a miscarriage. The other girls are right - lots of people have bleeding durinig the first trimester and everything turns out okay. Keep us updated...

They tried to get me in for a scan either yesterday or today but aparently the lady on the other end of the phone said they wont do it til im 6 weeks. (to cover their own backs i think) I havnt done another pregnancy test as the doctor said yesterday that it will still come up posotive for another two weeks even if i have miscarried as i'll still have the pregnant hormones.

Still bleeding as though im on a period. Still no cramps, pains or any clots xx

Hi Lorna, I can't speak from personal experience, but have been on the forum since the beginning of my pg - lots of women have experienced bleeding in early pg (for various reasons - some unknown) and gone on to have healthy pg.

I think most places don't perform scan's until 6 weeks minimum as there really isn't much to see before that (i.e. heartbeat cannot yet be detected on the scan), which can give misleading results (or not really tell anything).

Hope everything goes well

xx

hey dont get into a huge state when i was 25 weeks pregnant with my 1st i bled very heavily the doctors told me it was due to stress he is now 2 and very healthy. dont worry good luck

Just to update you all. It was confirmed that i miscarried. Hospital were useless. Didn't tell me anything. Were very blunt about it all. Didn't suggest any reason why i could of miscarried. No swabs taken, ect. Just took me into a room, told me id miscarried and discharged me. What a cruel world.

oh god hunny i am so sorry!!!!! big hugs to you and your partner!
x

I am so sorry, did they confirm this by scan or blood tests? they are horrible and so blunt about things like that. I hated it when they told me about my miscarriage, but as I didnt trust them I had to have an external scan done a week after to confirm that that was the case. Sadly it was, but at least I was given some explanations as to why etc

I am trully very sorry for your loss

ohhhh...I'm soooo sorry!! for doctors and nurses, this is probably a daily occurance so I'm sure it's hard for them to show any emotions!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->