bleeding nipples

Ley

mum to 3 pinks
Reaction score
I've only been breastfeeding since I had my daughter monday night but already my nipples are cracked and bleeding.
I've checked the latch and I can't see any problems with it.
When she forst latches it hurts so bad I have to cry out but after that it just pinches a little.
I'm using lanolin after every feed and have also been rubbing colostrum onto the nipple.
It's just hard because she wants to be on the breast most of the time but my poor nipples can't take it.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Im not sure I can help as such except to say it happens to a lot of women in the early days and it doesnt last so keep it up if you possibly can.Also ask for someone to come and check your latch,like a bf advisor or your midwife if shes any good,just to make sure.Try changing to a different position to feed and get some fresh air on your nipples to help the healing process.hope you find some relief soon,your doing a great job :hugs:

No advice either I'm afraid - it happened to me too! Lansinoh is fab though and I literally smoothered myself in it before and after feeding. Still do now occassionally! If it is really sore, you could try nipple shields? I tried them and whilst it hurt less, Erin would not stay latch on and ended up chewing the shield instead. Works for some though.

Good luck!

i got this too! it got a lot better after my midwife 'tweeked' my latch!!!! Shove more boob in!!!!! got better about day 4/5, keep going it will get easier!

Have you tried different feeding positions? For me it helped alot.

Tommee Tippee also do breast cooling gel pads which you pop in the fridge then onto your nipple and it helps them heal, these were a God send to me in the early days.

I think alot of Mummys have this problem in the early days but they wont hurt forever, your nipples will be tough as leather in no time! :flower:

I had this too. I found that nursing in the rugby/football hold was less painful than the cross cradle hold. Maybe you could try that?

Also like PP's have said use lots of Lanisoh, BM on nipples, try to air dry your nips too as much as possible.

For the first few weeks I used to cry before every feed, I was so scared of the pain. And when LO latched on I'd want to hit the ceiling it was so sore! For me it did eventually get a bit better around 6 weeks. I remember being disappointed as I'd been told by a midwife that the pain would be gone by 2 weeks :dohh:

Hang in there! It's tough in the beginning but so so so worth it in the long run.
Good luck :flower:

What they all said and get LO double checked for a tongue tie, it's quite common and is often missed when they are born xx

Hi Ley!
Firstly, well done you for choosing to BF! It is a lot harder than people realise so good for you!
When I first BF I imagined it would be this wonderful, lovely, bonding experience, but like you, after just a couple of days I started to be in a lot of pain and considered giving up many times, but I was determined not to feed baby formula!
My nipples were red raw, cracked, bleeding, I started to avoid feeds and during feeds I would actually cry and wince the whole time. It was not nice!
So I do have lots of tips for you, which helped me...I am still BF'ing!

1. Lansinoh after every feed is a great idea as it helps to "wet heal" the nipple...you dont want your nipples to dry out when they are already so sore.
2. Sleep topless when your nipples are really sore. You will probably leak everywhere, so put an old towel down in the bed. The leaking milk will help to heal your nipples. Your milk is a great healer for your nipples.
3. Remember, babies have small mouths and it may be simply that baby cant take very much of your areola in his mouth. In this case, which it was for me, get yourself some Avent nipple shields. I used these for approx 8 weeks and decided to take them off one day to see what happened, and it no longer hurt when I fed as baby had got big enough that he could take more nipple in. Hurrah!
4. Try different holds so that the baby sucks on different parts of your boob instead of the same one. This may help make it less sore.
5. There is no reason why, if you are in a lot of pain, you cant take a paracetemol from time to time (not ibuprofen as you cant take it when BF'ing)
6. Get comfortable with lots of cushions, use a foot stool to get in a good position, and keep hydrated with lots of water..though it wont stop the pain, it will just make things slightly easier.
7. Remember that you are doing a wonderful thing and it wont always be this painful or hard!

I hope that helps!

xxx

Yup, I had this too. Mine were so cracked and bloody that when Clara would spit up afterward it'd be pink from my blood! Like the others have said, lots and lots of lansinoh and milk rubbed into your nipples, air dry them and try different holds. Also, if you're not adverse to pumping and giving a feeding by cup, feeding tube or bottle (I had to due to milk supply issues at first), pumping doesn't hurt as much and can give your nipples a bit of a break. I know not everyone wants to pump and feed expressed bm, but since I had to anyways I found out that it helped alot with the healing process. And it was only a short term thing anyhow. Good luck to you, and know that you are doing a wonderful thing by sticking it out.

wow what a lovely supportive thread!
Thankyou so much everyone for all of your advice and praise, it's really lovely.

The midwife came yesterday and checked the latch which she said was fine, I think maybe Megan has a very small mouth and just can't get enough areola in.
Midwife suggested Nipple shields but to be honest I really want to persevere as I am so worried about nipple confusion and basically anything which means I will have to give up.
Although it hurts I really do love breastfeeding, it gives me a great feeling knowing that I am able to do it and giving my baby the best so I really am determined to carry on through the pain.

Just one more question though if you don't mind.
She is a very good sleeper and slept for 10 hours straight last night. I got a bit worried about her getting dehydrated during the night so I tried to wake her up twice for a feed but she just wasn't interested. She did have a big feed this morning though when she woke up.

Should I be waking her in the night for feeds or if she is content should I just leave her?

Sorry for all the questions, although this is my third baby this is my first successful breastfeeding attempt so I'm a bit of a novice.

I'm not sure as she is quite young - maybe she is sleeping off the labour? I would normally say leave her to sleep and that she will wake when hungry, but I'm not too sure - hopefully someone else can be more helpful!!

if you do need to use nipple shields, don't worry. They saved my life in the beginning. My wounds were so bad, it took 4 whole weeks of using the shields before my nipples healed. The next time (assuming i'll have problems, my nipples are as tough as leather these days) i'll use the nipple shields earlier if I have to. It wasn't too hard to stop using them either.
And, like everyone said, checking the latch makes a huge difference. And Laninsoh! Lots and lots of it!
Keep at it, it'll get better, and these hard days will feel like a million years ago once you get the hang of it!

I know you will be tired but I would probably wake her at least once as she is so young I think she should have a feed during the night and it will also help build your supply.

get checked for a tounge tie or high roof to babys mouth then if theres no problems there

try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9XNdqmAUPM

oh and its normal for little babies to sleep , my rule was for the first week i would wake them for feeds ( mine tend to have jaundice issues so need to be fed often ) after that if they wanted to sleep at night i let them and woke them in the daytime if they tried sleeping to long lol unless of course they were ill or imediately following a growthspurt. it always worked for me this way

Defnitely wake her for a feed. She needs to feed to build your supply up. I would say you need at least 2 night feeds at this stage. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->