Blighted Ovum Diagnosis

AngelBaby1115

It's a BOY!!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm 23 years old and pregnant for the first time, I was extremely excited until this past wednesday. I found out on the 24th of October that we were expecting. The following weekend I went to the ER for side pain. I was automatically thinking the worst. But turns out it was a false alarm but they did an vaginal ultrasound and said I was measuring 5 weeks with no heartbeat. But they said not to worry that it wa still early. So I scheduled an appt with the OB a week later. Went to my appt, they did a v/ultrasound to still say I was measuring at 5 weeks. They said everything looked okay and that they wanted to do some bloodwork. My hcg went up as they were suppose to, so dthey said to come back in 2 weeks. Which was this past wednesday, they completely blindsided me with a Blighted Ovum. I thought everything was fine only to find out my baby never developed. Not even a yolk sac was found just the gestational sac which is continueing to grow at the appropriate rate. My ultrasounds only lasted maybe 30 seconds (actual exam). I am still having morning sickness all day long. So I am just curious as to if there is no baby why do I still feel this way? The doctor is really pushing a d&c but how do I know if they're diagnosis was correct if they only examined me for that short period of time? I have read online that most of the time a definite diagnosis cannot be made until 10 weeks and they're saying I'm only 7. But I was just curious if anyone else has been thru this. And if it is an BO when will my body try and take care of it? Thanks!! Very concerned!:wacko:

Hello Everyone. I'm 23 years old and pregnant for the first time, I was extremely excited until this past wednesday. I found out on the 24th of October that we were expecting. The following weekend I went to the ER for side pain. I was automatically thinking the worst. But turns out it was a false alarm but they did an vaginal ultrasound and said I was measuring 5 weeks with no heartbeat. But they said not to worry that it wa still early. So I scheduled an appt with the OB a week later. Went to my appt, they did a v/ultrasound to still say I was measuring at 5 weeks. They said everything looked okay and that they wanted to do some bloodwork. My hcg went up as they were suppose to, so dthey said to come back in 2 weeks. Which was this past wednesday, they completely blindsided me with a Blighted Ovum. I thought everything was fine only to find out my baby never developed. Not even a yolk sac was found just the gestational sac which is continueing to grow at the appropriate rate. My ultrasounds only lasted maybe 30 seconds (actual exam). I am still having morning sickness all day long. So I am just curious as to if there is no baby why do I still feel this way? The doctor is really pushing a d&c but how do I know if they're diagnosis was correct if they only examined me for that short period of time? I have read online that most of the time a definite diagnosis cannot be made until 10 weeks and they're saying I'm only 7. But I was just curious if anyone else has been thru this. And if it is an BO when will my body try and take care of it? Thanks!! Very concerned!:wacko:

My first miscarriage was a blighten ovum. Pretty much everything keeps growing as if you were pregnant except the baby, which never developed. So you still have HCG until the pregnancy is passed. I had to have a d&c with mine. I also did not like the way I was exam, I continued for another 2 weeks and went back for an ultrasound, I just wanted to make sure there was no chance.

I have never been through this but wanted you to know if you ever need a friend I am here,I am so deeply sorry :cry::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Angel i had a blighted ovum with my 3rd mc I was 11 weeks! I was offered early scans an refused as i had early scan with 1st mc an saw a hb an then a week later no hb!! So i decided not to i had a scan at 11 weeks an i was told the gestational sac measured correct but there was no baby i like u had symptoms bloatedness sore boobs headaches tiredness!! But coz that sac kept growing i needed a d and c!! I did go in for a d and c an i made them repeat my scan before i had a different sornographer an she showed me the screen an was with me for 10 mins showing me etc! My advice would be def get a 2nd opinion an do whats right for you dont be pushed into anything! I prefer d and c as its over i need a finale kind of like a funeral in my head an then the grieving process starts! But thats me i have mc naturally but at 5 and 6 weeks which both were like a heavy period, I hope this information helps you hun an my thoughts are with you if you need any info pls pm me xx

Hey. Thank you for the information. I have decided to just wait it out but I started bleeding yesterday unfortunately :'( but its very light with no tissue in it as of now. I have an appt with my ob today so we will see whether says. If I have started to miscarry then I will see if I can still opt for the d&c since my body is saying yes it is over. And then let the grieving process begin. Thanks again!!

i found out yesterday that my little bub was no longer with us :( i have a d&c booked in for tomorrow but ive been having cramps that feel like contractions i was diagnosed with a blightened ovum has anyone else had these pains, And has anyone conceived after this sad time?

Sorry you're going through this :hugs:

I had a blighted ovum a couple of years ago. I had all the normal pregnancy symptoms and then started bleeding at 12weeks. They did a scan and the sac hadn't grown past 6, so eventually it does stop. If I were you as you're so early, i'd probably just wait and get a second opinion, it will at least give you some peace of mind. Even though I was 12 weeks, they still told me to wait until my 12week scan to make sure (it wasn't book in until 14!), but I passed most of it naturally a week later.

Hope you're okay, a blighted ovum is really such a shock, here if you want to talk or anything xx

i found out yesterday that my little bub was no longer with us :( i have a d&c booked in for tomorrow but ive been having cramps that feel like contractions i was diagnosed with a blightened ovum has anyone else had these pains, And has anyone conceived after this sad time?

:hugs:

So sorry for your loss.

The pains are normal, I passed most of my BO naturally and it honestly felt like labour. Had a d&c a few months later (retained tissue), and was pregnant 3months later. They say you're most fertile afterwards! It's good to give yourself some time to grieve though xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"