• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Blighted Ovum--How Long Does it Take for Miscarriage?

Diana3

Reaction score
Hi Ladies. I had a missed miscarriage earlier in the year when the fetus stopped developing at around 6 weeks and there was no heartbeat. I found out at 8 weeks and at 12 weeks I had a D & C because the natural miscarriage wasn't happening. Fast forward to now, I'm supposed to be 8 weeks 2 days pregnant since my last period date. I had my first ultrasound at about 5 weeks due to light spotting which didn't really show anything but a thick uterine lining because it was too early. A week later a sac measuring 3.5 mm was seen on a transvaginal u/s. Another week and a half later (so at a little over 7 weeks since LPD), the dr saw a sac of 5.5 mm but she said it was empty. I was also spotting for a few days at that point, but very little and just brown blood. The Dr said unfortunately the pregnancy is not viable since the sac is empty aka blighted ovum and that I will probably miscarry within a week. She didn't recommend a D & C this time because the loss is early in the pregnancy and plus I had 2 D & Cs for missed miscarriage already. I also have a healthy 2-year-old daughter and had a perfect pregnancy with her. So at this point, nothing is happening. The spotting had pretty much stopped the past 2 days and I have no cramps or pain. I hate being in this limbo and not knowing when I will have the miscarriage. Has anyone had an experience with a blighted ovum and can share how long it took them to naturally miscarry? The wait is driving me crazy. TIA

Sorry to hear about your news. It's awful to find that out. I found out I had a blighted ovum at my 10 week appointment. I had no signs anything was wrong. I started spotting and light bleeding at 11 weeks and was it was getting fairly heavy at about 12 weeks. I ended up getting the D&C before I actually completed the miscarriage, but I think it would have been around 12 weeks. I hope it's sooner for you.

Sorry to hear about your news. It's awful to find that out. I found out I had a blighted ovum at my 10 week appointment. I had no signs anything was wrong. I started spotting and light bleeding at 11 weeks and was it was getting fairly heavy at about 12 weeks. I ended up getting the D&C before I actually completed the miscarriage, but I think it would have been around 12 weeks. I hope it's sooner for you.

Thank you so much for your response and I'm so sorry about your loss too. I would rather avoid the D & C since it's a surgerywith general anesthesia and I already had 2 of them. The waiting is the worst. Sometimes it makes me think maybe the dr is wrong and it's just a slow growing embryo, but probably slim chances of that.

I had to have two d&C's with my blighted ovum. They did blood tests which showed the numbers going up rather than down and repeated scans to show it was empty sac. I don't know how long it would have taken to happen naturally but I couldn't deal with increasing morning sickness etc with no hope.

Could they do blood tests for you as well?

My D&C wasn't complete and I had to go back in again as an emergency so I can understand wanting to avoid it.

I'm very sorry for your loss

Can they help with other interventions that are not a D&C? I used misoprostol for BO to speed things up. It didn't work for me, so they gave me methotrexate. I started bleeding within a day or so of that and it was 3 weeks until my HCG returned to 0.

Sorry you're dealing with this. :(

I'm so truly sorry to hear this. I've also had two D&Cs (pretty much pushed into it by my doctor) but the third I let happen naturally - and I'm glad I did because with the other two I kept wondering "what if?" My third was a blighted ovum that was discovered at when I should have been 7 weeks. I had ultrasounds weekly after that and after the third ultrasound was once again offered a D&C. I politely declined and never went back. I finally miscarried on my own when I would have been 11 weeks. Although it took that much time, when I finally passed the sac, it was admittedly not as painful as most of the horror stories you read on here. I would prefer that to a D&C any day.

So sorry for your loss mama xx I had a blighted ovum at 5 weeks and didn't miscarry until about 8 weeks. I also bled for a very long time, probably 3 weeks :/ then didn't get a period for like 8 weeks afterwards!

I'm so truly sorry to hear this. I've also had two D&Cs (pretty much pushed into it by my doctor) but the third I let happen naturally - and I'm glad I did because with the other two I kept wondering "what if?" My third was a blighted ovum that was discovered at when I should have been 7 weeks. I had ultrasounds weekly after that and after the third ultrasound was once again offered a D&C. I politely declined and never went back. I finally miscarried on my own when I would have been 11 weeks. Although it took that much time, when I finally passed the sac, it was admittedly not as painful as most of the horror stories you read on here. I would prefer that to a D&C any day.

Thank you so much and I'm very sorry for your losses. My situation is so similar to yours. It's been over a week since the discovery of the blighted ovum and things are not progressing. Still only very light spotting and no pain or cramps. I will be 9 weeks on Friday. So it could be another week or two before the natural miscarriage happens. Some days I forget I was pregnant at all and other days I'm terrified it might happen at work. At least it's a bit comforting to know it wasn't terribly bad for you-hoping for the same and wishing you and all the helpful ladies on here the best of luck and only good pregnancy experiences. 🤗

I will also say my natural mc was not more painful than a period and physically it wasn't anything to be scared of. It was just the emotional part that was difficult for me. I took 3 weeks off of work in the course of the mc.

Thank you again everyone who responded. It's now been two and a half weeks since the dr told me there was an empty sac and nothing is happening. I am 10 weeks now since the date of my last period. My dr was sure I would miscarry within a week of that last visit (at a bit over 7 weeks then) because I had brown spotting. Well the spotting never got heavier and now for the past 4 days it stopped completely. I feel like I'm being tortured. What the heck is going on? Can you be in a process of a miscarriage with spotting that just stops instead of getting heavier? I have had no cramping whatsoever, either. Can I expect spotting or bleeding to start again? I have an appointment next week; it was pretty much going to be to check if my miscarriage was complete and if my hormones are going down. And here I am still in limbo and completely exhausted.

I had a similure experience to you with my first daughter i had some medical complications which shut down the right side of my body we went for a early scan at 10 weeks heart beat they wanted another scan at 12 weeks no heart beat they gave me option of letting things happen naturally or a d&c so let things happen naturally i dont think i passed baby until 16 weeks as never bleed or spotted until the day it was over and at 16 weeks i had a proper labour and it was scary as it was my first but i think once it happened i had a scan a week later to make sure all the tissue had been expelled but hopefully they re scan and do test soon just so your not in limbo its the worst time fx for your awnser soon xx

I think it depends on the person lovely.
I had a missed miscarriage then 2 years later I had a blighted ovum. My blighted ovum I found out at my 12 week scan and had no signs at all, it took about 2 weeks for my body to realise and start bleeding.
Sorry xxx

Thanks again Mamas. So it looks like it may take 3-4 weeks for the body to realize the pregnancy is not viable. It will be 3 weeks for me on Monday since I found out about the blighted ovum. I read somewhere that you shouldn't really leave it alone past 3 weeks or so because the chance of an infection gets higher. I feel kinda mad at my body that it never seems to get the memo.

Well, at my appointment earlier this week the u/s still showed an empty sac that grew larger. I have had no spotting or cramping at all for over a week. My doctor wants me to do the D & C on Monday because its been almost 4 weeks and my body is not expelling anything, and with the Holidays approaching, she said I don't wanna be stuck in some emergency situation over Christmas. Still hoping it will happen on its own over the weekend. Wish me luck, ladies. If anyone knows of any way to speed up a natural miscarriage, please share.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm worried that I have a blighted ovum too as I am 5 weeks pregnant but I don't feel pregnant, my boobs are just the same as normal, no tenderness or swelling, I have no sickness, I have no headaches or anything. I just feel exhausted. I Googled last night and it came up blighted ovum. Can you tell me what your first symptoms were to say you had a blighted ovum? Did your pregnancy tests get darker? Was there bleeding or pain? Sorry for all the questions but I just can't find a definite answer to whether it's happening to me and my scan isn't for another 6-7 weeks. With my first pregnancy I didn't have symptoms and I bled, my second pregnancy I had morning sickness, sore boobs and the rest, with my third I had all the symptoms but I just don't feel anything this time 😢

I don't think not having symptoms necessarily has anything to do with a blighted ovum. You might possibly have a chemical pregnancy where you start bleeding soon after a bfp. A blighted ovum is where the sac develops but there's no baby. With mine, I had symptoms and my lines darkened as normal. I had no bleeding until 11 weeks. I've also had a normal pregnancy that had no symptoms so I definitely wouldn't judge a pregnancy by symptoms alone.

Thank you so much and I'm very sorry for your losses. My situation is so similar to yours. It's been over a week since the discovery of the blighted ovum and things are not progressing. Still only very light spotting and no pain or cramps. I will be 9 weeks on Friday. So it could be another week or two before the natural miscarriage happens. Some days I forget I was pregnant at all and other days I'm terrified it might happen at work. At least it's a bit comforting to know it wasn't terribly bad for you-hoping for the same and wishing you and all the helpful ladies on here the best of luck and only good pregnancy experiences. 🤗

Honey my 1st pregnancy was a blighted ovum and started bleeding 10 weeks 4 days 2 days after I expelled everything. Highly recommend letting your body do it by itself. My second pregnancy I lost twins at 7 weeks started bleeding at 12 -13 weeks. It took 2 hours both times.

So sorry lovely. Sending you lots of love xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"