blocked tear duct..

nataliecn

Mommy to Grady and WTT!
Reaction score
anyone dealt with this before? and have any suggestions as to what i can do to help it !?

Valerie had one of these when she was born and it lasted through the first month. Our doctor told us to rub the inner part of the eye (corner) to massage the tear duct. This helps with clearing it up. He also gave us a prescription for eye drops to use once a day. Her duct cleared up right away once we started doing those things. It won't last forever and if it does, they have a procedure out now that can clear it up. Obviously they can't do that until babies are at least a year or older. Try those things and hopefully they help some! :)

LeeAnne has this..and its kinda gross tbh..her eyes get sooo goopy! It's been like this for 6 weeks now! The doctor said to just keep wiping it away with cooled boiled water and keep it clean as often as you can! LeeAnne's is REALLY bad, her eyes get crusted over at night!

Helena had this. I used a Q-tip or a wet baby facecloth and just kept wiping it and massaging it with the Q-tip. Finally went away after what seemed like forever.

Kaya had this and was prescribed antibiotics, it cleared up in three days.

Poppy had trouble with a weepy eye for months and everytime I asked the doctor he said to massage the inner bit of her eye and to wipe with cool boiled water. Also it can help to squirt some breast milk in there. They did a swab on her eye and it was negative but it went on for so long and was looking so red and sore that they eventually gave us antibiotic drops and then in cleared up straight away. I wish we'd demanded them sooner TBH x

Thanks girls!
Will definitely try all that - and will make sure I say something at his next appointment if it hasn't improved!

I mentioned this at my appointment.. nurse swabbed it and had it tested to make sure it was not an infection, but said that clogged tear ducts are really common because the tear ducts haven't matured. Like the rest said, pretty much all you can do is keep it clean and try massaging the inner corner! You have to watch for if the goop is changing colours, his eyes become puffy and red, or the whites of his eyes become reddened - my nurse practitioner said to give her a call if I noticed any of that :)

Some days are awful for Elyse and others her eye is perfectly clear and fine. I feel so bad when it gets so bad her eye is shut stuck til I clean it :( Poor baby!!

Cool boiled water here. Soon goes away.

As all the ladies have already said most things that will help. I will add tho that if things are not improving make sure u keep going back to your doctors as my son had a totally blocked tear duct which needed operated on at 4 weeks as he didnt improve at all. The local doctors kept telling me to massage it and gave him eye drops after eye drops. In the end he was admitted to hospital on iv antibiotics for a week and that still didnt clear the infection. Come the end they had no choice but to operate under general and clear the tear duct with a little tube. Since his op he was always prone to getting sticky eyes for nearly 2 years after but now he is nearly 5 and no longer suffers with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->