Blood clot scare

prettybirdy27

Reaction score
Boy tonight was a scary night. I have a genetic blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden - that combined with pregnancy makes me much higher risk to have a blood clot, so my doctor has me on baby aspirin and has me keeping an eye out for blood clot signs.

Well today my right leg swelled up like a balloon, and I got a dime sized area of pain that wouldn't go away in my calf. I called my doctor's office but my doctor wasn't available, so they took a message.

Shortly later I got a panicked call from the clinic - they said I need an emergency ultrasound on my leg to look for blood clots, and if I'm not able to get to the clinic within half an hour, I have to go to the emergency room to get it done. Luckily I was close enough where my husband and I were able to get to the clinic on time.

My doctor had left by that time, so I got to see the after hours doctor. He was a very depressing guy and sat there talking about how it probably is a clot and how I am at a really high risk for a pulmonary embolism, and I'll have to be on blood thinner injections to the stomach twice a day for "a very very long time." Finally Doctor Depressing left and we were left to wait over an hour for the ultrasound.

We finally got the ultrasound done on my legs, and the ultrasound tech was very bubbly and nice...until she got to the part of my leg where I was feeling the pain. Her face fell and she turned the monitor away from us. My husband and I were both pretty convinced that meant she saw something. We were told we aren't allowed to leave until Doctor Depressing was able to review the results, but that if there is a clot, I will have to go to the emergency room immediately and be taught how to start the blood thinner injections.

After who knows how long of waiting for Doctor Depressing to review the results, he finally came back - all clear! No clots! Just one terribly stressful evening.

I'm so glad that there was no clot, but I'm a little nervous about the unexplained swelling and pain, especially since the swelling is just in one leg. Now I'm ready to just curl up in my pajamas and try to unwind from all the stress.

So scary! Wow, what poor bedside manner from dr. Depressing. :(

If you have a clotting disorder like thrombaphillia they really should have you on heprin.... like me :thumbup: If i were you i would ask for it, its a small injection in the tummy or thigh everyday, you do it yourself, it will break down any clots that form, and prevent them forming, much like warfrin.

I have two blood clotting issues - factor v Leiden and prothrombin. I have to inject myself daily with fragmin to prevent clotting. I know it is really scary and worrisome but I just wanted you to know that you certainly aren't alone. X

I have two blood clotting issues - factor v Leiden and prothrombin. I have to inject myself daily with fragmin to prevent clotting. I know it is really scary and worrisome but I just wanted you to know that you certainly aren't alone. X

And the injections are not that bad xxxx

I have APS which is a blood clotting disorder and I also inject fragmin daily. I do it in my thigh and it really isn't so bad :)

Thanks everyone! I have Factor V Leiden, but I am only heterozygous, so my doctor has me on baby aspirin. However I do know they are putting me on lovenox injections for six weeks after the birth, and any subsequent births or surgeries I have in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->