Blood group - O Rhesus Negative

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Embovstar, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Embovstar

Embovstar Mummy to Isaac 23.04.10

Hi

I had my anomoly scan and antenatal the other day and was told by consultant that I am o rhesus negative.

Basically this means that I'll have to have an injection at 28 and 34 weeks and then again after Bean has been born. This is to stop my body building antibodies that could attack any future babys should they be o positive.

They will also take blood from Beans Umbilical cord to test immediately.

Does anyone else have this and been given the Anti D injection???

Are there any side effects and should I worry during this pregnancy??

Cheers ladies

Nicola xx

2. jaybee

jaybee Mum to Tobias & Alexander

Hi Nicola..

Havn't got any advice i'm afraid... i'm the other way ( ithink...going to check my notes now!) but didn;t want to read and run.

I'm sure everything will be just fine though.

ju
    xx

3. jaybee

jaybee Mum to Tobias & Alexander

4. rachlouise25

rachlouise25 mum of 3 xxx

hi there hun im also o rehsus negative is this your first baby ?

if so then they dont usually give anti d injection as baby is safe as your first pregnancy

however if this baby is your 2nd or more then you will have to have the injection like u said at 28wks then again at 34 then after baby is born

on my first baby i didnt have injection only after my baby was born ,my second baby i had frquent injections because i had problems on him i must have had at least 20 during that pregnancy ,there are no side effects as i know i was ok with all my injections ....

you are right tho as long as your pregnancy is going well then u will only need the 3 injections u mentioned hope this has helped u xxxxxxxxxxx

5. Embovstar

thanks for the replies and link Ju..

yes rachlouise, this is our first baby. My first injection is already booked and splashed across my maternity notes is ANTI-D...I guess its a preventative measure for when giving birth???....

I've just read a good post in first tri about it too.

Nice to meet another 0 rh neg and also, my sister is called Rachael Louise which I thought I'd mention ;)

Nicola xx

6. rachlouise25

rachlouise25 mum of 3 xxx

glad you have read up on it hun ...

it seems alot at first to take in when they tell u about your blood group .....

awwwwwwwwwwww bless hun its a cool name well i like my name anyway lol:thumbup:

good luck on your pregnancy and a happy 9 months hun xxxxxxxxxx

7. curlykate

curlykate Devin's Mommy

I'm O negative as well, and will be getting the first shot in just over a week.
    There are no complications, as far as I know. My sister had the shots with her LO, and everything turned out fine.

8. Embovstar

Thanks Curlykate! Thats good to hear. Good luck with your injection....apparently we get to get our asses out :haha: No shame eh!

Nicola xx

9. bky

bky :(

I told them I was O neg when I had my D&C for my mc, but my OH is also O neg...so they didn't give me a shot. I told them they could if they liked, but they didn't.:shrug:
    It's all over my notes that OH is O neg so they see I am and then they look a bit further and decide not to give me a shot. I don't think that's necessarily usual though.

10. loopy_lou

loopy_lou Well-Known Member

yes i was in the same boat and was scheduled to have it but as my husband is negative as well (hes a blood donor so i brought his card in with me which shows his blood group) they said i did not need it.

So do you know what blood group the babies father is?

11. malpal

malpal Mummy to 3 girlies!!!

I'm a- and having on my second pregnancy. Was given an anti-d injection at 28 weeks and then after birth with my daughter. Her blood group was 0+ so the anti-d was definately needed for me.
    I had no side effects at all other than a sore bum! I believe some do get the jab in the arm but mine was in the bum!
    It's actually more common than people think so don't worry hun xx

12. Embovstar

Sadly we don't know what my husband is...I said to him that he should quickly regsiter now to be a donor just to find out, or quickly have an operation lol

I always thought that a "full" blood count would mean you could know your blood group...silly me!!

Thanks for the replies x

Nicola xx

13. Embovstar

Thank you Malpal, thats vey helpful x Also congrats on your twins :D

Nicola xx

14. ilovecocopops

ilovecocopops Well-Known Member

Im A- too. I dont think its really anything to worry about. Just you need to have the injection if you have any bleeding or injury to your tummy. (As well as the usual ones) x

15. jk28

jk28 Well-Known Member

I've had this once after my mc, although did tell them I wouldn't need it as DH is also A Neg, but had no proof! It was a little stingy, but fine. As you said, it's very important to have it if your OH has a pos blood group, as your baby could also be pos & then your body builds up antibodies & this can be harmful for your next preg. It's also important to be on your notes, so the midwife knows to take cord bloods from your baby at delivery & blood from yourself to get babies blood group, (sorry ex midwife here)!

Don't worry though, it's for prevention.

Take care
    Jayne x

16. sarah0108

sarah0108 Well-Known Member

i have this hun and in my last pregnancy i had the injection in my leg at 28w and then after she was born :) x

17. xminimotox

xminimotox Mum of Jack <3

Im also O negative, however my midwife told me that instead of having 2 jags I will only get 1 then 1 after baby is born - Apparently After 1st Oct this year they decided on just the 1 jag whilst pregnant, think its a higher dose? Not too sure I just know I have to have a jag and carry a little green card with me everywhere. x

18. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

My mum is O negative and had to have the injection when I was born (dunno if it's changed much since then!) and it was pretty routine. I'm A+... It's amazing how many people don't know their blood type until they're preg or something, DH doesn't know his! :dohh:

xx

19. curlykate

curlykate Devin's Mommy

My SO doesn't know his blood type either...had to ask his mother who said he's A+. His mother is a nurse, so she knows her whole family's blood types!

20. janet

janet Well-Known Member

Im b neg, i had a bleed at 5 months with my 1st so had the anti d then and also after he was born, and ive had the injection after the birth of my other 3 as well, the injection was always in my bum cheek lol