Blood in vomit

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Jo20072007, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Jo20072007

Jo20072007 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies I was just wondering if anyone else has thrown up blood when being sick?
    I have had nausea but not actually been sick until now and there was blood in it. Should I be worried?

2. peacelikeariv

peacelikeariv BFP with #1

Didn't want to R&R but I would call my doc immediately

3. MagicalLeigh

MagicalLeigh Shanda - ttc #4

I get blood in my vomit almost everytime I throw up (not pregnant also). I haven't liked this pregnancy knock on wood! I wouldn't think it's a big deal as long as it's just a small amount. Hopefully you get better answers :)

4. MagicalLeigh

MagicalLeigh Shanda - ttc #4

I get blood in my vomit almost everytime I throw up (not pregnant also). I haven't puked this pregnancy knock on wood! I wouldn't think it's a big deal as long as it's just a small amount. Hopefully you get better answers :)

5. jenmcn1

jenmcn1 Expecting baby #4:)

Consult your doctor. Blood in vomit is not normal. I had blood in my vomit years ago when I had a bleeding stomach ulcer. Get it checked to be safe! GL xx

6. petitpas

petitpas ......

Definitely worth telling your doctor about!

7. TigerGalLE

TigerGalLE It's a BOY!

How much blood? Did you throw up anything that looked like old coffee grounds?

8. Jaylynne

Jaylynne Well-Known Member

I've had blood in vomit too. It was actually from throwing up rather intensely and I had irritated my throat. So it was blood from my throat not my stomach. If it's not huge amounts of blood or clots, it's most likely the same scenario for you. Id call your doctor if concerned or it keeps progressing.

9. lily2614

lily2614 Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant with my son I started throwing up blood because I was throwing up so much. They put me in the hospital for observation and fluids. I was REALLY sick for 20 weeks and didn't ever think I was going to get over the morning sickness. You need to call the doctor.

10. steph.

steph. Two little girls!

Hi hun, as long as its not a huge amount its fine. It can be alarming bust most of the time its benign, due to throwing up violently and irritating the throat as pp said.

I'm a dr in er and see a lot of people coming in because they freak out when they see the blood. We usually put a drip in them and give them an anta-acid (PPI) IV, just to make them feel better but they dont really need it. And if its a lot of blood, or something that happens all the time we reccomend they have an upper GI endoscopy, but I dont think you'd want to go through that while you are pregnant.

11. Jo20072007

Jo20072007 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your replies ladies. I have been given tablets to stop the nausea and sickness but they haven't worked yet. They weren't too concerned about the blood unless it gets worse xx

12. stellargaze

stellargaze Well-Known Member

Me-- last night. I started a similar thread this morning. Spoke to my obgyn and he told me to take zantac. Spoke to my gp also and she said to take the anti-nausea meds. But I throw up every night, so this was kind of scary. THey say if its just a teaspoon or two of bright red blood, then probably ok.