Blood pressure 144/106 ?? Is this really high?? Update page 3

Kase83

Reaction score
So I was at the doctors today with my fiancé while we got our whopping cough vaccination and my doc thought she should check my blood pressure, I told her it's never been over 115/70 and gloated about how perfect it's been all pregnancy and then it read 144/106 then she waited 20 minutes did it again and it came back 146/101. She told me to go straight to birthing suites( hospital) and see my private ob but he wasn't available the nurses ran some bloods and retested me it had come down 144/91 so they said I was fine to go. I am just a bit worried as iv never had high blood pressure ever and my doc seemed quite concerned only for the nurses at the hospital to pretty much say it's not a big deal. Just after some of your thoughts and if anyone thinks this is high or normal or what your experiences have been sorry I'm prob just stressing out a bit!! :wacko:

It certainly sounds like a big jump from your usual. Did they take urine as well? I would go see someone in a day or two and have it checked again. If it's up around 140/100 then it may require some meds to bring it down - watch out for swelling (not normal pregnancy swelling but facial/hand swelling that increases almost overnight and doesn't go away with rest), any upper right quadrant pain and visual disturbances/headaches. Lots of people's BP rises in late pregnancy but you can get super sick really quick. There may be talk of induction very soon as you are term and with high BP, your condition can change in a matter of hours. Anything in 140/90s is tolerated and some Drs medicate for it. My bp sits in the 140/90s but I'm on meds and it keeps creeping up. I had high BP since 22 weeks this time around and preeclampsia twice before. I see an OB monthly, now fortnightly and my MW weekly to keep an eye on it.

its about the 106... then 101.... anything over 90 should just be checked out do you have swelling?
if youve seen the MW- Nurse.... and theyve done bloods and checked it an said all ok,, they know best xx

if its gone down it might be just a lil stress or did u walk a while?

did they take your blood to check for pre-eclampsia? I had really high BP during labour (no idea if it was a few days prior too it too as it never got checked) and it went away straight after delivery. No Pre-E just how my body reacted to the stress of labour :shrug:

They did my urine at the doctors surgery and it came back with slight trace of protein but I'm guessing the bloods at the hospital must have been fine for them to let me go. I do have swelling and a really purple colour in my feet that I have never noticed till today but goes down when my feet are up high. I see my ob to tomorrow and if it's still high I think I may just request an induction, I'm so stressed about it,this is our little ivf baby after 2 years of ttc I had a big bleed at 17 weeks with placenta previa and bled till 24 weeks on bed rest but since then everything has been perfect I don't want to take risks with high blood pressure this close to the end, Im pretty sure he will give me one if I ask, what do you think? Would you do that too? Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it xx

i would wait and see what he recommends. I wouldnt induce unless it was absolutely necessary.

Baby deacon my docs appt was first thing in the morning, all I had done was get up shower and drive 5 minutes to the surgery so no real reason for it to be high.

oo hun, that is high, if mine went that high they would keep me in for a few days monitoring as I had bad pre-eclampsia the first time. When is your next appt ?

they say its high if the bottom number is more than 90 xx

Jadesh my next appt with my ob is tomorrow morning, if it is high again I'm thinking of just requesting an induction, thoughts?

That is high yes, I was in hospital from Thursday to Saturday with blood pressure ranging from 150/100 to 168/111 and I'm now on tablets to control it. I did have protein too but that seems to have disappeared and I'm allowed home. There was talk of induction but now my bp is stabilised I'm fine so far to go natural. I really really don't want an induction so I'm hoping I can hold off being induced. Hope they can sort you out and keep monitoring you, not long now! x

Mine is usually only 100/60 if you are in doubt go with what your heart/ gut feeling is!! Its generally right! If you want to get checked again later do, the midwives and docs are there to do a job.this is your baby and your body, it's supposed to be a nice happy time, don't let it get stressful for you!
:hugs:

It's high, but try to relax, stay in bed and get lots of rest...No need to get your pressure up anymore than what it is. GL dear.

I think it is considered a problem if the bottom number is about 20 more than it started. Mine last time was 100/60 at my first appointment and got up to 120/85 by the end of pregnancy. I ended up being induced at 40 weeks for "mild PE" but looking back it probably wasn't required.

BP normally goes up towards the end of pregnancy as you have so much more blood volume to push around the body. If you don't have any other signs of PE I would be hesitant about being induced. I had some protein traces right at the end but my midwife this time tells me that can even be normal right at the end.

I think it is a decision you and your Doc need to make re induction. Having been through PE twice before I understand that urge just to get the baby out and not to have to worry about the harm that could come of it to baby. I had my first at 35 weeks and he did just fine. In saying that, inductions come with a set of risks also and so it is a balanced decision that needs making. Drs in the US it seems take a more proactive approach to prevention of illness and progression of the disease and are likely to induce or section. Drs elsewhere it seems take more of a conservative 'watch and wait' stance. Both have their merits and I think you can only make that decision with the Dr and all the facts pertaining to your specific case. Keep us posted on how it goes : )

Thanks so much for your advice I appreciated it.

Jadesh my next appt with my ob is tomorrow morning, if it is high again I'm thinking of just requesting an induction, thoughts?

I don't see the harm in requesting a induction hun, if it is better for mother and baby in the long run then go for it xxx

As others have said it's the bottom number that's worrisome. With my first pregnancy mine went up when I was at work - I felt dizzy so we checked it (I was a nurses assistant), and it was 198/110. I was admitted straight to the hospital ... unfortunatley I had to be put on meds and have non stress tests two times a week because mine didn't go down. But seeing that you are full term, I think if they are concerned or any labs come back they will probably induce you soon, otherwise if it is down and results come back fine it might have just been a fluke as well. Hope all goes well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"