Blood pressure and Weight check up?

Megandelv88

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a new mom to be. First time expecting.

Finding a Dr was tough. Ive always been in and out of insurance until this job Ive recently been at for a decent amount of time. So I just recently chose my ob-gyn. I looked at reviews and I went to the office and thought everyone was really nice.

However, Im almost 12 weeks now and my OB-gyn has yet to check my blood pressure or my weight. Of course I didn't think much of it at first but my mom and sister are telling me its a big deal. I'm not sure if there is a 'too early' point for them or if I should be making a big deal out of this. I've been there twice now, besides my first appointment where I just had blood work done and signed up as a patient.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or if it's normal? I went on Wednesday but didn't see the doctor. I made a mention to the receptionist that I had yet to be weighed and have my blood pressure checked. She made it seem like it wasn't a big deal unless we knew something was already wrong or needed to have an eye kept on it. She told me it would happen from here on out. Did I just happen to ask at the right time that now it will be checked at every appointment? Or did they mess up and they are reassuring me it will get done?:wacko:

I see the dr on Tuesday and I plan to make another mention of it. But Im not one to tell the Dr what to do. I believe they should know and do the right thing.

my dr checks blood pressure, weight and tests a urine sample for protein at every OB appointment. I don't think ive ever gone to a drs and not had them to weight and BP... if it makes you uncomfortable maybe call another office and see what they do to ease your mind?

My OB checked my weight and bp every appt and checked my urine (and I was high risk and had appts every single week and they still checked all those things every single week)

I do think it's odd. I mean, every time I go to the doctor for anything at all, the first things they do are bp and weight.

I would agree with PP's, I think it's really odd. Every Dr. appointment I've been to, ob or otherwise, they've always checked my weight, pulse and BP.

Weight and bp is checked from day 1 usually for baseline comparison. I would say your dr should be doing weight to see if you are on track etc. For eg: I had HG in my first trimester and was loosing weight instead of gaining so my dr would monitor that with weight checks. Bp is less important that early on but still would be done to know your Baseline.

Thanks everyone. I thought it was odd too and expected it to be checked since day 1. It also makes me slightly nervous because my sister had a baby last year and developed pre-eclempsia. So even though it may not be the same for me, it still worries me. Regardless, I would have to choose a new doctor who would have to start all over again anyway.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks everyone. I thought it was odd too and expected it to be checked since day 1. It also makes me slightly nervous because my sister had a baby last year and developed pre-eclempsia. So even though it may not be the same for me, it still worries me. Regardless, I would have to choose a new doctor who would have to start all over again anyway.

Not sure what to do.

I know it's time consuming and annoying, but I would take the time now to find a new doctor. Is there anyone you know who could give you a recommendation?

I'd just ask your dr why they're not checking. They might wait until second tri to start checking. Weight I don't think is a big deal, but generally the further along you are they check your bp and urine.

They made it seem like it was too early. Maybe that's what they are going for. I'm hoping when I go this evening, they check it and I don't have to worry about confronting my Dr. But what Im reading around now, is that the my blood pressure is going to be lower because more blood is flowing to the baby and less blood flowing back to me. So even if they begin now, they won't know what my baseline was 4 weeks ago.

I know it's time consuming and annoying, but I would take the time now to find a new doctor. Is there anyone you know who could give you a recommendation?
I don't really know anyone. I had a really great OB-gyn when I had a different insurance. Unfortunately, they don't accept what I have now.

I read reviews and everything on this office and so many people had great reviews. I dont know if I'm just worrying myself or if its a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->