• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Blood Results back!

katieandbump

Reaction score
So i had my bloods taken at the 16 week midwife appointment for the testing of down syndrome and spinal ambifida and the nervous 2 week wait is finally up. The results wouldn't have made any difference either way but we wanted them done and thought the test wasn't pointless but more a what if so we can be prepared on the chances...

Anyway the spinal ambifida results came back as really low and no further tests need to be done....

and..

The down syndrome percent was 1:4800... so pleased as the midwife said if it's 1:250 then they'd do more tests, but i wouldn't have let them do the amnio test anyway with the risks so i think we're safely in the low category lol.

I know you never know how baby is gna be once its born but i'm so pleased with the results been feeling rly protective about little bump lately and knowing if s/he is ok.... Now thats that waiting over, now just 2 weeks till we find out gender roll on 2 weeks!!!!! waaa hoooo :happydance:

xxxx

Fanx :) Does anyone know what they test?? Its got me thinking.... is it blood, or DNA is it based on you and your chances.. so will it be the same next time i have a test is it my chances of having a down syndrome baby or is it based on the blood readings of the pregnancy eg the hormones in the blood etc so the babies chance rather than mine? If that makes sense? xxx

Just wanted to say really pleased your news is good, sorry i have no idea what it is they test exactly, but also interested to know.

Katie, thats great news hun :hugs:
They test your blood for DNA and some other stuff (google will tell you no doubt!) :lol:
And then sugar in your urine as I think this is more apparant in Downs syndrome baby xx

Congratulations hun!! Two weeks until gender scan! Mine is is two weeks but Im not finding out, i think you'll have a boy!

They have 3 test areas, your background (i.e. age, weight, smoking), your blood (Maternal serum Free Beta-hCG and Serum PAPP-A)and the ultrasound (nuchal translucency and crown to rump length) I only know this because i have the form the midwife gets lol They put all the results in a computer and make your adjusted risk (taking all three into consideration).

My results were for:

Trisomy 21 (Downs Syndrome) - 1:12582 (cut off is 1:250)
Trisomy 13/18 (Spina Bifida etc) - 1:151951 (cut off is 1:100)

So not at increased risk.

Yay!

Wow girls Both katies, you have very low risk. I have mine on Thurs - wish me luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"