Blood Test for DS! Help required!!!!!!!1

disdil4u

Reaction score
Hello All
My name is Ami and this is my first post to this forum.

I am 19 week pregnant and last week I have received my blood test result for D/S which came out 1:199.

Also I have completed my second scan yesterday which was all fine.

Now I am in confusion whether to go for amnio or not? I am too worried about my baby.

Advice needed from all as I need to make decision by Monday.

Many Thanks
Ami

totally up to you hun.

the way i saw it when asked about having the inital blood test was that even if the results were the high risk i still wouldnt have the amino as i would never want to risk loosing LO.

sorry i cant be much help. :hugs:

Sorry huni i dont have a clue, but didnt want to read and run! I personally have decided that no matter what the results are i wont have the amnio as it wouldnt matter now! but thats very much a personal decision. Good luck in whatever you decide! xx

How old are you ? are you classed at risk ? You see the test you have just had came back high risk but that isnt a conclusive test ....My friend had the anmio and unforntantly MC :cry: To get a letter 3 days later sayying her baby was healthy ....the way my mw put it to me is if your baby as DS would you abort ? if the answer is no then plz dont risk the anmio ....but if u would end the pregnancy then you need the test ...these are only my opinions :hugs:

the way my mw put it to me is if your baby as DS would you abort ? if the answer is no then plz dont risk the anmio ....but if u would end the pregnancy then you need the test ...these are only my opinions :hugs:

I agreee with this,:hug:

Ami - it's kind of hard for me to give advice about stuff like that.
I really really hate the triple screen blood test. It just seems to cause either undue worry or provides a false sense of security. 1 in 199 simply means that out of 199 babies that had the same results as you - only 1 had something wrong. That's less that 1/2% but the number looks a lot scarier than that. At the same time there are people who have had results of 1 in 4,000 and have had a baby with down's syndrome and were completely unprepared for it because the numbers came back so highly in their favor. In that way an amnio is a good idea because you know if something is wrong and exactly what the problem is so you can make all the necessary preparation. However, there are risks associated with the procedure including miscarriage. The risk is extremely extremely small but so is the risk that there is something wrong with your baby. Weigh the potential risks against the benefits. If you feel the risks are too great for the benefits then don't have it but if the benefits do outweight the risks then get the procedure.

the way my mw put it to me is if your baby as DS would you abort ? if the answer is no then plz dont risk the anmio ....but if u would end the pregnancy then you need the test ...these are only my opinions :hugs:

I'm going to provide a disagreement. Abortion isn't the only reason to decide whether or not to have an amnio done. A baby with down's syndrome requires a different type of care than a "normal" baby. Knowing definitively whether or not your baby is going to require extra care will allow you to make lifestyle changes/choices now before you have the added pressures of dealing with a newborn. For instance, if you live a long way from family and are going to want their support it will take time to either move to them or have someone moe to you. If you plan on quitting work permanently to care for your baby then income arrangements need to be made.

I'm going to provide a disagreement. Abortion isn't the only reason to decide whether or not to have an amnio done. A baby with down's syndrome requires a different type of care than a "normal" baby. Knowing definitively whether or not your baby is going to require extra care will allow you to make lifestyle changes/choices now before you have the added pressures of dealing with a newborn. For instance, if you live a long way from family and are going to want their support it will take time to either move to them or have someone moe to you. If you plan on quitting work permanently to care for your baby then income arrangements need to be made.

I know what u are sayying but the risk of MC with an anmio is why i say this imagine having it then mc then finding out your baby was healthy :( I did say this was only may opinion which is why put any baby u are gunna keep anyway under any risk :hugs:

I think that people take tests for lots of reasons, I chose not to even have the blood test because I would have my son whatever,and will have to make all my changes if he was born with DS,but know some people couldnt wait and are in different positions to myself. yes I can understand that some people prefer to have these test and know for sure and everyone has different reasons ect...

I think that you need to decide yourself wether to have the amino,and look at all the risks if you have it and also if you dont. :hugs:

Serina - On a personal note I completely agree with you I just wanted to provide an opposite side. I didn't even have the triple screen done because I wanted to live out my pregnancy in blissful ignorance. I acknowledged that not all babies are perfect, what I would have to do if mine wasn't, and went on from there. Most babies are born perfectly healthy or pretty darn close so the excess worry just wasn't worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"