Blood Tests: Low Ferritin

Sianiparni

Reaction score
I just had my blood results in the post - and it took a while between myself and google to figure out what they even meant. I haven't heard from the midwife, but I can see that my ferritin (iron) is low at 11. Will the midwife get in touch with me about this? Is this harmful to the baby?

There is a scribble on the slip saying "MW informed" - or at least I think that's what it says....

Anyone else had similar? The rest looks ok... or at least there aren't any scribbles!

Thanks all x

don't know a thing about ferritin levels, but low iron is very common in pregnancy. If it's too low, the midwife will give you iron supplements. Otherwise, spinach and steak are both good sources to boost it naturally. You should find that once they increase your iron levels, you'll have a bit more energy (and black poop if taking the supplements).

It just means you're anaemic (lack of white blood cells). Book an appointment with any MW or your GP and take the letter. You'll be prescribed some iron tablets.

I was on Ferrous Sulphate 14-18 weeks, then Ferrous Fumarate from 18-to present, as it's a higher dosage.

Be prepared for constipation x

personally i wouldnt take the iron tablets, ive had low iron before and i made sure that my diet was high iron, so fortified cerials for breakfast (cornflakes) and instead of desserts, leafy greens with every meal and lots of red meat, all washed down with orange juice as that helps iron in to the bloodstream. even a sneaky half guiness is good as it has lots of iron in.

My level was 23 which out of 300 I presumed was low but MW told me it has to be below 10 before she'd consider giving me iron tablets! I'm tired all the time which they say is a sign iron is low x

really? mine is 12 and my mw told me thats brilliant lol maybe theres more than one way of measuring it

personally i wouldnt take the iron tablets, ive had low iron before and i made sure that my diet was high iron, so fortified cerials for breakfast (cornflakes) and instead of desserts, leafy greens with every meal and lots of red meat, all washed down with orange juice as that helps iron in to the bloodstream. even a sneaky half guiness is good as it has lots of iron in.

I need mine. I suffer from severe nosebleeds if I don't take them. I give myself 2 days a week without just so I can give my bowels a break, and loosen them. Plus I start napping 2-3 times throughout the day.

The normal amount - or concentration - of haemoglobin is:

at least 13g/dl (13 grams of haemoglobin per decilitre of blood - a decilitre is 100ml) for men
at least 11.5g/dl for women
at least 11g/dl for pregnant women

below 11g/dl of hb then your MW or GP need to be talking to you about your diet sources of iron and if it goes below 10.5 then they will likely consider supplements of iron for you.

hb levels are different to Ferritin levels though the Serum ferritin levels are the reading of your body's stores of Iron and if they get low they take a much longer time to build up.

currently although I am IDA and my HB is low ( iron deficiant anemic ) then my MW isnt worried as my ferritin levels are doing fine though its likely they will dip as i get further into this pregnancy and even with supplements in my last pregnancy they didnt improve so if they did drop then id likely end up with a blood transfusion to replenish them rather than being prescribed iron as theres only so much iron your body can absorb daily through food and supplement sources and i was taking the maximum dose all through the last 14 wks of my last pregnancy but still ended up with acute IDA post birth requiring a transfusion.

I need mine. I suffer from severe nosebleeds if I don't take them. I give myself 2 days a week without just so I can give my bowels a break, and loosen them. Plus I start napping 2-3 times throughout the day.
get some kiwifruit and purree it up with orange or apple juice as a drink and limit your caffinne intake and that will improve how your body absorbs the iron and you wont get bunged up with it theres also other supplements other than tablets that dont get you bunged up as much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->