Blood tests

sunnybabe

Mummy to two naughty cats
Reaction score
Hi

When I went to see my doctor to tell her that I was pregnant she simply took my word for it.

Lots of people on here mention about getting blood tests to confirm their pregnancy and check their levels. Did your doctors just offer this? Do you need to ask them to do this? Does the doctor do this or the nurse? Do you have to provide more than one test?

Sorry for all the questions but at the moment im a tad confused. However I know I would quite like that would offer me a bit of reassurance that everything is going how it should.

Thanks xx

My doctor told me that they just take your word for it becasue the home pregnancy tests are just as accurate as the ones they use in the surgery. It is not routine to offer blood tests to confirm pregnancy, my doctos basically said the midwife would be in touch when I was 10 weeks and that's it until then. It is not a nice feeling to be left in limbo but that is how it seems to be until 10 weeks. I know there are some people who have had earlier appointments but I think this is usually following complications. Congrats on your BFP!

Cat

I had my bloods done because I have had chemicals in the past and I was freaking out. Otherwise don't think it would have been done. Maybe if you ask your dr they would do it... sounds like everyone's dr's are so different. They did 2 tests - 48 hrs apart to see if hcg levels were going up. They also checked my progesterone with the 2nd test which wasnt mentioned the first time- I was assuming they would check it too and they didnt. Hard to feel in limbo - hope all is going well! xx

I only had bloods done because of it being IVF.

I had beta bloods done because our clinic (IVF) need to confirm pregnancy and check on estrogen and progesterone levels too. I've had 2 more betas and have another 1 tomorrow and a 7 week scan coming up too.

I think if you have a history of miscarriage of you got pregnant via AC, then you're monitored a lot more closely.

I just gave a urine sample and about ten minutes later, the docotor told me "congrats!" I gave blood later that day, but for other tests, like anemia, etc.

My doc also took my word for it - she asked how I knew, and I said I took a test. If it was more of a guess based on a missed period, then they would have tested. They diod do bloodwork, but that was for things like the above poster mentioned. Anemia, glucose, etc

My doctor just took my word for it but to be honest my doctor is lovely and knows Im needle phoebic and wouldnt put me through a blood test for no reason.
The 1st blood test I had was my booking bloods at 10 weeks
x

When I initially called and scheduled my appointment to go in and confirm my pregnancy the nurse asked me over the phone if I had taken a test and I said yes I have. She asked how many (I had done 6) and she still insisted I came in to do so. I didn't have to present the test or anything of that sort. I went in, pee'd in a cup, filled out a questionnaire while waiting for my results, was congratulated by my OB, discussed my pregnancy symptoms and previous health record, scheduled a scan, and was sent off with prenatal vitamins and some informative magazines. Your visit may differ from mine because A. I am from the states and B. Every office handles their cases differently. Good luck hun! :)

my doc just said congrats finally ! :lol:
my mw took bloods at 10wk ish, them that have bloods taken for levels etc have usually had mc etc x

Thank you so much for all your replies. It makes me feel better. I think I may ask the nurse about it in a couple of weeks when I go in for another blood pressure check. I have (or previous drs think it is) white coat syndrome and so my bp was something like 168/100 the other day! Which is tad on the high side:cry: So have a feeling they might montior me quite closely for that.

My doctor just did a urine test, she said 'there's not much point in doing this if you've already done a test, but we're supposed to confirm it'. I was so nervous in case she'd say 'you're not pregnant'. When she looked at the results, she didn't even say congratulations, she just said 'that's fine' and gave me all the paperwork and phone numbers for midwife and hospitals. I'm in Ireland so it could be different. I think it seems to be a bit more common to do blood tests in the US and also as other people have said after previous m/c or if you got pregnant by IVF.

They'll probably monitor you closely then..Maybe put you under consultant care? I suffered with hyperemesis and low blood pressure and I had had consultant led care.
x

with all of my pregnancies, they sent me off to get blood work done...to not only to confirm my pregnancy but to check my levels to see how far along i am... I also live in Canada so im not sure how it is anywhere else in the world.

My doctor took my word for it and told me he would refer me to a midwife. Was in and out in 5 minutes.

My doc just took my word for it as well.

I think the midwife will do something to confirm but I don't have that appointment through yet so am also in limbo land at the minute. I've just about convinced myself that I am actually pregnant, but I would like to have the midwife appointment in the diary so I know when it is and it feels like something is happening.....

my doctor would not even see me! just made an appointment for me with the midwife on 13th may! xx

Well I now have an early scan a week tomorrow (at 6wks) as I am having a constant stabbing pain in my right side. It is agony but always there in the same place. The docs just want to check everything is where it should be, esp as Im getting backache as well. Waiting is very difficult thou!!!! But at least I will know if everything is currently alright (fx and everything else also crossed). Esp as aside from those two symptoms I havent really got anything else at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->