• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

blood tests :(

BabyDust2011

mummy to a princess
Reaction score
im so scared of needles and i really dont want to have them done. Ive never had one before and ive heard they hurt, i dont want to talk to oh about it as he will think im being stupid anyway pointless post ladies x

Awww:( I'm sorry that you're scared of them. They really just feel like a strong pinch. It's not too bad, I promise. I close my eyes, lol, and don't look while they're doing it. It only pinches while it's going in (for me), so after a second, then it's fine! I promise you will be okay. Totally understand your fear!

:hugs:

aww thanks for reply hun. Ive always been scared of needles, ive just heard all these storys that they hurt alot that its putting me off having them done xxw

I'd never had one before when I had mine before MMC and I was 38 then! I told the midwife I was scared and she said don't look and to be honest it was more the thought than anything else. I did feel really faint and sick so asked for some water then I felt ok after about 5 minutes. I've had 2 more since and both times I told them I go faint and they let me lie down for it. I was much better then and didn't feel sick at all. Still couldn't be a blood donor though.

I'm not having blood tests this time I don't think, but last time, it was painless when a proper phlebotomist (sp?) took the blood, but hurt when a MW did it. I think it depends on the skill / technique of the person. Maybe tell them in advance about your fear, they may have some suggestions to help you.

I had a severe phobia and had to have councelling yrs ago. My advice is to ask to lie down flat on a bed for them. look away at all times but keep talking to the nurse about anything that helps take your mind off, dont forget to breathe and before you know it it will be over. Also make sure you eat before you go to make sure your blood sugar is up to help stop you feeling faint. But the main thing to say is that they are not PAINFULL just UNCOMPFORTABLE and often you dont even know you had it. Please dont worry!:thumbup:

i deffinitly no where your coming from i am so scared of needles and i have never had my bloods took before and i have my 12 weeks scan on tuesday and she needs to take them! i am so scared!!

i will take your advice and ask to lay down and try to have a bite to eat before :thumbup: im so glad you ladies have said they dont hurt it has put my mind at rest abit but im still really scared haha daft i no xx

i ment to ask aswell when you go for scans do you have to have blood tests then aswell x

take a deep breath before they put a needle in . it helps to overcome the 'pinch' of a needle. Don't worry, it doesn't heart at all. It'll be over in seconds ;)

Unfortunately, it all comes with the territory : ( first one is always the worst-fear of the unknown and all that. But shame in telling them you're nervous. They have that cool numbing gel, that's always helpful : ) xxx

Speaking as someone who was VERY scared of needles due to a bad experience as a child, I can now say that I'm reformed! I had a blood test a few years ago and also have had various jabs over the years, but still felt very apprehensive knowing that having my bloods done was just part and parcel of the experience of being pregnant.

When I was pregnant earlier in the year I had my bloods taken at my first mw appt at the docs, and as I was very nervous I told her this and she was very understanding. She told me to take some deep breaths and look out of the open window and... it didn't hurt a bit! Yes there's a bit of a scratch, but that was all. I was amazed and surprised, and it just went to show how we build these things up in our heads. Then I started to have a mc and had to go to the hospital and have bloods taken on two separate occasions and both times, no problemo. Yes I felt a bit nervous but a few deep breaths and looking at something else and it was fine. I'm genuinely now not worried about having to have bloods taken again - couldn't have imagined saying that a few months ago!

So my advice is stay strong, definitely tell the mw or whoever is taking your bloods that you're scared (so may be best for you to lie down), take some deep breaths and look at something else to distract you - and think of that amazing little bean that's growing inside you, it'll be over before you know it! You'll be fine :) xx

I'm a nurse and I still look away when someone is drawing my blood. I have seen MANY bloody situations, but it is something about my blood that reaks me out. If they are using your left arm just look to the right until you feel them put the bandaid on.

I'm the Biggest baby when it comes to needles, whether it's a shot or getting my blood drawn. I cry Every Single Time. Not sobbing, lol, but tears. I know they it doesn't hurt badly. I know they aren't going to damage me, but I can't get over it. And the sad thing is I have to get stuck all the time!! I'm in the military so there are shots they make us get every year, plus I have hypothyroidism so I have to get my blood drawn 3-4 times a year for that. You'd think I'd be used to it!! I CAN tell you that other than the initial pinch, it really doesn't hurt. It's much bigger in my head then what actually happens, and it's over very quickly!!! Try not to worry about it!

I can't tell you how many times I've had bloodwork done (way too many to count), and I can honestly say every time I still have a bit of fear just before, even though it doesn't hurt much. But to help me get through it i always look away and try to concentrate looking at something else (a picture on the wall, an object, etc.) and I find chatting away with the person doing the shot helps. And then before you even realize it, it's done. The trick is to distract yourself when they're doing it.

You don't have to have blood taken before scans.. AND DONT WORRY. I am the biggest baby when it comes to needles, I literally pass out almost every time. But in the past 2 weeks I've had to get blood taken 5 times.. and I'm becomming a pro! It's not bad, just a pinch.. Don't look.. and if you're feeling anxious, ask to lay down. It will literally be over within 2 seconds. I promise !! Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"