Bloodwork help??

Peanut112

Reaction score
I went for my prenatal bloodwork this morning, but nobody gave me the forewarning that I had to fast for 12 hours before hand.. I ate half a bowl of cereal (mini-wheats) 3ish hours before, because I have to before taking my meds (which I was also unaware I shouldnt have taken)

Yikes. :dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh: Kind of freaking out. Afraid something abnormal will come up and I'll have to explain to my docs that I ate AND took my medication :dohh: So embarassing hahahahha I definitely had a dumbdumb moment.

However I told the lady at the desk that I had eaten 4 hours before and she said it wasn't a big deal.

..... Oh. I was also told that the Rh vaccine doesn't count after a year. Lovely. :dohh:

I have never been told not to eat before the 1st tri bloods? That's kind of bizarre!

I never had to fast for blood work in 1st tri. I think the only time I had to fast was for the glucose test at end of 2nd tri. Like nurse said, I wouldn't worry about it.

Why not ask to have the bloods Redone correctly? And get the true results rather then a skewed result that could impact future treatment. It's super easy to request a second draw and explain you weren't aware. It's likely to check how you tolerate a medication or to see how much of the med is left in your body after its half life. I'd suggest calling your doc office. After all, Canadian health care is free ;)

I didn't have to fast before my 1st trimester blood work and I don't have to before the 2nd either... Interesting. Maybe like pp said it's because of the medication you're taking?

Honestly, I don't recall my doctor saying anything about what to do for bloodwork. Although he made it clear to stay away from raw foods, and for the ultrasound make sure I have a full bladder. He knows about the medication as well and I'm sure he would have said something.. :shrug:

If you lovelies haven't heard of a 1st tri fast before bloodwork then that puts my mind at ease. Now just to wait for Tuesday for the results and see what happens I guess.

I have to always eat and drink lots of water before blood tests because I have crappy veins. The only test I had to fast for was my glucose test which sucks for me when trying to get blood. I don't think eating before would be a problem just for the standard first trimester tests. I had bloods today for my 12 week nuchal ultrasound and again they said to eat and drink lots before coming in

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->