Blw...help!

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
I really want to start BLW...LO seems to prefer feeding himself anyway...but I'm so confused :( I don't have a clue where to start...i've been reading the threads and googling a lot...but just can't get my head around it!

Plus i'm living with my parents at the moment...not ideal...and they keep saying he'll choke etc...which I know isn't nescersarily true..but it's got me worried!!

What kind of things could I try to get started? And is there a certain way to prepare things? Like say I gave him cucumber...what do I do to it?

Sorry if I sound extremely stupid...just can't get my head around this..and people constantly telling me i'm wrong to want to try it doesn't help! Argh!

Thank you :)

I'd seriously reccomend the book by Gill Rapley if you haven't got it already. It'll answer any questions that you could possibly have and you can show it to sceptical grandparents etc as it explains the whole theory and about them "choking".

Definitely get the book hon. Chances of choking are so slim. People often confuse gagging with choking and gagging isn't a problem at all, it just brings the food back to be rechewed if it's too big - actually prevents them choking!

Don't worry about preparation, in the early days we gave fingers of steamed and roast veg and strips of fruit.

Yup, get the book. It will give you a place to start.

Also, read the support thread to get an idea of how the LOs do.

just echo everyone else...def get the book!

i think choking is a common concern but it seems as tho people often get gagging and choking confused...choking is generally silent because LO can't get air where as gagging is coughing, spluttering, retching and sometimes even followed by some sick. It looks like choking but its actually a really important learning curve for babies. gagging helps babies bring back large pieces of food to stop them chocking and it helps them learn how to handle food, what size bits to eat and how to bring the food back up so they wont choke in the future.It explains it much better in the book!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->