blw puking choking drama- feel terrible

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by beatnick, Apr 1, 2011.

1. beatnick

beatnick Well-Known Member

im having a wave of the guilts about something silly.. please can someone try to make me feel a bit better?

this morning i decided to give zakk a bit of crumpet for breakfast. we have shared them before but he took a massive chunk and started gagging and coughing.

i looked in his mouth and he had LOADS in there and then suddenly..PUKE! he threw up properly loads of milk and crumpet and i was so shocked.

then he rolled over and played with some bricks quite happily.

I was horrified! i felt awful like i had made him sooo sick with this crumpet.

i feel so guilty so called my mum and she said it was natures way of stopping him from choking - which would have been far more scary and potentially a hideous situation.

he enjoyed a bowl of cereal and strawberrys after and then chowed loads of milk down and is now having a kip. so he must be fine.

i just feel so guilty.

the guilt in motherhood is horrendous.

:cry:

2. NG09

NG09 Well-Known Member

Aaww hun :hugs:

It gives you such a fright doesn't it. My LO was eating toat and banana the other day, I thught he wa swallowing it, little dd I know he was being a little hamster storing it all in his cheeks then produced a mouthfull of it. Gave me the fright of my life too.

I'm sure he's fine, it's just you that'll be a nervous wreck x

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Guest

Sounds like you're a lot more traumatised by the situation than he is! He's probably forgotten all about it by now :hugs2:

4. beatnick

hehehe ive just read my thread title! you can tell i was freaking out!

yes he seems completely fine and if it was preventing him choking then i would rather he puked.

i just seem to end up feeling soooo guilty when anything bad happens to him!

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Guest

I'd be exactly the same. I fell on the stairs while holding LO when she was really tiny. Basically my foot slipped and I just sat down really hard. She didn't go anywhere & I don't think she even noticed. But I cried with guilt for about 24 hours!!

6. Torz

Torz Mummy to 2 DS & pregnant

I've had this a few times, last night been the worst. Was having spag bol for tea & he started doing that thing where you think they are choking but then been sick. He kept ding it for ages, normally he does it once & is fine but he kept doing it & i shot up out of my chair & was ready for ripping him out of the high chair & putting him over my knees or something. Very scary, he was fine tho, was more shocked because of they way i was.

7. buttonnose82

buttonnose82 Wife & Mummy

glad he is ok :)

you mentioned that after he rolled over & started playing, was he laying down eating? that might have been what cause it maybe?

:hugs:

8. amynorange

amynorange Well-Known Member

Aww hun! It can be scary when LO does that, but he might just feel more comfortable bringing it up and so he does, and it makes him sick too. My LO does that still sometimes, and it is scary but I would rather him bring it up than him not be able to and panic and choke! Mind you every time he does it I hit his back so he does bring it up. :haha: But he's fine and it doesn't put him off eating anything, he's straight back trying it again! :hugs:

9. hajis-sweetie

hajis-sweetie Loving being a mummy!

That gagging reflex stops the choking part, like your mum said (mums are always wise, why am I not wise yet? LOl) It was a good thing and although it must have been V scary, he seems fine!! Don't feel guilty, it happens, xxx

10. beatnick

he was sat up on the floor holding the crumpet next to me not laid down!

he then laid down and carried on playing. like nothing had happened, and i was in bits.

he did that thing where he was looking at me with a "what are you doing" face.

11. buttonnose82

buttonnose82 Wife & Mummy

they have a habit of doing that don't they lol

so glad he is ok, have you read the BLW book? it might give you some confidence incase it happens again :hugs:

12. hattiehippo

hattiehippo Well-Known Member

They do like to scare us don't they!

Only last week Tom stuffed a cheerio in that he'd found under the table and started to choke on it even though he is fine eating them normally. Before I could reach him he was sick but then just carried on like nothing had happened.

Don't feel bad. Being sick made sure your LO didn't actaully choke and it will help him to leaqrn how much to put in his mouth at a time.

13. 08marchbean

08marchbean Well-Known Member

dont feel bad. its a natural reflex that stops them choking and he is just learning what to do with this food in his mouth! it happened to us a few times but never happens now she knows what shes doing. its just a learning curve for them as well as us! :hugs:

14. xemmax

xemmax mummy in love

Oh bless him! Your mum was right, it's good that he threw up! Oliver did that whilst gagging on some broccoli, it's not nice to see but as least their reflex works! Don't feel bad :hugs:

15. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Mummy to 2 girls.

it happens with bella every now & then. i think it looks a lot worse than it is, don't worry :)
    xx