BLW recipes and family meals -- please post yours!

Vickie, tried that out tonight. Otter loved it. I didn't give him the pasta as I don't think he's ready for that. I steamed some carrot and broc (small bits I added to our pasta) and then gave Otter finger sized pieces and a bit of sauce to play with. EGADS what a mess! But he liked it! :thumbup:

https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/IMG_1415.jpg

Oh my Otter, what have you done? Lmao!

Resurrecting!!

Will add a couple of things that have gone over as big hits with Otter:

Side Dish:
Asparagus and Roasted Pepper
Cut Red Pepper (or yellow or orange) in half, clean. Place face down on baking sheet and bake in oven at high temp or broil until roasted (just starting to turn brown on skin). Skin or leave the skins on (I leave on).
Slice and place in bowl.
Boil asparagus spears until tender.
Place in bowl with peppers.
Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Add salt and pepper for adults but not for baby!

Twist: In place of red pepper, use sun dried tomato.

Tuna Melts
Make up tuna salad.
Spoon onto toast or muffin halves
Place slice of cheese over top.
Bake in oven on high temp until cheese is melted and bubbly

Easy marinade for chicken
Find your favorite low salt, oil or vinegar based salad dressing.
Place chicken breasts in ziploc or tupperware.
Pour in salad dressing.
Place in fridge for at least a few hours (overnight even better)
Cook chicken on stove top or grill and use the extra dressing to baste them as the cook to keep them juicy and tender!
It's that easy!

I have used italian dressing, raspberry vinegrate, feta and sun dried tomato vinegrette. This works with just about anything and makes for loads of possible varities.

Then I just cut off a strip or two of the chicken for LO to eat.

Vickie, tried that out tonight. Otter loved it. I didn't give him the pasta as I don't think he's ready for that. I steamed some carrot and broc (small bits I added to our pasta) and then gave Otter finger sized pieces and a bit of sauce to play with. EGADS what a mess! But he liked it! :thumbup:

https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/IMG_1415.jpg

I somehow missed this :dohh: But I'm glad he liked it!!! :mrgreen:

this thread is great so *bump*

does anyone have a chilli recipe? saw people saying their LOs liked it...but think mine is maybe a bit to spicy1!

I have a very simple one that I love (it is my Dad's recipe). I haven't tried it with Otter yet, so don't know how it will go down, but you can control the spiciness really easily. :thumbup:

Although, again, I don't measure things, I do it to taste! :rofl:

2 cans dark red kidney beans (14 oz)
2 cans chili beans (14 oz)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (14 oz)
1 lb ground beef (mince)
1 large onion (sweet is best, but any works)
optional: celery, green/yellow/red pepper
chili powder
sage
celery salt
parsely
optional: basil, oregano

Cook over med heat. Add all 6 cans of beans and tomatoes to large pot. Brown ground beef, add to pot. Chop celery and onion, add to pot. Add any of the optional veg that you have. Mix well. Add spices to taste. Starts with smaller amounts and work your way up until you like the way it tastes. Bring nearly to boil over med or med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer.

It is ready when the onions are nice and cooked. But the longer you let it simmer, the better it will taste. Also, it makes GREAT left overs as it usually tastes even better the next day. Just put it in a container and in the fridge and it will keep for 3-5 days. :thumbup:

I did a really easy dish for LO this week as we were getting take-out and I felt he'd had too many "nibbly" meals and wated him to have a "proper" meal.

Pasta twists, tinned tuna and a triangle of dairylea cheese - mixed together (and makes a surprisingly yummy snack for mummy too!!)

We shall be trying spaghetti carbonara tonight - we'll be using bacon and there's no salt apart from what's in the bacon. And instead of double cream, we've got either single or natural greek yogurt to use. (Got my recipe from a very old cook book of my mums, and they use single cream not double and bacon).

I made some edible (not like last time!) houmous today, Freya likes to dip breadsticks, carrots, cucumber and tomato in. I just made it up, I'm sure there are better recipes out there!

1 tin of chickpeas
1 clove of garlic
sprinkle of chilli powder
2 tomatoes
tiny bit of black pepper
splash of olive oil

Blend all ingredients together, makes enough to last about 5 days for us.

I will be back with some proper recipes!
Thanks for this! Just started browsing the recipes and so pleased to have found a nice easy houmous recipe. It's so hard to find houmous here and I can't understand a lot of ingredients (don't speak or read German) so I'll need to give this a go. :thumbup:

^^ If you can find tahini where you are, you might try adding that for a new twist. It is a common ingredient in most hummus. :thumbup:

TL regarding the asparagus why not roast it with the peppers I love roasted aspargus drizzled with olive oil a little black pepper and some garlic as well.

We shall be trying spaghetti carbonara tonight - we'll be using bacon and there's no salt apart from what's in the bacon. And instead of double cream, we've got either single or natural greek yogurt to use. (Got my recipe from a very old cook book of my mums, and they use single cream not double and bacon).

i make this for harrison and he loves it, i use creme freche instead of cream

does anyone know a aubergine recipe?

i make this for harrison and he loves it, i use creme freche instead of cream

does anyone know a aubergine recipe?

loz - i haven't got a specific aubergine receipe, but i know in restaurants i've had baked aubergine with pasta and a tomato/basil type sauce with melted cheese on top... could either make a sauce, or heinz do a baby tomato/basil cook in sauce :shrug:

This is what we make for ourselves but haven't tweaked or tried on Theakston yet, just thought it gives you something to work from:

Melanzane Parmigiana

Serves: 2
Ingredients

2 Aubergines (depending how hungry you are!)
1 tbsp olive oil
Frylight or 0.5 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cans chopped tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Lemon
Fresh basil
Cheddar Cheese (about 100g) - grated
Parmesan (about 20g) - grated
Pinch of sugar
Salt & Pepper
Method

Put the chopped tomatoes in a pan on medium heat and add 1tbsp oil, the juice of one lemon, the garlic cloves and some torn fresh basil with a pinch of sugar. Cover and simmer for 30mins.

Trim the aubergines and cut lengthways into thick slices. Sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30mins (so do it alongside the sauce for ease).

Preheat the oven to 200 deg celsius/400f/GM6

Then rinse the aubergine slices, drain, and pat dry on paper towels.

Brush the aubergines with oil or frylight on both sides and place on baking tray(s) and roast them in the oven for 10mins on each side. Whilst this is going on, take the lid off your sauce, season it, and allow it to simmer for 20mins (so again you can do this alongside the aubergines).

Then get two individual lasagne dishes and spoon some sauce into the dish. Place a piece of aubergine on top of this, then some grated cheese, then more sauce. Keep layering sauce/aubergine/cheese until you get to the last piece of aubergine which you then just top with some parmesan.

Place in the oven for 30mins or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.

Alternatively, you can use a medium lasagne dish and put both aubergines in it and layer them in whatever way works (e.g. 2 slices alongside each other) and then serve on plates. The thing I love about this dish is that it's easy to make more or less for the number of people and either do in individual dishes, or like a big bake that you can then split between people. You can also easily alter it to your preference. For example, Sam and I have it every Friday night and I do us 3 aubergines and 3 cans of tomatoes instead of 2, and we add more garlic and basil. You can just tweak it to your preference :)

-------------------

I also do stuffed aubergines with rice, chopped toms & veg topped with feta for us but could use cheddar for babies.

^^ That sounds yummy and will have to try it!! Thanks, Kitten.

i did isabel omlette for lunch today (fried in olive oil) and she loved it :thumbup: now this is the bizarre bit...i had some puree parsnip and sweet potato so mixed that in before i fried it and it added a really nice sweet flavour to it...must be why she liked it!!!

i guess that'd be an easy way to get LO to try different flavours and eat different stuff...just do like your own homemade version of spanish omlette with puree or whole veggies blended in...? :shrug:

Good idea, Wishing. I think I will try that for bfast this weekend. Not sure I can be bothered to puree anything, though. Otter might have to deal with veggie chunks. :haha:

thanks kitten that sounds yummy, know what we will be having for tea tomorrow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->