Blythe's birth story - long!

Discussion in 'Birth Stories & Announcements' started by marley2580, Aug 28, 2009.

1. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

Thanks to Holly for updating people for me.

Well on the 26th Aug I started getting irregular contractions while Kaya was down for her nap. 2 Hours later I decided to call OH to tell him to come home early as I felt that I couldn't cope with Kaya and contractions. While waiting for him I cooked some chicken soup to keep my mind off of things and the contractions were still a bit irregular. OH got home and called the MWs to give them a heads up that things might be happening that night. Gwenda (community MW) popped round to check me and see that everything was still ok (being a VBAC) and then left to go home and get her tea.

Gwenda called us about 6pm to see how I was getting on and she wanted to come round for another check. By this time the contractions were about 7 mins apart and starting to hurt. Once she came round she asked if I wanted an internal to see how I was getting on and if the head had descended. It turned out I was about 4cm but the head was still quite high (at the brim) but it wasn't free any more, which was good. She decided to stay and called the 2nd MW (Jane)

So I got my TENS on and we called my mum and asked her to come round and look after Kaya (who was hyper by this point). OH put her to bed and then started to fill the birth pool. I was on the TENS for about 45 mins, bouncing on my ball, and my mum arrived before the pool had finished filling. By this point (about 7:30pm) the contractions were getting quite intense so I wanted to get in the pool. I went upstairs to the loo, to get changed and to see where baby was. I was about 7/8 cm but the head was only 1 or 2 fifths palpable, so still quite high.

I got in the pool and almost immediately found that I couldn't really get into a comfortable position, I also found that I was boiling so OH and MWs had to use cold water to cool me down. I mentioned that I had changed my mind and I wanted to go to hospital, but I didn't really mean it at that time. After about 20 mins I wanted to get out and go to the loo again, after I got back downstairs I decided not to get back in the pool as I was still too hot and I didn't find that it was helping with the pain.

I bounced on my ball some more but the contractions were coming hard and fast and I was struggling with the pain. Again I said I wanted to go to the hospital but when the MWs asked if I was serious I said I didn't know. They said that they thought I was just scared and asked if I would feel safer in the hospital, but I told them it wasn't that it was just that I was struggling with the intensity and pain of the contractions. They asked if I wanted to try the gas and air and I said yes. It did help for a while but again the intensity and pain increased and again I really started to struggle with the pain.

About 10pm I said that I seriously wanted to go to the hospital as I couldn't cope with the pain. After making sure I was serious they called the ambulance, while waiting my waters went and I needed to start pushing, the pain got even worse and I actually started to lose it a bit. I was pushing really effectively but the head wasn't coming down (which is what happened with Kaya). When the ambulance got here I actually just about legged it - I got half way to the ambulance before a contraction hit me and I got the rest of the way before the next one got me lol.

We got to the hospital about 11pm and was taken to a delivery room, there was already an emergency happening in the theatre so there was no anaethsitist available. The monitors were struggling to pick up the HB so they put the clip on baby's head. Suddenly they made lie on my left as the HB was dipping. At this point it all becomes a bit of a blur, but they assembled another theatre team really quickly and got the spinal in. The doc had a quick look and decided to go straight for the section due to fetal distress. The baby was OP and looking up (face presentation), the cord was also tightly round her neck once.

During the section my womb tore slightly downwards which means that I'd have a higher risk of rupture if I was to try for another VBAC. But I've already decided that I won't be trying again. That's twice now that the baby has got stuck, and the contractions and pain were so intense this time that it would be better for me and the baby to have an elective next time.

Anyway, at 11:35pm, after only 6 hours of labour, our daughter Blythe was born weighing 8lb 13oz.

I'll post pics once I've uploaded them.

2. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

Congratulations Marley xxx

3. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

huge congratulations honey xx

4. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

Massive congratulations! I'm glad your both safe and well:)
    Can't wait for pics:)

5. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

6. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

Aw she is gorgeous hun! Is Kaya a proud sister:)

And must say you look fantastic:)

7. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Congratulations!!! Well done you both!!:hugs:

8. Rebaby

Rebaby Mama to 2 boys

Congratulations hun, she's beautiful :hugs:

9. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Congratulations, she has gorgeous lil chubby cheeks :D

10. Stephie 25

Stephie 25 Well-Known Member

11. isil

isil Well-Known Member

glad Blythe is here safe and sound! I agree with Kaci - you don't look like you've been through labour, pushing and a section in those photos! Supermum!

12. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

Congrats x

13. Mummy~L

Mummy~L Mummy to 2

Congrats she is gorgeous! x

14. sam's mum

sam's mum mum of two gorgeous boys

Congratulations... she's beautiful! Your photos made me cry! And how do you look so good after going through all that?! (That's not what made me cry :lol:)

So glad you're both well and very glad you decided to go to hospital when you did! x

15. She is gorgeous! Congratulations. xxx

16. embo216

embo216 Mummy to 3 <3

Congratulations! She's really beautiful- She has the same birthday as me too! :D

17. SarahMelissa

SarahMelissa Maxy & Benny's Mummy

18. pixie87

pixie87 Well-Known Member

congratulations shes a beauty xx

19. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

congrats!!!! sorry you didnt get the birth you wanted.

20. katycam

katycam Mummy to Austin

Huge congratulations :hugs: