BMI and uk Home birth

Whatme

Reaction score
Hi

My BMI is 32, will I have trouble getting the powers that be, to agree to a hb.,

I’m a size 14 in clothes.

Hiya my BMI is 31.5 and I was told it's not a problem unless it's over 35. I've been given the all clear for my homebirth (after having a normal gtt and growth scans due to bmi) xx

I’ve just worked it out, I’m fit and healthy, but don’t consider myself obese even if my numbers say otherwise.
I’m glad it’s all going to plan for your hb! So exciting

Absolutely not. You'd barely raise any red flags at only 32 BMI. I have a BMI of 30. I had a home birth with my first and now planning another with this baby. I am just over the line at 30 now (BMI first time was like 28/29), so though I'm considered low risk on all counts, the BMI did mean they offered me the option to have a GTT this time (which they didn't last time). I declined it as I don't see the point, eat healthy, fairly active, etc. Midwives were perfectly happy with that. Otherwise, it's not been an issue at all. I think above a BMI of 35 they can be a bit more twitchy, but still it's your choice and they have a duty of care to you and have to support you regardless of where you choose to birth.

I’ve just worked it out, I’m fit and healthy, but don’t consider myself obese even if my numbers say otherwise.
I’m glad it’s all going to plan for your hb! So exciting

I'm a size 14 normally and around 89kg. According to the height v weight charts, I'm morbidly obese. As far as the charts are concerned, at 5"5 I should be 48kg! Not happening! I am not a tiny, petite person and I never have been. I will not (if I choose to loose weight) push myself any lower than 65kg. Anything less than that and I would start looking really unhealthy. I would honestly ignore what the charts are telling you as they do not take bone density or family genetics into consideration.

BMI 30 or over extra growth scan at 34 weeks and offer GTT. Your choice to have either of these. I’d otherwise consider this low risk. It’s your choice where you have your baby. Stand your ground and ask for evidence if midwives/consultant try to tell you otherwise :)

At the end of the day it's your choice where you birth. So if you want a homebirth they can advise you against it if they want to but you don't need their permission. Look at the advice on aims and the NICE guidelines.

It's not like they can tell you you can't have a hb.

My bmi is over 30 and I had 3 lovely home births, no major problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->