BMI

Smile181c

Mummy to 3!
Reaction score
Had my booking in appt today with my mw and she calculated my BMI at 25 and said 'perfect!' as she was writing in my notes...I've just looked online and 25 is at the very edge of being classed as overweight!

I'm super paranoid now! I gained a lot of weight with my last pregnancy and obviously don't want to do the same again because it really affected my self esteem after the birth (and even now tbh) and now I'm thinking I can't really stand to gain anymore otherwise they'll class me as a higher risk?!

Not saying there is anything wrong with being overweight at all btw, I'm a firm advocate of live and let live but for me personally having weight related issues already, this has upset me a bit! I want to be able to give birth in the new midwife led center at my hospital, will this affect my chances?!

i hate BMI, i think its pretty pointless way of measuring someone.

How many times ive heard i cant do this or that because of my bmi. At end of the day it is your choice where you want to birth. Although im not very sure about MLC policies whether when they say no, it is a no.
Most of the time place of birth isnt talked about until 34+ weeks if youve had low risk pregnancy they will more than likely take you.

Deffo something you need to first ask your MW. If your not happy ask yo Speak with SoM.

BMI is just an average measurement. it doesn't say anything on how your body is built, the standard calculation doesn't include age or sex or even race (ie. take any black and any white catwalk model wearing the same size: the former one will most probably have a higher BMI as black people's bodies genetically contain more muscle mass and heavier bones by default), nor they include the % of fat and muscle mass, or where it is localized.

you never know how your body will react to this pregnancy, you may even find you'll lose some pounds. it's an extreme example, but.. my friend's mom gained weight while being pregnant with my friend (+10kg post-pregnancy) and lost beyond everything gained while being pregnant with his brother 9 years later (- 15kg compared to her pre-first pregnancy weight, so all in all -25kg). and never regained them, actually she was too skinny IMHO.

and ultimately, BMI is just a number. it doesn't always make sense. i'm pretty athletic and rarely see a doctor, those times i do they usually compliment me on keeping healthy and active. yet if i type my data into a BMI calculator i result underweight and should barely have a period, and lose bone mass and my immune system should be KO. yeah right. you are who you are and that is more important than any number.

so keep taking care of yourself and your body, and don't let a number bend you down!

I dont worry about bmi myself. Im a high bmi and it says im morbidly obese. If you saw me im only overweight but not huge. I think of morbidly obese as those who need two seats to sit on etc. Heck im only just over 200lbs and my drs arent at all concerned with my size. They can see how my body looks.

Thanks guys, just had a moment of freaking out! I'm really trying not to worry about my weight this time around but it's hard when I still have so many issues from last time! Need to just chill out and worry about it once the baby is here! xx

Exactly! Give yourself a break........ you are pregnant. You're growing a little human being in there. Focus on how amazing that is. I gained about 20kgs when I was pregnant with C and you would NEVER ever know it.

A BMI of 25 is absolutely fine. Please don't worry about it - it won't affect where you give birth at all.

I think my prev c sec is gonna affect my chances of a birth at the MLU, but that's a story for another day lol x

Not sure I'd be brave enough for that! Although why they'd allow me a hvbac over a vbac in an MLU is beyond me :haha:

My bmi was 25 when I had my booking in (was lower before but put on some lb's), I'm almost 28 weeks and I've put on 8lb. I don't think that's too bad? Where you can give birth goes on your booking in bmi though, they won't calculate it again as it is pointless further on x

I agree with what others have said but wanted to add:
Looks like you're 11 weeks, so I'd guess your BMI has gone up a tick or two, exactly as it should during pregnancy.

My bmi was exactly 25 at my midwife appt. she was happy with that- I think it only becomes an issue if you are significantly overweight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->