Boba wrap anyone?

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by Jadie, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that's struggling with baby wearing? He cries wriggles and fusses and hurts my back :( he's 13 weeks and 8.4kg. Is this too heavy? There is no weight limit according to the website but it puts strain on me. I've tied it according to YouTube instructional videos and written guide it comes with. He does eventually settle down so I think it's just because it's new to him...:wacko:

2. libbyam2003

libbyam2003 Toddler and infant

My baby is a bit lighter than yours and just now starting him in the soft structured carrier Ergo... but he's still a bit small for it so I'm also still using my wraps, although hurt my shoulders some so can't wear as long as I can wear him in the Ergo. Some wraps work better if really tight... my lovelyduds wrap is like that. I plan to buy a Boba 3G soon. :)

3. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

I can't get on with a carrier either! I must be the only one ! Lol thanks for your experience

4. MoldyVoldy

MoldyVoldy Khaleesi

i'm confused, are you referring to a wrap or a buckle carrier?

if you're using a buckle carrier i'd make sure the chest strap isn't too tight but tight enough to keep the shoulder straps from sagging. you want the chest strap to buckle RIGHT underneath your collarbone. make sure the waist buckle is comfortable. for some people this will be low around the hips and snug. for others this will be around your waist and snug. when you pull the straps to tighten your baby, pull downwards not horizontally. you want your baby to be nice and snug against your back, with their head at your shoulders. if they are any lower than this you may need an infant insert.

if you are referring to a wrap, make sure that you try out different carries. not all back carries will work for everyone. go to youtube and watch tutorials. type in "wrap back carry" and you will see a lot of different ways to wrap a back carry. my personal favorite is that back cross carry. make sure that the fabric that comes over your shoulders is pulled out and not bunched up - this will surely help the pain on your shoulders because you are distributing your LO's weight throughout the fabric when it is fanned out.

i know it's hard to explain things like this over the internet. my biggest advice is to use youtube :)

5. MoldyVoldy

MoldyVoldy Khaleesi

OH and my son is 4 years old and close to 40 lbs and i still wear him. it's possible :)

also make sure that when wearing your LO you keep your stomach pulled in and stand up straight. sometimes we have the urge to lean forward and you have to retrain yourself that this is not right.

6. too_scared

too_scared Finn's mommy <3

The boba wrap is stretchy, not safe for back carries. I hope you aren't doing a back carry with it.

If you like using a wrap you can look into a woven wrap. They aren't stretchy. They are great but do take practice. I found carrying my little guy in the Moby started to hurt when he got bigger. He would start to sag and would hurt my back. The Moby is stretchy like the boba wrap.

The best carry for the Moby for me was the front cross carry. It it's popable, meaning you can tie it on and put baby in and out easily without undoing it. There are lots of videos on YouTube.

I found my little guy wasn't loving it at first. You can try 10 minutes at a time and work upfrom there. My little guy loves it now. He gets so happy when he sees the wrap come out. Good luck.

7. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

I wear him on my front not back and I've tried the videos etc.
    Too scared sounds like same with me, my back aches. Could be postural. I'll keep trying!

8. xxLeighxx

xxLeighxx mummy to Aaliyah & Seth

I have the boba wrap and ergo carrier! I love my boba, so damn handy as LO is so fussy and likes to be carried! I do find that as hes near 14lbs now I do have to tie it super tight before hes put in it as it sags due to his weight but its not a problem. Why cant you get on with it? Whats the problem you are having? I also have just successfully used my ergo with the infant insert (hes much to small without it still)! I think babywearing just takes practice x

9. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

He just doesn't seem to like it! He cries and fusses in the wrap and carrier. Plus he's 8.4kg so he hurts my back to carry him for longer than 10minutes. I'm really upset because I love seeing all these babies in their carriers and wraps so happy and mine is screaming his little head off?

10. too_scared

too_scared Finn's mommy <3

My "little" guy is about 20 lb now and feels almost weightless in a woven wrap. I find he does make my shoulders tired after a while in my boba 3g (a soft side carrier).

It just takes some practice for both you and baby to get used to it.

We don't have any here :( but do have any Babywearing groups in your area? You could try out different wraps or carriers. :)

11. xxLeighxx

xxLeighxx mummy to Aaliyah & Seth

Keep persevering hun if you really want to babywear, its probably just because its new to him! Its hard becaise you dont want to waste money on carriers if he doesnt like them :( is he quite a fussy baby? Does he like to be held alot or is he happy being left alone? Xx

12. Jadie

Jadie Well-Known Member

Bit of both to be honest he is getting better