Body Creams; first-timer prone to stretch marks

BostonLover89

Reaction score
Hi ladies! This is my first pregnancy and I want to be very proactive regarding stretch marks. I am super prone to them and already have more than I'll ever need/want just from growing as a teenager.

What are your favorite/best creams to use during pregnancy to prevent/ moisturize skin? TIA!

No idea if it will really make a difference but I've started massaging with Palmer 's cocoa butter lotion for pregnancy. I think a good intake of water will also support good skin elasticity so working on that too!

No idea if it will really make a difference but I've started massaging with Palmer 's cocoa butter lotion for pregnancy. I think a good intake of water will also support good skin elasticity so working on that too!

I LOVE the smell of that stuff! I also read that hydration is super important as well as a protein rich diet. Unfortunately, I have also read that since it largely depends on your genetics, either you get them or you don't no matter what you do. Hope that is not the case.

Nature + nurture can impact each other, man! You may be able to affect it more or less than some other people but doing healthy stuff for your skin surely doesn't hurt so do what you can and see, nothing to lose!

I used cocoa butter and also a sweet almond oil base (with a few added essential oils) in my pregnancy. I have plenty of stretch marks from puberty and weight gain in the past, so am prone to stretch marks. But I didn't get one when I was pregnant. Honestly, I think it was mainly down to not gaining much weight and not gaining it too quickly. If you put on weight quickly, you'll be much more likely to get stretch marks, regardless of what creams or oils you use. I'm sure the creams helped and I'll use them again next time just because they do help with stretching skin and comfort, but if you can stay active and put on weight steadily and slowly, that will help a lot too.

Thanks for posting this!

I am also using palmers bath oil and natural Shea butter lotion. It smells great! And it really does improve the texture and evens out your skin tone. I am not sure about stretch Marks but I am seriously praying it helps for them as really worried about getting them as I am pretty small built and worried that my bump is eventually gonna stretch my skin out immensely! The joys of pregnancy lol.

I think palmers also has a stretch mark cream/oil. Going to stick with palmers until I find somethin that is better.

Would love to hear from more ladies what helped them during their pregnancies!

I don't actually think weight gain has anything to do with it in all cases. I didn't put on much weight during my pregnancy, I was at the lower end of healthy throughout. I gained 7kg in total and 3 weeks post c section I am back to my pre pregnancy weight. I had no stretch marks til 37 weeks, then I got them around my belly button. They aren't super bad, but they are definitely there!

I used bio oil twice a day which seemed to work to a point, but then it just got too much for my skin. My mum also has stretch marks.

Thanks ladies! It definitely seems like Palmers is a popular brand! In a perfect world, I will be able to gain weight at a steady pace, I haven't really been to the gym this week because I have been battling this sinus infection. My mom's stretch marks are fairly intense, but I am hoping that is due in large part to the lack of exercise, healthy diet, and no moisturizers during her pregnancy.

I found The Spoiled Mama Tummy Butter reviews to also be very positive, the 12oz jar is just SUPER EXPENSIVE!

Coconut/shea butter oil or cream will do, it's not so much the cream per se but remembering to use it often to keep the skin soft and to promote flexibility, if you're prone to get them nothing will stop them but this can reduce the amount and associated itching.

I used Bio Oil throughout my entire first pregnancy. Oiled myself from my thighs to my chest daily after bath, and not 1 stretch mark. As I got a little bigger, I'd do it also in the PM before bed. This time around, I'm doing it again!

I saw you're in the US, too! It's pretty expensive from the drugstore, but Costco sells a double pack for cheap :) Worth it!!!

I used Burt's Bees Mama Bee oil every night, then a belly butter from Nine Naturals every morning and didn't get stretch marks with my son. Staying hydrated is probably #1 though. Who knows if it was the oil, the butter, or the hydration though... So I'll do all 3 again! Lol

I personally feel nothing can prevent it :| I used bio oil through my first pregnancy and got stretch marks around 36 weeks!

This time I can feel it already. I've been applying palmers coconut for stretch marks cause my belly feels really itchy but I'm sure I will still get it! I just hope not so badly

Stretch marks can't be prevented by products alone. They will be 5 % effective while 50% can be blamed on genetics and the other on diet and hormones.

Entering your pregnancy with balanced hormones is a good start. I did a cleanse with DIM to rid myself of excess estrogen that builds up in women over time. Excess estrogen in pregnancy can affect the bodies ability to produce other hormones important in pregnancy (like progesterone).
Second nutrition is very very important. Modern diets are high in carbs (empty calories), low in good fats, high in vegetable oils and fiber, low in quality meat. The problem is that eating that way you won't get enough of the nutrients needed to prevent stretch marks.
Important for preventing stretch marks are:
-Zinc and Vitamin C for adequate tissue repair
-Balance of Omega 3/6 fatty acids. Diets these days are higher in Omega 6. I avoid all oils like corn, soy, canola, sunflower and instead eat coconut oil, (real, grasfed) butter (like kerrygold), virgin olive oil, palm oil.
Vitamin E
Gelatin or Collagen, can be obtained from bone broth, adding gelatin to foods, jello (home made, natural)
Liver, I ingest small amounts of liver through home made liver pills. Little cuts of liver are frozen and stored, take a few a week like any other supplement.

As far as hygiene goes - no soap, cleansing with water is enough. I have a mild organic bar soap here for other body parts. I use coconut oil for moisturizing, which delivers moisture far better than cream could. I don't even use skin creams for the face or body because it works so well.

These articles seems to talk about what I wrote, haven't read them fully but maybe they have some more info you'd like to read.

https://paleofitnessmama.com/how-to-not-get-stretch-marks/

https://cavegirlplusone.com/blog?offset=1375900424668

Marumi wow! Thank you for all the information! I will definitely give those articles a read!

Try consuming a couple tablespoons of gelatin powder a day. It is supposed to increase collagen production and make skin more elastic. Get enough omega 3s too.

-Marumi, posted before I saw your awesome response above. Lol thanks for the info!

Try consuming a couple tablespoons of gelatin powder a day. It is supposed to increase collagen production and make skin more elastic. Get enough omega 3s too.

-Marumi, posted before I saw your awesome response above. Lol thanks for the info!

Lol, how fun we came with the same advice ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->