Boo for a middle name?

I dont care for Boo as a middle name. First thing I think of is a ghost, BOO! lol. I saw that someone suggested Ella Elizabeth, and I love it! You could always just call her Ella Boo :)

I say no... I think it's super cute as a nickname, but not a legal middle name.

We call my son Bubba, or Bubs, but I would never have considered name him Daniel Bubba.

And as far as middle names appearing on legal docs, when we applied for our home loan and they did our background and credit checks, they pulled every name I had ever been known as:

Emily Rae C****
Emily R. C****
Emily C****
Emily Rae B******
Emily R. B******
Emily B******

It is printed on my passport, my driver's license, all my work authorization docs, my home owner's documents, my marriage docs, my college degree, my auto/home/life insurance, my social security card, my medical and dental insurance docs, my bank records, my son's birth cert, ... I know it's not universal, but mine pops up on a fairly regular basis. BUT, no, I didn't have to say it in my wedding vows. "I, Emily C****, take so-and-so...."

i used bubba for my bump too :)

but a passport isn't Canadian its INTERNATIONAL, and most countries do have laws on this :wacko:

No shit, Sherlock. However, whenever I have travelled abroad, I've only used my passport - I've never carried any other documents for them to *compare* it to and my passport doesn't have my middle name on it. It's never been a problem. So, :wacko: to you too.

I don't particularly like "plain" names either but Boo can clearly be considered ridiculous and cause trouble for the person. Why risk that, for your own daughter?

I know a girl who has the middle name of Marie and she HATES it and wishes her parents had been a little more original. How many women have the middle name of Marie, Rose, May, Lynn, Jane, Anne, etc? Sometimes it's nice to be a little different.

OP, weigh the pros and cons but if you guys honestly love it, then go for it. People get mocked for a lot less than a middle name. :flower:

your arguing against a thread full of people telling you in most countries the middle name is commonly used, your just starting to look silly now it may not be common where YOU live but in most places it is

and by the way I do know of people refused access to the country due to a missing name or only a middle initial on the passport - it happens quite a lot, why risk it

Oh god. Anyway, I'm not arguing, I find it genuinely interesting considering I have never encountered a problem before, nor seen a middle name play such a significant part in somebody's life. Different cultures are neat.

Erm how many country's do you need visas to get in, I bet there are a fare few and if your visa does not match your passport exactly your deported.

I'm firmly in the "it's a cute nickname but not a middle name" camp. Boo certainly isn't the most noteworthy name that I've encountered, and believe me I've encountered quite a few being in the field of education (Shithead, pronounced Shi Theed, takes the honor of most "unique"), but I just think it is best suited for a nickname. I am a person who prefers classic, traditionally spelled names. At the end of the day do what you like....whether or not we like it is irrelevant. :)

Okay ignoring all of the passport stuff, I think that Boo is weird but cute- reminds me of the little girl on Monster's Inc. I don't think it's too bad a middle name at all. It's only a middle name. If she hates it she won't use it and maybe something to consider with any unusual name is that if it causes problems for the child the parents should agree to drop it from their name, legally if need be. In my opinion it's interesting- how many kids hate their mundane names?! I had a best friend who wouldn't dare mention her middle name- Anne- for fear of embarrassment. And another called Sheila Joan Jones. Now that's cruel naming, at least she felt so, but no one would dare comment on it because it's 'normal'. There are far far weirder names, and most of her school friends will probably find it cute/interesting/funny. If it was a first name maybe it'd be pushing it a little, but it isn't. Like Onetwothreebp wisely said; OP you should weigh up the pros and cons but if you guys find that you truly love it then just go with it.

For the record, I'm in Canada as well and I didn't have to say my middle names when I got married, nor have I ever heard of anyone else here doing it. I also don't have my middle names on my passport. :flower:

Not trying to go to one side, just that it IS how it is here. Nothing wrong with that, just as nothing wrong with across the pond where they do use full names. :mrgreen: Talking about different cultures is very interesting, but lets try not to slam each other for what is normal in one spot is very different in another. That goes both ways ;)

To the OP:

Personally I wouldn't use "boo" as a middle name, mainly for fear of my kiddo getting teased and such, as a PP mentioned it can be made fun of very easily. That's just me though.

I LOVE it, but then I have a daughter called Honey (alongside Naomi-Mae, Kaysie Blossom, Riley Rae and Morgan) so I kinda like names that are a little different but not way out there.

Honestly none of mine have been bullied for their names and well they've been bullied for other things because children can be mean, but they can be mean about anything not just a name and if they target one child, if they didnt have that name it would be because of something from their appearance, their personality etc. I am working on making my children secure in themselves so that they are proud of the way they look (Naomi-Mae has ginger hair and she will say how beautiful it is to everyone) their names (Kaysie Blossom knows her name is unusual but adores it and tells everyone so), the way they are (Naomi-Mae got bullied for being too kind :wacko:) so that when someone does find that thing to bully them about well they will say so what. We cant avoid bullies no matter what we did, a name (especially a middle one) wont change if your child is targeted so it is better to help our children be confident in themselves and not be afraid to share if they are being bullied.

Long ramble, but yeah, hope you all understood that.

Oh and the thing is unusual names are becoming more and more normal, when your child is an adult people probably wont bat an eyelid to Boo because well as I said it will be normal.

where do people get thins idea that unusual names will become the norm...

have you heard some of the stupid names from the 60s that where popular with the 'new' generation - 50 years on we still look at groovee nipple and stardust-pink as stupid names (many of the adults ive met or heard of with stupid 60s name changed them as adults btw)

have you heard some of the stupid names from the 60s that where popular with the 'new' generation - 50 years on we still look at groovee nipple and stardust-pink as stupid names (many of the adults ive met or heard of with stupid 60s name changed them as adults btw)

LOL... Groovee Nipple...

LOL... Groovee Nipple...

real name of a real woman lol (read 'im with the band' by Pamela Des Barrs) she was a member of a girl group called GTO in the 60s... its a surreal book lol

my friend said the best though 'not only did they give the poor girl the stupidest name in history but they didn't even have the curtsey to spell it right' lol... so on top of repeating it she'll have to spell it too

I don't usually oppose to names because even of I've not liked them I think people tend to suit their names and grow into them. I'm sorry but I'm not sure this would happen with boo. I think a little girl is more likely to grow out of it. I love Bo or beau though!!

Hope you come to a name you love soon. It's a difficult task choosing a babies name I think. Something they have to live with. X

Just like to say Im in the UK and we didnt have to say our middle names when we got married :shrug:

I personally wouldn't use it as a middle name, but each to their own, its your child and your choice x

Because I've seen the list of names at my children's school. Plus I cant remember if it was 2011 or 2012 but for the first time ever there were more children with names outside of the top one hundred than those within it. So more unusual names are becoming the norm.

I will try and find an article on it, in the morning. Too tired now.

ETA Unusual doesnt have to mean really far out their names, like Groove Nipples.

Just wanting to say that my personal opinion is that it's really cute for a nickname but I wouldn't use it as a middle name. :flower:

Because I've seen the list of names at my children's school. Plus I cant remember if it was 2011 or 2012 but for the first time ever there were more children with names outside of the top one hundred than those within it. So more unusual names are becoming the norm.

I will try and find an article on it, in the morning. Too tired now.

ETA Unusual doesnt have to mean really far out their names, like Groove Nipples.

but there not becoming the norm there being a current fad

unusual names can be fine as long as they are or at least sound like names, its silly names that are stupid like naming your child after an item or saying ect...

This is lacking in logic. The fact that a "top 100", which does not contain names such as Boo or Groovee Nipples, exists at all indicates that, nationwide and on average, these names are not "becoming the norm"

Regarding your school, think of all the hundreds of thousands of names a parent can possibly choose. The top 100 is just 100. It may well be true that in the school your children attend there are "more kids not in the top 100 than in it", but what does this prove when the statistics are actually considered? Your one school is not representative of a nation. Official data is representative of a nation. If these names really were "becoming the norm" they would be the top 100.

Furthermore, I doubt many of the kids you're talking about who are "out of the top 100 and not in it" have names as outlandish as Boo. Boo is the name we are talking about here, not any name not in the top 100 most popular. Lack of popularity is not the issue.

Your perspective on this thing is wonky.

i think its a bit of a nickname... like sugar bear

This is lacking in logic. The fact that a "top 100", which does not contain names such as Boo or Groovee Nipples, exists at all indicates that, nationwide and on average, these names are not "becoming the norm"

Regarding your school, think of all the hundreds of thousands of names a parent can possibly choose. The top 100 is just 100. It may well be true that in the school your children attend there are "more kids not in the top 100 than in it", but what does this prove when the statistics are actually considered? Your one school is not representative of a nation. Official data is representative of a nation. If these names really were "becoming the norm" they would be the top 100.

Furthermore, I doubt many of the kids you're talking about who are "out of the top 100 and not in it" have names as outlandish as Boo. Boo is the name we are talking about here, not any name not in the top 100 most popular. Lack of popularity is not the issue.

Your perspective on this thing is wonky.

While I'm also in the "Boo's not a name" camp, Tasha's logic is actually sound. All she's saying is that a wider variety of names are being used more commonly now (as in variance has increased), not that one individual peeviously unusual name has become popular. More names outside of the top 100 being used will mean that people's perceptions of what's "unusual" will change. Having said that, I don't think Boo will ever be regarded as not unusual.

not being rude as it sucks to say bad things about others choices but you are aware your child will grow up and be an adult one day right

do you think she want to stand as a 20 something on the happiest day of her life in front of friends and family and say 'I, Maisie boo, take you ......., to be my lawfully wedded husband' also how will employers judge her on a CV (bare in mind there is a quickly growing lack of jobs in this world)

honey boo boo is all I can think (and at least that's only a nickname)

this! a name is for life. It might sound cute on a baby. I personally would be horrified If my parent's had given me this as a name :wacko: sorry x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->