Book recommendations

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Chel, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Chel

Chel Well-Known Member

I've been reading "twilight" and while I get its the popular book of the month sort of thing, its great book to read, because it reads easily and its nice and predictable, so it doesn't take too much brain capacity to read - as truthfully it's aimed at a female late teens audience, so it does have the feel of a 'chick flick' romance, with a little bit of sexiness and vampires...

Does anyone else want to recommend good reading books? Personally, I'll be done with this book by the end of the week (I started it two days ago and I'm half way through, but I go through books quickly!) So I'd personally love further recommendations!

2. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

I love history books, and historical fiction. Not sure if that you're thing though?

3. Aria

Aria Guest

Angela's Ashes, Lord of the Rings, Philippa Gregory's loosely-historical novels, or, if you want to really go back to kid-hood, Babysitter's Club books. :) I've been reading the BSC books as a break from the seriousness and/or over-sexuality if adult books, just downloaded those suckers for free.

4. foxyroxie

foxyroxie Well-Known Member

Chel i love twilight read it the same day i got it stayed up till gone 12 couldnt put it down i have also read 2,3 and 4 to it there good to!!! :D watched the film saturday isnt as good as the book though :(

5. Aria

Aria Guest

How often are movies as good as the books? Lord of the Rings, but that's it. :D

6. foxyroxie

ive not really read many bvooks then watched the films :blush:

7. booflebump

booflebump Mummy to Toby

Stef Pennys The Tenderness of Wolves....The Steig Larsson books - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who played with Fire, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, anything by Maggie O Farrell......The Time Travellers Wife and The Kite Runner xxx

8. babystar

babystar Guest

I am biased and will say anything by Stephen King (he is all i read really)

9. Soontobe

Soontobe Well-Known Member

If you liked twilight read , city of bones, city of ashes, city of glass series..they are a fantasy with a love story etc..

10. foxyroxie

o0o thank u huni :D

11. NickyT75

NickyT75 RIP Sophie my angel

You'll have to read all 4 books in the Twilight series hun :thumpup:

Eclipse
    New moon
    Breaking Dawn

I read the 1st one then had to buy all the others too... loved them! x

12. foxyroxie

there might be a 5th its from Edwards view :D red someones comment on play.com today

13. butrfly

butrfly Mom to Sweet Elijah

if you're into vampires: Let the Right One Come In is quite a good read. if you want something more serious but on the same subject, The Historian is a thick book you can sink your teeth into.

Other good books to read would be The Time Traveler's Wife (500+ pages which i've re-read for about five times), The Orange Girl is quite interesting (but real short), and Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas is quite heart-warming.

I re-read Stephen King books for the fun of it. And Terry Pratchett is always entertaining for me.

14. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is pretty brainless reading and dowright hilarious.
    J.D. Robb's In Death series is awesome but does require using your brain.
    Hannah Howell is pretty brainless in the "historical" romance arena.
    Bertrice Small is pretty good (and imaginitive ;)) but pretty much requires the brain to be working.

15. alio

alio Well-Known Member

i love 'the book of lost things'.....
    [​IMG]
    if you've ever seen the film pan's labyrinth it's a bit like that... beautifully written, so visual. xx

16. CurlySue

CurlySue P.I's Mummy

The Book Thief is utterly, utterly beautiful. I read constantly. You never catch me without a book in my hand and my shelves are brimming, but that one never fails me. I have read it four times. It's still as beautiful now as the first time. The last line alone just makes me want to cry.

17. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

I am the same as rafwife! Currently i am reading loads about the chinese dynasty and just finished one about Japan its shogun, cocubines etc.

I started another just last week which i thought was historical but its fantasy....bleurgh!

I would recommend:

The last Concubine.
    Empress Orchid. Author - Anchee Min
    The Last Empress. Author - Anchee Min

Thats all i can think of right now.

18. alio

alio Well-Known Member

i have to say it's lovely to see a book thread with some interesting books on rather than just the usual chick lit... no offence.....

19. MaryJ

MaryJ Mom of 1 soon to be 2!

Hey now I'm into the chick lit atm :D It's a new thing for me though. I used to prefer police procedurals and murder mysteries. I have also recently discovered Vince Flynn and love him.

20. alio

alio Well-Known Member

awwww.... no offence honey! just does my head in!!! :dohh: xxxx