Book recommendations

ellieb31

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning on having as natural a birth as possible and using a birthing pool. I'll be at a midwife run unit attached to the hospital and they have 3 pools so hopefully one will be available. My DH (and women at my antenatal classes) don't understand why I would like to avoid an epidural/pethedine/spinal - everyone seems to think I should demand the drugs asap!

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone can recommend any books to prepare me mentally for having as natural a birth as possible? I don't want to hypnobirth (long story) but i do think that having the right attitude/mindset will make a world of difference to how i cope with the pain.

Thanks very much!

Hi Ellie!

I highly recommend these books, they have been my favourite in my own birth preparation:

Michel Odent, Birth Reborn: This is by the guy who popularised waterbirths. Brilliant book.

Ina May Gaskin, Guide to Childbirth: Considered to be one of the most influential natural birth proponents, a great overall book about natural childbirth. She has another book, Spiritual Midwifery, which is very hippyish and not exactly to my liking, but might be something you want to read as there are lots of stories about natural childbirth in there.

Janet Balaskas, Active Birth: If you take an Active Birth antenatal yoga class, it will be based on this book. It basically takes about natural childbirth and positions which you can go into (some with the help of your DH, birthing partner, etc) which can aid with pain relief and getting the baby into a good position.

Juju Sundin, Birth Skills: Another book on how to manage your pain without the use of (or in addition to) drugs. My DH really likes this book as it has sections specifically for how to get the partner involved in the birth and relaxation techniques.

Ina May is a must and my all time fav is Birthing The Easy Way by Sheila Stubbs.

Thanks very much - will hit the library at the weekend to see what they have from your suggestions.

Well I went to my local library today and they only had about 10 pregnancy books and they were all about getting pregnant and pregnancy rather than birth and they didn't have any of the recommended books. I'll have to visit the big library in town I think.... Bah humbug, I thought I'd be spending this evening having a good read :-(

Oh sorry ladies, I didn't realise this thread was already going! Just posted up my own thread! hahaha!
Thank you for the tips!
Ellie - you can always get an inter-library loan.. no need to go trapsing around - get list from amazon, with ISBN and then just go to your local, and wait for them to come in.
XxX

These are the book I want;
Home Birth: The Politics of Difficult Choices , 8th Nov 2010
Mary L Nolan
ISBN 0415557550
Review
Home Birth: the politics of difficult choices focuses on the experiences of women whose choices were opposed by health professionals during their pregnancy journey. It confronts why and how women are being denied home birth and raises some challenging issues for current midwifery practice. Using ten women’s narratives, this important volume explores why women might want to give birth at home and considers ideas of risk and informed choice in pregnancy and birth. The book includes chapters on communication and language; fear and stress; advocacy and autonomy; fathers’ experience of contested place of birth and free birthing.
Pointers to best practice are presented whilst the text incorporates women’s narratives throughout, making this a practical and relevant read for midwifery students as well as practising midwives and childbirth educators, all of whom have a duty to make home birth a real option for women.
Why do women choose to give birth at home, even in situations defined as medically risky? Are they ignorant? Irresponsible? Risking their babies' lives for their own good experience? Mary L. Nolan explores this uncharted territory with respect and intelligence, creating a fascinating and invaluable resource for carers involved with home birth and/or women with "high risk" pregnancies. Women and families choosing home birth will especially enjoy the voices of strong-minded women who are making their own choices.’
Dr Sarah J. Buckley, author of Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering, www.sarahjbuckley.com

Supporting Women to Give Birth at Home: A Practical Guide for Midwives, 15TH June 2011
Mary Steen
ISBN-10: 0415560306
Review
Supporting Women to Give Birth at Home describes and discusses the main challenges and issues that midwives encounter when preparing for and attending a home birth. To ensure that a home birth is a real option for women, midwives need to be able to believe in a woman’s ability to give birth at home and to promote this birth option, providing evidence-based information about benefits and risks. This practical guide will help midwives to have this confidence. It is organised into three parts:
Part one introduces the history of birth and the present birth choices a woman has.
Part two discusses preparation for a homebirth.
Part three covers attending a homebirth.
Case studies exploring recent home birth experiences will help illustrate this accessible text. It will be of interest to students studying issues around normal birth and will be a valuable resource for clinically based midwives, in particular community based midwives, home birth midwifery teams and independent midwives.

Pushing for Midwives: Homebirth Mothers and the Reproductive Rights Movement, 25th Nov 2010
Christina Craven
ISBN-10: 1439902208
Review
With the increasing demand for midwives among U.S. women, reproductive rights activists are lobbying to loosen restrictions that deny legal access to homebirth options. In Pushing for Midwives, Christa Craven presents a nuanced history of women's reproductive rights activism in the U.S. She also provides an examination of contemporary organizing strategies for reproductive rights in an era increasingly driven by "consumer rights." By framing the midwifery struggle through a political economic perspective on reproductive rights, Pushing for Midwives offers an in-depth look at the strategies, successes, and challenges facing midwifery activists in Virginia. Craven examines how decades-old race and class prejudices against midwives continue to impact opposition too as well as divisions within women's contemporary legislative efforts for midwives. She argues that this recognition is vital for both scholars and activists if they hope to maintain their commitment to expanding reproductive rights for all women.

Books that I have previously read are:
Homebirth, Nicky Wesson
Childbirth without fear, Dr Dick grantly Reed.
Hypnobirthing, Marie Mongan
XxX

Here is a good one for the birthing partners in your life - though is says father's guide, don't see why it isn't applicable to every type of birthing partner!

The Father's Home Birth Handbook, Leah hazard, 3 Nov 2008
ISBN-10: 0956071104

Do you think you could get your birthing partner to read it, though?
Mine said he would have read it the before the first one, but now he thinks he's an old hand at it all now, and wouldn't as he wants to be natural!! Hahaha! He is using my own language against me!
XxX

The best Birth Partner handbook IMHO is:

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.

ISBN-10: 1558321950

great for doulas and fathers alike :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member