Boots the Chemist and pregnant women GRRR!

C

Cherrybinky

I rang the Drs on Tuesday so get some allergy advice. They never got back to me.
So, I went into Boots yesterday to speak with the pharmacist only to be abruptly told by a member of normal counter staff that they dont deal with pregnant woman with allergy problems and I need to see a Dr. I was taken back I left very upset.
Ive been to Drs this morning and hes given me 3 prescriptions and couldnt understand why Boots pharmacist just didnt give me something over the counter.
I went back into Boots and actually spoke to the lovely friendly pharmacist and explained everything to her. She said the tablets the Dr has given me arent really pregnancy friendly but the spray and eye drops are fine. Shes advised another one that treats everything all at once in one spray for next time.
Needless to say, I complained about the other women, who was right there on the counter! I glared at her.

Boots have informed me, they cannot give certain over the counter medicines to pregnant woman including anything allergy related or thrush, cystitis etc. If they'd just nicely explained that yesterday to me instead of being rude, it would all have been fine!

Grrrrr.:growlmad:

Grrrrrr some people in shops are very annoying. That said I used to work in both McDonalds and Dorothy Perkins as a student and would say some customers are just as annoying!

She could have at least explained why. Rude :growlmad:

God sorry you had that experience, I was lucky when I went to boots a couple of weeks ago and the pharmacist I spoke to handed me a nasal spray immediately!

That's terrible! I've started popping up the road to our local chemist for any advice because the receptionist at the Drs won't let me see a doctor and I've found that the pharmacist there is prepared to advise as far as she can or tell me what to say to get past the receptionist!

I had the exact same problem in Boots. I asked my midwife at my appointment if there was anything I could take for hayfever as I suffer really badly and she told me normal Piriton was fine and they use it on the wards for allergies but the chemist refused to sell it to me! I went straight to a walk in clinic, got a prescription and went back. She gave it to me then!!

Ive always gone to a pharmacist for things like that as they usually know more about the drugs than the Dr but and in this case the SO did but the first day I went in, they were just plain rude. Im glad I went to the Drs as the pharmacist told me not to take the tablets I was prescribed as theyre citirizine which is also know as zirtek which pregnant woman cant take. She told me the nasal sprays are fine even though theyre steroid based as theyre local and dont hit the blood stream. Dr told me otherwise. Grrr.

This reminded me of the chemists near us, who told us we could not purchase Tixylix for my sister because she was under 12 years old, when the front of the bottle clearly states that its only suitable up until the age of 12!
Some pharmacists are so infuriating!x

Some Drs are just as bad though!

I'll be honest-we have a tiny little independent pharmacy near us and I go to him before I ever call on the doctor. He's wonderful, and takes the time to listen to people and actually look stuff up to find out whether it's bad in pregnancy, or with other drugs or so on. I trust them more than I trust any GP. And he will deal with pregnant ladies, just won't sell stuff that is clearly unsuited.

I had the same problem in the US. I asked which cough syrup was safe during pregnancy. The pharmacist promptly said they are not allowed to give medication info to pregnant women and to call my doctor. I ended up going to pregnancy.org to see which med was safe. They can post it online but she couldnt just tell me??

i just send my OH to get stuff if i think they wont give it to me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"