Borderline Gestational Diabetes?

frsttimemama

Trying again w/ Baby #2!
Reaction score
So I failed my 1 hour glucose screening, and I failed one of the 4 blood draws for the 3 hour glucose test.. my doctor says that even though the numbers look okay, she still feels like I'm borderline with gestational diabetes. Okay. I can handle that I think.. but I just don't know what to eat. I was doing low carb before I got pregnant, so I mean I know how to limit the cabs, but she wants me to cut the salt too because she's worried about pre-eclampsia because I have high blood pressure, but so far it's been well controlled. At this point, I still feel clueless. When I was doing low carb, I was eating lots of meats and cheeses and such.. which are all full of salt. So in theory, those are a "no-no". I've been trying to eat meats, fruit, veggies, lots of water, and limit bread and potatoes and other types of carbs, especially chocolate and ice cream, but the fruit really isn't low in carbohydrates.. and trying not to add salt to my plate. What types of diets are the rest of you eating? I could use some suggestions if you have any please. :) Thank you!

I'm really surprised your doctor has you limiting salt, as it has not been recommended to do so in pregnancy for many years. Check out this site and what it says about your salt intake and pre-eclampsia:

https://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id36.html

The GD is NOT low carb. It is a balanced diet with a set number of carbs/ protein. Low carb can make ketones which can harm the baby. I have 60g of carb with 21g of protein for meals. Sticking to whole grain/ natural carbs is best. Usually it's worse in the morning, so things like juice are completely out for me then. They didn't really tell me to restrict salt, but I don't add salt to anything really.

I just got diagnosed last week . i have been on the plan for almost a week now and to tell u the truth i am starving. so eithr i am not doing it right or not putting enough carbs in.. my levels seem to do okay but its hard to kinda know what to eat, it aint easy.. :( but its good for baby :)

I just got diagnosed last week . i have been on the plan for almost a week now and to tell u the truth i am starving. so eithr i am not doing it right or not putting enough carbs in.. my levels seem to do okay but its hard to kinda know what to eat, it aint easy.. :( but its good for baby :)

Are you in the UK or US? I am not the least bit hungry and I rarely eat everything on my meal plan (just can't physically). The UK from what I've seen usually has WAY less carbs though.

I am in the US and had GD with my first pregnancy. The diet plan they had me on never made me hungry. In fact, I often felt overly full at times. I also had High Blood Pressure and was never told to avoid salt.

Are you seeing a dietician for your GD nutritional plan? Like amjon, my dietician had me on a balanced meal plan of carbs and proteins--I was never hungry.

I'm in the US and have been on a diet plan for about 5 weeks with good numbers (although they are slowly rising! Not much you can do at a certain point). Like Amjon said it's just about balancing your diet. I'm allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks. Allowed to skip snacks but never meals. Limit your strach to 1/4th of your plate per meal, Veggies are half the plate, and protein for the other 1/4th. My diet includes 60carbs for lunch and dinner, 30 carbs for breakfast and snacks. I'm never hungry!

HMM.. ok well i am not too sure if i am doing it right then. i am in canada. , my meals are 3 and 3 snacks. before meals my sugars are to be 5.3 1 hr after 7.8 2 hr after 6.7..
but after every meal its usually not even 6 over.. maybe i am not eating enough carbs i have lost 7 lbs in the last week and a half, i was overweight to begin with however. . i go back to see them on sunday. they said to do breakfast 15- 30 carbs. snack 15 - 30 lunch 45-60 and snack 15- 30 then dinner 45 to 60 then another snack before bed.. i do 2 pieces of toast with pb and half cup of milk in morning 1% then fibre one bar for snack lunch is sometimes lean cuisine and fruit then snack and dinner .. i eat alot of veggies throughout the day so i dunno? are u guys on a meal plan i had to make my own which is maybe why i quite dont have alot of numbers high.. ?

HMM.. ok well i am not too sure if i am doing it right then. i am in canada. , my meals are 3 and 3 snacks. before meals my sugars are to be 5.3 1 hr after 7.8 2 hr after 6.7..
but after every meal its usually not even 6 over.. maybe i am not eating enough carbs i have lost 7 lbs in the last week and a half, i was overweight to begin with however. . i go back to see them on sunday. they said to do breakfast 15- 30 carbs. snack 15 - 30 lunch 45-60 and snack 15- 30 then dinner 45 to 60 then another snack before bed.. i do 2 pieces of toast with pb and half cup of milk in morning 1% then fibre one bar for snack lunch is sometimes lean cuisine and fruit then snack and dinner .. i eat alot of veggies throughout the day so i dunno? are u guys on a meal plan i had to make my own which is maybe why i quite dont have alot of numbers high.. ?

I would skip the lean cuisine and try to have a piece of meat with rice or potatoes and veggies. I find my numbers are usually lower if I do start with a salad, so that would probably help too. Greek yogrut is pretty filling, so I do try to do that for snacks. For lunch I'll sometimes have a sandwich with milk and veggies. If you are hungry and losing weight, then you may need to go back and have your plan adjusted. They told us at our class if we started losing weight to call.

I'm not on a specific plan. I'm not seeing a dietician. She just told me to watch what I'm eating. Watching the salt has nothing to do with GD, but rather, because she is worried about my blood pressure, which so far, has been fine, and preeclampsia.

FYI - fruit, veggies && starches are all high in carbs. Managing GD is mainly about portion control

yes fruits are very high in sugar,.even bananas. so i do avoid alot of fruit only twice a day and eat tons of meat and chicken with veggies. :)

FYI - fruit, veggies && starches are all high in carbs. Managing GD is mainly about portion control

Most veggies are NOT high in carbs and are considered free on my GD diet. Fruit does have carbs, but it really isn't normally all that high. A piece of fruit is usually one carb. Starches are a bit higher. You do need to see how much a carb is and count them appropriately. If you have 2 pieces of bread that is usually 2 carbs. (1 carb=15g total carb on packaging, check serving size)

On my diet some veggies are higher in carbs than others, but def not a 'free food' like fats & proteins are. But not as high as starch, fruit && milk (I knew I was forgetting one since it was 3:30AM when I wrote that lmao)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->