Bottle and breast feeding, sticking with breast hopefully, do you think????

charlie07

Reaction score
Hi Girls

I have been reading, as much as I can when I have time, about breast and bottle feeding.

I have had a problem as in I wasn't producing enough milk, doc said so and suggested I give formula as well as breast as Gabbi wasn't getting enough on breast alone.

She has latched on no problem, but trust it to be down to me and my milk supply. I have not been able to express either, I don't think I even managed an ounce with both breasts!!!!

I keep reading how your baby could refuse breast if on bottle too much but at the moment, fingers crossed, she still takes both. She tends to fall asleep when put on the breast but stays awake for the bottle. I am only managing to feed her once a day with the breast as this seems to be the only time I can manage to feed her fully. I did put he on the breast last evening as one was full and sore, she had a good feed, but only 10 minutes and then she was asleep!!!!

Anyway, my mum arrives on Monday to meet her grand daughter, can't wait, and she is bringing the pump my sister used and had good success with expressing, so I am hoping to start again. I have read that it will not be too late, but will take some time and patience.

Do you girls agree or am I just wasting my time and should just stick with formula??? I so want to breast feed but have found formula easier, especially during the night as making the formula up and feeding her keeps me awake where as breast feeding, I find myself drifting and that scares me!!!! Breast feeding is so much better for her, so really hope that it won't be too late!

Got to go, what a surprise, she's now due her feed!!!! She is forever hungry!!!

congrats by the way charlie Ive been having a similar prob my left boob is abit duff and doesnt make nearly as much milk as the right so Ive been supplimenting with formula since birth a kinda half and half thing Ive also been pumping my boobs like theres no tommorrow and finally my crappy left boob is catching up, I just bouhgt a medela swing pump therefore Im hoping because like you shell go to either breast or bottle I can slowly replace fomula feeds with at least expressed breastmilk, I do feel like Im losing this battle though because she is know on 4 oz instead of 3 which my poor boobies were coping with. but Ill keep perserving and hopefully get there. annmarie has just done a similar thing and has managed to get Mia back onto breast she might be able to help.

take care and well done

Hun, if you really want to breast feed, then it won't ever have been a waste of time.

The more u put her to the breast the more milk you will produce, even if she's not getting much at first it's still helps!

I have had very similar problems. My little boy was a very sleepy feeder up to a week ago (he is 4 weeks now). He was not putting on weight and I was told by the HV to top up with formular as my breast milk was not enough for him.

We have been combining breast and bottle for a week now and so far it's working for us.

Now I feed him 6/7 times on the breast and also give 2/3 bottles a day. We started by giving him a bedtime bottle and this seemed to improve his appetite after a couple of days. He now feeds much more enthusiastically at the breast and we give him a bottle if he's still hungry. Our little boy is now putting on weight and we are all happier. He still likes taking the boob and I like to breast feed him. I agree with you that this is important even if I can't produce all the milk he needs.

Good luck hun :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->