Bottle battle!

lindsayryan

Reaction score
Hi,

For the past couple of days it has been a complete nightmare trying to get LO to drink milk.....never ever been a problem before and normally drinks 7oz 5 times a day. But its like i have to force it down him recently, each feed taking around an hour and still not getting it all. He is just pushing it out with his tongue and squirming to get away from it after drinking the first 2oz, he has also been sick quite a lot, he has always been a sicky baby so im not sure if it is much more than normal but feel like im noticing it more cos he isnt drinking as much. He has also got loads of little spots all round his chin which i thought were from drool but they have gone near his ears now aswell.... pharmacist said could be a number of things but def not to worry about them unless they get worse.

He has had 23 oz today and been a total nightmare to get that into him, normally he has 35oz no prob, i have started to give him one meal a day but that was a few weeks ago (by meal i mean couple of ice cubes) and have not increased that so cant be because of that as was fine for ages.

Any ideas, could it be teething problems (he has also been a lot more tearful) or should i take to see the doc tomorrow? They think im strange at that walk in centre as i go for every little thing!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay! x

weird my LO has been exactly the same today but no spots of anything, just totally disinterested after 2 ounces, even though she was crying for a bottle.... weird.

have you gone up to the next size teat? that might makes a difference.
xx

23 oz is fine at his age hun. They go through phases of refusing milk feeds. Do you hold him to feed? you can try to feed him with no distraction, in a dark room, on your bed with a pillow to elevate his upper body. Some LOs start to get distracted while feeding. Omar went through this phase at around 5 months & he was taking less than 12-15 oz in 24 hrs. also introducing solids could be the reason, he might be prefering solids/spoon feeding. Try to spoon feed him his formula, if he takes it with no problems, then the problem is with sucking. He could also be teething & sucking hurts his gums because of the blood rash while feeding or he started to prefer spoon feeding. If it goes on for a longer period, stop offering him solids as he need his milk more than his solids (we started weaning at week 20 due to reflux & it was fine for 2 weeks, then he started to drop his milk feeds & started to throw up more so we had to stop weaning & start again at 6.5 months). Or it could be the teat size.

It's trial & error hun. xx

Thanks for replies, i have bought new teats got size 2 and 3 the 3 chocked him so i will stay away from then for a while! He managed to take 26oz today so i guess thats fine just not used to it as he has never refused bottles before! Still took ages to get him to have it tho tried dark room putting him in his bed, pram but nothing changed it, Took him to the docs today for cream for his rash as getting really red under his chin and had a bit near his eyes today...dr said it was a teething rash so maybe it is hurting him a bit to suck....will see how he gets on then will go to see HV on monday.

Thanks againx

Frankie had a week of this last week, he would glug the first 4/5 oz and then after winding he just point blank refused the rest, screaming and crying if the teat was in his mouth. I changed to size 3 teats and after a couple of days he was fine again. It did last a good week though, maybe once your LO gets used to the new teat he will be back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->